Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #31
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
it seems the only real drivers are F1 competitors and there isn't many of them to start with.

Don't forget rallye car drivers, apparently.

Funny that out of all the controls in a car, from steering, brakes, accellerator, and all the parts of a car, from suspension and springs, alignment, engine, etc, the ONLY thing that makes a person a driver is a third pedal and a little lever to move between gears.

Yeah, I like a good manaul, all the new cars I've bought have had them, my Fiat has a manual, and I even decided to adapt a Supra manual trans to the Lexus V8 going in my Comet, but man, wannabe engineers like this really piss me off with their inane commentary on what makes a "driver."

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #32
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Well if it gives you any consolation, good engineers rarely use their qualification as a stick to beat a protagonist into submission. If an argument can't be made by explaining and reasoning it becomes a dud and no one is the wiser. You only have to go to a party and you can spot the self opinionated engineer.....he's the one who can't hold a conversation, can't dress and if he holds court; talks shop, boring the bejesus out out everyone.

I don't care if I'm not a "real" driver, I easily wipe the floor with most gear slammers in my factory auto tranny fitted daily drive. And as i have posted before I can drink my coke, eat my chips, use my mobile and rest my left foot.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #33
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Oh and one more thing, that I think ChrisV touched on. European cars are generally buzz boxes. Shoving an auto in these would probably shave about 50% of the available power to the wheels at cruising rpm.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:53 AM   #34
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mid europe
Posts: 110
Sorry

O.K. then, I donít like you to call me assclown, but on the other hand, I just might asked for it, with me calling you infantile. I apologize, that kind of attitude will never happen again from my side. I think that this conversation has reached level that I donít want to have part of. I provoked it myself. I admit that I am wrong for insulting others publicly, so to those who read this. I made mistake, I am wrong about calling Mr. Chris V. infantile, beside the fact that he isnít infantile, I canít go around calling people names. I agree that I am taking this too much by the book, but undeniable fact is that I like to do that. I might not be right, but also that shows my opinion which is, you must admit, subjective and respective even if not everyone agrees, is it? I take Chrisís posts with highest regard and I respect his experience. But, I disagree. If you can, I think that you should send me technical drawing of both gearboxes together with their materials specifications (for same engine), so I can analyze their mass, durability (using Smithís diagrams and Velerís curve), therefore we can get relevant results. Not to argue just to piss off each other. Chris V, I hold very high opinion about you, I donít want to loose your respect. It is important to me that I stand behind my words. Very moment that I have red your post, I got feeling to apologize and explain myself. It is very hard time for me. Donít get me 100% serious, because I need some time for myself. I have had period of stress, because exams have came, life is expensive here, this country is very unfriendly towards loners, I am in divorce progress, I am under medication treatment, asthma is killing me, mental disorders are dragging me into pit, I sincerely cant see way out. I donít even think that I can survive this period, itís too much for me. To put you an example, I will show you one average day of me. First thing in the morning I get up, go to the cathedra of mechanical engineering to argue about use of computers in mechanical engineering Ė imagine the retards that still believe that anything is done better manually, then I present them my ideas about easier calculating of simple mechanical processes by compute, then I come back home, work more on program I work on, so I can impress them more tomorrow, I canít find any girlfriend because I canít go out (I have asthma, and in my country there is no non Ė smoker zone to go out). Then I have to think about existence problems. Then I go online to look for some stipend for abroad study, which always results with no luckÖ I just seem to have hard life overall. I just canít do anything right. No surprise that I tend to be little pushy with my ideas. Time goes by, but nothing seems to go right way. I have invented program for evaluating durability of machine elements (almost perfectly), but in my country no one gives damn bout it, I am surrounded by people that are trying to prevent me from succeeding. In my country it is dream to get out of it. I just become overcame by the situation. I canít believe that I am still alive. I fight so hard, but no results come. I just want to die. I donít want to live in this misery any more. I want to end my life and never again to be bothered. I want to rest in peace. Even though my talents go further than average, people here are trying to get you below the average, to make of you idiot. If this misery continues, I am very sure that I will end my life before I reach the top of my humiliation. I have no reason to believe that it will go any better, because whole atmosphere in this shitty country is negative. I just want to show how much I can, and work to prove it, but nothing is helping me. Chris, I am idiot, please forgive me for insulting you. I will try not to act like one in future. Hopefully this will be last post of mine. I hope that I wonít wake up tomorrow. I just hope that I will finally die. That would save me from trouble in future, but in truth, I know that I will wake up tomorrow, which will be very disappointing to me. All those things that I knew to do best, I find irrelevant, and I donít have chance to do any more. Very depressing fact. I am under psychotherapy, I hope that it will help me, but sincerely I donít see how, so please stick to the subject and donít let some stupidity put hate between us. Again, forgive meÖ
__________________
Gluvakov Nikola
ngluvakov(euro) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:16 AM   #35
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngluvakov(euro)
I never even had a slightest doubt about manuals vs. automatic, because manual is the way of true drivers…
Are you saying that I am not real because I drive a Camry with a auto? I am obviously a robot, or I am not driving; I am simply playing one giant video game that is called the game of "Life." Everytime I am running down a hall, I stop for a second (lag) and then fly forward a good distance simply because my connection to the world server isnt good. I do not exist.

