Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
95civicdima
CF Addict

What college are you going to or have Attended?

As a 110% student i was curious where people went for college or where people are going to college. Also include where you want to go. Talk a little about how the enviroment is like and what you did and how you study/studied. Just a little about college life. I'll start out

Alright since i want to be a computer hardware ENGINEER i looked for the best engineering program in the country. Well on top of that list was listed a school in my city. Drexel University. I am fully molding my grades and standards to meet the acceptance of a co-op student for the university. Co-op is become the most famous program and drexel. It is a program where you work and study for 5 years. So by the end of the college you have. 1.5 years of experience to enter the working force. The college helps you look for a job in that field under the co-op program. You work 6 month periods in the field of your study. I think it is great and can't wait to get there. I hear that it is a great school for engineering and look forward to going there. My gpa isn't at the exact requirements but pretty damn close. The problem is i take very high level classes in my school so they affect my gpa a bit. After this semester in 11th grade i'll have my gpa high enough so i'm not worried at all. My psat scores were pretty dang good so i'm not worried about sat's at all. I'm working on some hardware certs so it looks good on a resume and to end it off i'm almost gauranteed to get in because of my grades. My brother knows a lot of alumni that went there so i'll get a few refrences from them
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Congrats, I'm planning on going to UTI/Wyotech, and then some other college (possible)...but haven't decided yet...Still waiting for an info package from UTI (already asked for one 3 times) lol
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well I still have about a year to go, but I haven't made up my mind what I'm doing yet. I either want to go to college or become an automotive apprentice. I have Co-op starting soon and am hopefully doing it at the Kawartha Chrysler Jeep Dodge place, I also plan on doing an OYAP program (some apprentice program) for school next year (whole semester of working wherever I choose/get accepted). Not sure yet though if it's better to learn at a small local garage or a bigger dealership garage.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD

I''m currently finishing up my second year at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. I am a FLIT major. FLIT stands for Foriegn Langauge and International Trade. As you've probably already guessed my foreign language is Spanish. The reason I went into this is because when I graduated High School, I wanted a job out in the corporate world that would allow me to travel and see the world (Did I mention I love traveling?). The reason I'm a FLIT major and not an International Business major is because A.) the FLIT program allows me to graduate with a double major (It would have took me an extra year and a half had I tried to do this outside of the program). B.) Part of the requirement for graduating as a FLIT major is completing an internship in a foreign country that speaks the language of your study. (I really want to go to Spain **crosses fingers**) C.) I can do all this in 4 years.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I'm going to QUT ( Queensland University of Technology) to do Electrical or mechanical engineering this year.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Well I'm a senior in high school, my GPA isn't great for a number of reasons but its ok. I took the ACT 2 times final score being a 23 which is pretty good. I plan on going to College of Southern Maryland, haven't decided on a major yet because after my first semester through college I will call up my OSO (officer selection officer) for the Marines take their test and get into the Officer program where I basically kinda train to become an officer thruogh my years of college. And I can decide at the end of the 4 years of college if I want to become an officer and be commissioned or decide its not for me.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:14 AM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Community College baby! I was usually anywhere from a D to B student in highschool, and my parents even put me in a "guided study" when my grades were slipping. I just finished my first semester at a Community College, and I somehow got 3 A's and a B. The craziest part is that I'm not trying nearly as hard as I did in highschool. I failed Algebra II in highschool, last semester I got an easy A. I'm a Mechanical Engineering major, and plan to attentd UMASS after my second year of Community College. They have a program worked out so that after 2 years of Community College you can enter UMASS as a Junior, and you get a chunk off of your tuition. Plus UMASS has a god Engineering Dept.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #8
mx3_monster
im completely sane

im either planning on going to uti or maybe the military

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:43 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
I'm going to QUT ( Queensland University of Technology) to do Electrical or mechanical engineering this year.
aaaahh, good ol' super tafe!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
adamc44
CF Freak

attended shawnee state university aka floodwall tech...for two years, decent community college but college just isnt my thing...

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #11
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Community College baby! I was usually anywhere from a D to B student in highschool, and my parents even put me in a "guided study" when my grades were slipping. I just finished my first semester at a Community College, and I somehow got 3 A's and a B. The craziest part is that I'm not trying nearly as hard as I did in highschool. I failed Algebra II in highschool, last semester I got an easy A. I'm a Mechanical Engineering major, and plan to attentd UMASS after my second year of Community College. They have a program worked out so that after 2 years of Community College you can enter UMASS as a Junior, and you get a chunk off of your tuition. Plus UMASS has a god Engineering Dept.

sweet deal bro but the thing is i would HATE to go to community college. It except everyone basically and it is just to easy to get into there is no challenge. What's the point to study so hard and work so hard just to go somewhere that'll except anyone? I'm going for it all college. That's cool that you can transfer and i can imagen that taken a lot off of your pay. GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
aaaahh, good ol' super tafe!!!

What do you mean super tafe.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
What do you mean super tafe.
What do you mean tafe?...Could you give us a North American English translation of the word?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #14
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

I'm going to Cal State Fullerton University starting my second semester on the 30th. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, the reason for my major is because there is alot of opportunity for engineers. It also pays high salaries or hourly wages. I like college alot better than high school because there is much more time to do things.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
sweet deal bro but the thing is i would HATE to go to community college. It except everyone basically and it is just to easy to get into there is no challenge. What's the point to study so hard and work so hard just to go somewhere that'll except anyone? I'm going for it all college. That's cool that you can transfer and i can imagen that taken a lot off of your pay. GOOD LUCK!

As ridiculous as this post is, I'd have to agree with it on a global basis. I schooled with many individuals that did the whole community college and then transfer thing. I must say that my Freshman/Sophomore years were the most social years of my college career. If you then transfer to a new school (University or something), you don't actually know anybody on campus, you must start over with your social life... at a time (Junior year) when your studies are demanding an amazing amount of your time. I can see how the community college direction could be beneficial, but on a social level (most of what will happen to you in life will have more to do with WHO you know, not what you know) it's not a good idea. But that's just my experience.