Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
carbie
CF Newbie

car key

I recently broke my car's key, and I could not find the spare key. I called Ford's dealer, they said it's too old model so they don't have that key anymore. I'm clueless, so I went to the Lock smith. Now, my problem is how am I going to get the locker of the car to Locksmith so that they can create another key for me using the pattern. Any suggestions about this? Or any idea besides locksmith would be appreciated too.

Thanks
carbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'm pretty sure that the locksmith can make a model just from the lock, and open it like that too. I had a friend who had her car lock freeze, and she called a locksmith, thinking there was something in the lock, but in the end, the locksmith calimed he could have opened the door (not sure if he was bluffing lol)
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well I think you can find a locksmith who travels around in cases like these. Which lock is it, the door lock or ignition lock? Could always try the old coathanger lock pop or something like that (if the door), or remove the ignition lock (and replace if preferred) if it's the igniton.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
boothe
CF Addict

This happened to me once, my key broke off in the ignition on a really cold day. We were on a road trip in like East Bejesus Ohio and this random lock smith came and did it all really quickly and we were back on the road within an hour - I think you can definitely go that route with no problems.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
carbie
CF Newbie

Thanks guys, the key is not broken in any places/locker of the car (i don't know how to say this) but the key broke off, I can see two pieces NOT in the car locker or whatsoever. I'm not aware about the locksmith traveling schedule, the thing is I gotta get a locker from my car to their place. My car key is for every lockers, including starting the engine too. Which locker should I go for that is easy to take the locker down? I'm clueless about mechanic thing.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I'm trying to understand what you are saying. It appears you are saying your key broke but it is not broken in any of the locks. You have the grooved portion and the top portion.

You've already been to the locksmith and they suggested you bring in one of the locks so they can make a mold of it and remake your key and you want to know which lock would be easiest to remove from your car to take down there. You are not a mechanical person, so the easier the better. Am I right?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Couldn't you just take the two key parts?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
carbie
CF Newbie

Yes 97... user, you are good

I have the key, the key doesn't stick in the car locker. Any idea about removing the locker so I can take it to let locksmith make a new key for it?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbie
Yes 97... user, you are good

I have the key, the key doesn't stick in the car locker. Any idea about removing the locker so I can take it to let locksmith make a new key for it?
You want to remove the entire lock mechanism?...That's going to be both complicated, and expensive, find a locksmith who can go to your car, or tow it to him... Or, do what was already mentioned, and give him the two key pieces, see if he can do anything with that...
Old 01-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

What kind of car is it we are talking about? Make, model and year?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #11
carbie
CF Newbie

It's a Ford Probe 94, I'm thinking of removing the locker from the car's door. But lack of mechanic knowledge like me, hm... dunno what to do