I must admit, as soon as I can I am gonna learn how to drive a stick.
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:25 AM   #36
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Oh and one more thing, that I think ChrisV touched on. European cars are generally buzz boxes. Shoving an auto in these would probably shave about 50% of the available power to the wheels at cruising rpm.

Actually, at cruising speed the auto torque converters are generally locked up, transmitting as much power through them as any clutch setup. The problems come in not enough hydraulic pressure on the bands, and shifts that are tuned for smoothness, which gives excesive slippage between gears.

That can be fixed, at the expense of shift harshness. And most people who buy stock automatics don't want shift harshness, so the manufacturers leave it to the aftermarket to make the kits that make the trans work right. A decent shift kit will haev almost zero slippage (no more than a clutch setup when letting the pedal out), run cooler, handle more power, and shift faster AND when you tell it to. It's just not luxurous, so it won't sell in a stock vehicle.

And if you limit your experience to stock economy cars and soft luxury cars with softly tuned stock automatics, you'll have an inaccurate picture of their actual ability.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #37
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngluvakov(euro)
O.K. then, I donít like you to call me assclown, but on the other hand, I just might asked for it, with me calling you infantile. I apologize, that kind of attitude will never happen again from my side. I think that this conversation has reached level that I donít want to have part of. I provoked it myself. I admit that I am wrong for insulting others publicly, so to those who read this. I made mistake, I am wrong about calling Mr. Chris V. infantile, beside the fact that he isnít infantile, I canít go around calling people names. I agree that I am taking this too much by the book, but undeniable fact is that I like to do that. I might not be right, but also that shows my opinion which is, you must admit, subjective and respective even if not everyone agrees, is it? I take Chrisís posts with highest regard and I respect his experience. But, I disagree. If you can, I think that you should send me technical drawing of both gearboxes together with their materials specifications (for same engine), so I can analyze their mass, durability (using Smithís diagrams and Velerís curve), therefore we can get relevant results. Not to argue just to piss off each other. Chris V, I hold very high opinion about you, I donít want to loose your respect. It is important to me that I stand behind my words. Very moment that I have red your post, I got feeling to apologize and explain myself. It is very hard time for me. Donít get me 100% serious, because I need some time for myself. I have had period of stress, because exams have came, life is expensive here, this country is very unfriendly towards loners, I am in divorce progress, I am under medication treatment, asthma is killing me, mental disorders are dragging me into pit, I sincerely cant see way out. I donít even think that I can survive this period, itís too much for me. To put you an example, I will show you one average day of me. First thing in the morning I get up, go to the cathedra of mechanical engineering to argue about use of computers in mechanical engineering Ė imagine the retards that still believe that anything is done better manually, then I present them my ideas about easier calculating of simple mechanical processes by compute, then I come back home, work more on program I work on, so I can impress them more tomorrow, I canít find any girlfriend because I canít go out (I have asthma, and in my country there is no non Ė smoker zone to go out). Then I have to think about existence problems. Then I go online to look for some stipend for abroad study, which always results with no luckÖ I just seem to have hard life overall. I just canít do anything right. No surprise that I tend to be little pushy with my ideas. Time goes by, but nothing seems to go right way. I have invented program for evaluating durability of machine elements (almost perfectly), but in my country no one gives damn bout it, I am surrounded by people that are trying to prevent me from succeeding. In my country it is dream to get out of it. I just become overcame by the situation. I canít believe that I am still alive. I fight so hard, but no results come. I just want to die. I donít want to live in this misery any more. I want to end my life and never again to be bothered. I want to rest in peace. Even though my talents go further than average, people here are trying to get you below the average, to make of you idiot. If this misery continues, I am very sure that I will end my life before I reach the top of my humiliation. I have no reason to believe that it will go any better, because whole atmosphere in this shitty country is negative. I just want to show how much I can, and work to prove it, but nothing is helping me. Chris, I am idiot, please forgive me for insulting you. I will try not to act like one in future. Hopefully this will be last post of mine. I hope that I wonít wake up tomorrow. I just hope that I will finally die. That would save me from trouble in future, but in truth, I know that I will wake up tomorrow, which will be very disappointing to me. All those things that I knew to do best, I find irrelevant, and I donít have chance to do any more. Very depressing fact. I am under psychotherapy, I hope that it will help me, but sincerely I donít see how, so please stick to the subject and donít let some stupidity put hate between us. Again, forgive meÖ


