Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Maria
CF Newbie

Question 93 Nissan Altima SE A Whole Lot of Shakin Going On!

I am the org owner of a 93 Nissan Altima SE & 4 wks ago the car (engine?)started to shake when started/underway at all times. Three days ago, driving on surface streets for about 5 min, 70 deg, the engine temp gauge went hot quickly, I turned the heater on, as I've been told this will help the car to not overheat. Veh was parked and didn't overheat. Next morning drove again, 65 deg- after 8 -10 min, the temp was hot (went past /H) - put water in the radiator that was empty. Had a friend check the oil consistency and it was ok - not showing signs of a blown head gasket with mixed water & oil. Any suggestions on what the problem(s) might be?

Last edited by Maria : 01-24-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: original post needed more details
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria
I am the org owner of a 93 Nissan Altima SE & 4 wks ago the car (engine?)started to shake when started/underway at all times. Three days ago, driving on surface streets for about 5 min, 70 deg, the engine temp gauge went hot quickly, I turned the heater on, as I've been told this will help the car to not overheat. Veh was parked and didn't overheat. Next morning drove again, 65 deg- after 8 -10 min, the temp was hot (went past /H) - put water in the radiator that was empty. Had a friend check the oil consistency and it was ok - not showing signs of a blown head gasket with mixed water & oil. Any suggestions on what the problem(s) might be?
In very basic terms you have two choices. The coolant from your engine has to be going somewhere. First, it could be escaping your engine externally from a leak such as the water pump, coolant hose, heater core or due to overheating out the radiator cap and recovery tank. Secondly, you could have an internal leak like a head gasket or a cracked block or head. An internal leak may go into the crankcase, but it also may not. Just because you don't have coolant in the oil does not mean your head gasket is okay.

What am I gatting at? You need to determine where the coolant is getting out of the sealed cooling system. When you figure that out, you'll have at least 99% of your answer.

Had anyone been under the hood of the car recently before the first occurrence? The seemingly simple act of checking coolant level incorrectly can cause the coolant level to become low by removing pressure/vacuum from the system at the wrong time.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Maria
CF Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I'll check to see where the coolant is going first. Since the engine is running rough and shaking, it sounds like a major problem.

No one has been under the hood before the car was acting up and it was taken to "Jiffy Lube" recently for a quick oil/fluids change for a 3000 mile oil change.

Again, I thank you for your expert advise & will let you know what happens.

Maria
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote