Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quest for understanding - (Left lane driving)

As the title says, this is a quest for understanding. So, please try to refrain from any flaming (steven) and try to understand how other people are thinking.

I am interested in understanding why people drive in the left lane.

Of course we all drive in the left lane when we pass somebody. What I am trying to understand is why do people:
  • stay in the left lane once they are done passing
  • move directly into the left lane as soon as getting on the road
  • stay in the left lane if somebody comes up behind them, forcing the person to pass on the right
  • etc....

So please, if you are a left lane driver, tell us why you are.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
As the title says, this is a quest for understanding. So, please try to refrain from any flaming (steven) and try to understand how other people are thinking.

I am interested in understanding why people drive in the left lane.

Of course we all drive in the left lane when we pass somebody. What I am trying to understand is why do people:
  • stay in the left lane once they are done passing
  • move directly into the left lane as soon as getting on the road
  • stay in the left lane if somebody comes up behind them, forcing the person to pass on the right
  • etc....

So please, if you are a left lane driver, tell us why you are.

.
I think you have just opened a big old can of worms. In my 33 years of being a licensed driver, I've determined that you have two kinds of left lane bandits. The ones who do it because they believe it's their right to drive wherever they chose and those that are clueless and in denial of even doing it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
As the title says, this is a quest for understanding. So, please try to refrain from any flaming (steven) and try to understand how other people are thinking.

I am interested in understanding why people drive in the left lane.

Of course we all drive in the left lane when we pass somebody. What I am trying to understand is why do people:
  • stay in the left lane once they are done passing
  • move directly into the left lane as soon as getting on the road
  • stay in the left lane if somebody comes up behind them, forcing the person to pass on the right
  • etc....

So please, if you are a left lane driver, tell us why you are.

.
There are those signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Nobody wants to be "Slower Traffic".
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
I think people are just oblivious to the fact that the left lane is generally intended for passing.

For instance, here just about everyone drives like they are in a Nascar race, regardless of the speed limit. Therefore they are continuously passing everyone until someone in the right lane is also going the 103 MPH they are, thus making their driving in the left lane justifiable. Don't want to have to slow down you know? The speed limit is only a suggestion right?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
There are those signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Nobody wants to be "Slower Traffic".
Is that why you drive in the left lane or is that your thought regarding why other people drive in the left lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I think you have just opened a big old can of worms. In my 33 years of being a licensed driver, I've determined that you have two kinds of left lane bandits. The ones who do it because they believe it's their right to drive wherever they chose and those that are clueless and in denial of even doing it.
Yes, it is a big ole can of worms. I understand those 2 reasons but I wonder if there are any others. I have some thoughts about what the other reasons may be but I would like to see if I am correct.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
well it seems like evryone is always in a hurry so they choose the left lane cause it's supposedly the fastest. The people in the right lane are the slowest beacuse they have traffic coming in and coming out from their lane. Personally when i drive i do go straight to the left lane because i get irritated when i have to drive behind someone who is going slower than the speed limit ( sometimes the right lane) However i dont stay in the left lane for the whole trip or anything. I always try to go faster so i just keep switching lanes. This might be worse than just staying in one lane and not moving out of the way but i like to do it. ( meaning one fo those drivers that keeps switching lanes to get around all the cars) What i hate the most is when like all the lanes are traveling at the same speed with some of the people having no cars in front of them. There have to be like openings so cars can pass or somethin, i dunno maybe it's just me but i just hate following cars when i know they could easily go faster. If they dont wanna go faster and they wanna go as fast as the cars in the other lanes get the **** off the left lane and let the people drive drive by. Anyway back on topic i guess people stay in the left lane because they dont wanna switch lanes and then get slowed down by a slower car...i guess it's just lazyness... i mean 90% of all drivers that i see are on their cellphones talking and driving like ****ers. I will admit i do take some calls while i am drivng but if i know it's important conv and i will be talking for a while i will either tell the person to call back later or pull over.
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Maybe because the people in the right lanes aren't going as fast as they want to be going.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Although It's the other way 'round for us, I know what you're saying. It's never nice when people hog lanes Grrrr. Having said that, though, it does annoy me when impatient drivers talegate you into harrying up your overtaking!.....and here in the UK atleast, the left hand lane on the Motorway has always been used for normal driving whilst the two outter lanes are supposed to be used for overtaking. The max speed is still 70mph to normal cars and vans, though. So generally speaking, if I was overtaking at the speed limit and somebody jumps on gets a little impatient....I take all the more time lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Is that why you drive in the left lane or is that your thought regarding why other people drive in the left lane?
The latter, I drive in the lef tlane because I'm going to have to eventually turn left. If I'm in someone's way, I move over for them.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Although It's the other way 'round for us, I know what you're saying. It's never nice when people hog lanes Grrrr. Having said that, though, it does annoy me when impatient drivers talegate you into harrying up your overtaking!.....and here in the UK atleast, the left hand lane on the Motorway has always been used for normal driving whilst the two outter lanes are supposed to be used for overtaking. The max speed is still 70mph to normal cars and vans, though. So generally speaking, if I was overtaking at the speed limit and somebody jumps on gets a little impatient....I take all the more time lol
And now you've just confused everyone who reads that post and has never lived in the UK. The left hand lane IS the outermost lane, which is the lane for normal driving and usually lorries. In the UK, the further right you go (on multi-lane roads), the further you are toward the center lane, which is the passing lane.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
And now you've just confused everyone who reads that post and has never lived in the UK. The left hand lane IS the outermost lane, which is the lane for normal driving and usually lorries. In the UK, the further right you go (on multi-lane roads), the further you are toward the center lane, which is the passing lane.

Crazy Brits jk

Can't really add to this, as I don't drive yet
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Probably because its the "fast lane," and since some people actually follow the rules its less populated then the other lanes.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 AM   #13
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Maybe because the people in the right lanes aren't going as fast as they want to be going.
And if you read my first post in this thread, you will see that has already been covered.

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
.... The max speed is still 70mph to normal cars and vans, though. So generally speaking, if I was overtaking at the speed limit and somebody jumps on gets a little impatient....I take all the more time lol
Finally somebody with an honest answer about THEIR driving habits. I know people who do this also. So what is it that makes you take your time? Is it that they pissed you off by getting on your bumper so you want to return the favor or is there something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Probably because its the "fast lane," and since some people actually follow the rules its less populated then the other lanes.
When you say "follow the rules", do you mean "by driving in the right lane and reserving the left lane for passing" or do you mean something else? Is your reply what you think and do or is it what you think other people do?

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001


When you say "follow the rules", do you mean "by driving in the right lane and reserving the left lane for passing" or do you mean something else? Is your reply what you think and do or is it what you think other people do?

.

Yes, as that is the rule. Yes thats what I think, and everyone I know drives in that lane most of the time on the highway.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.