The book learning won't work by itself. I constantly fix things that theorists and analytical software says should work but doesn't. Analysing material stresses won't tell you that a TH400 with a B&M shift kit shaves off 2 full seconds in the quarter mile on an otherwise stock big block Chevelle. AND lasts longer due to running cooler from less slippage.

Stop analyzing and BUILD the stuff. PLAY with cars like mine. Stop being an engineer, as it blinds you to the real world.

Let me give you an example. Rolls Royce got their automatic transmissions from GM for many years. But, being Rolls Royce engineers, they took the transmissions apart and polished the hydraulic channels, microground all the parts, presicion fit everything together, just like their engineering books said was perfect. They got transmission failure after transmission failure. Everything LOOKED perfect, and was built to Rolls Royce standards. Problem was, in the real world, the imperfections cast into the GM trans was what made it work right. The imperfections cave just the right amount of pressure and just the right amount of restriction to make everything work together. After RR stoped trying to overanalyze and perfect things, it all started to work again.

Do you think the hot rodders that created the entire aftermarket industry sat down with engnieering software, all your analytical tools and years of classroom education? No, they went out and BUILT things in their backyards, made them work (even if they shouldn't) and went fast.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:08 AM   #38
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Stop analyzing and BUILD the stuff. PLAY with cars like mine. Stop being an engineer, as it blinds you to the real world.

Do you think the hot rodders that created the entire aftermarket industry sat down with engnieering software, all your analytical tools and years of classroom education? No, they went out and BUILT things in their backyards, made them work (even if they shouldn't) and went fast.

he can't go outside, chris.... jeez! <--- b/c of this guy...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #39
WesO
CF Newbie
 
WesO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: JHB South Africa
Posts: 7
Hotrods and old school RULE !!
WesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #40
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mid europe
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
he can't go outside, chris.... jeez! <--- b/c of this guy...


You find that amusing to you? Well, to me it is not.
__________________
Gluvakov Nikola
ngluvakov(euro) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #41
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
he can't go outside, chris.... jeez! <--- b/c of this guy...

YEah that wasn't too necessary after all this guy has said, we aren't dealing with some ignorant noob.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #42
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mid europe
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
YEah that wasn't too necessary after all this guy has said, we aren't dealing with some ignorant noob.
__________________
Gluvakov Nikola
ngluvakov(euro) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #43
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Nickola, listen, don't let too much stress get you down. Unles someone's actually pointing a real gun at your head, you'll get through it ok.

I was burned in a car fire in '92, had to sell my shop, was in a whelchair for 6 months and couldn't walk. The pain was excruciating for a while. And now it's in the past. Yesterday I had 4 teeth puled so I could get ready to put on braces (which I can finally afford to do). I'm on heavy meds right now, and this pain too shall pass.

I didn't get married until I was 37. Didn't even have a girlfriend for nearly a decade. So what. (was too much trouble trying to date when recovering from that sort of a blow to life...). Don't add it to your stress.

Do what YOU enjoy, and let the learning take it's course. When it's all said and done, it'll just be a set of memories fading away.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #44
ngluvakov(euro)
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mid europe
Posts: 110
Thanks Chris, you truly have great courage and heart big like USA.
__________________
Gluvakov Nikola
ngluvakov(euro) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #45
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
YEah that wasn't too necessary after all this guy has said, we aren't dealing with some ignorant noob.

whatever. so i'm a dick. i just don't have any sympathy for someone that was all about how great his life was, etc. about 60 something posts ago (see "pix of your chix") AND coming off all hard in the beginning of this thread until chrisv handed him his ass and now it's "poor me" i'm not trying to devalue your problems, but where i come from, you don't

a) use them as an excuse to be offensive, or
b) air out all your personal problems to people that you (really think about this, now) barely know. i found it amusing that there's a little smoking guy emoticon here to blame your asthma on, and i'm not going to blame my pointing it out to pms, ok? i've got problems, too, but unless they pertain directly to a car or someone here--you're not going to hear about it. ngluvakov(euro), i hope your shit works out, and i'm going to put you on "ignore" so i don't read your posts and feel compelled to offend you and pythias anymore, ok?

later,
dodger
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.