Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

first ticket

well i was on my way home from school and i was in a hurry to get home cause i needed to give my mom ride to airport.. i was goin on road where the limit was 35 i was goin about 65... yes i know it was dumb and all but i was in a real hurry with no cars in front of me.. Anyway then i hear my radar detector go nuts so i go on the brakes hard... within an instant i see the cop coming my the opposite direction. I slowed down to speed limit right away, but i saw the cop going on the brakes and making a u turn. I knew i was ****ed then... Anyway he got me goin 57, and he was using laser gun or whatever u call em.
I have 3 options now..
1. Pay $95 fine and get this put on my driving record.
2. Appeal and plead not guilty in court.
3 Apply for driving school,(almost everyone gets in, unless u have gotten ticket in the past year) pay $95 for ticket +$30 for 4 hour class but it doesn't go on record.
I will definatelly choose option 3...
This sucks... btw i did barely make it on time to the airport after picking up my mom.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I would have went for the third option too, but you should have asked to see the reading on the radar gun, and if he didn't have it, you'd have something to build off of...That's just the one thing that stuck in my head from some article I saw on how to get out of tickets.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I would have went for the third option too, but you should have asked to see the reading on the radar gun, and if he didn't have it, you'd have something to build off of...That's just the one thing that stuck in my head from some article I saw on how to get out of tickets.

i did... it was 57 lol...
Old 01-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

well, i've gotten a speeding ticket yearly, and got off light on the last one...

ask for the radar calibration papers or radar operators license. Most HTA(highway traffic acts) need to have the radar calibrated yearly(monthly in some states), and some areas need to have the ROL for the user....if neither are provided, then the ticket could be written off....
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
i did... it was 57 lol...
Then you run over his foot, and drive her like you stole her
Old 01-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Then you run over his foot, and drive her like you stole her
Yeah i was thinking that when i saw him go on the brakes hard... i was like **** i know these tiny side streets well and i can hide in a driveway... but i was like **** no the risk isn't worth the reward. so i just pulled over even before he came up behind me cause i knew that it was for me... I started to pull over when he wasn't even done with his u turn yet.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #7
vlc92189
CF Newbie

if its ur first ticket.. apeal it.. i know in md they USUALLY let the first ticket go..
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc92189
if its ur first ticket.. apeal it.. i know in md they USUALLY let the first ticket go..
i dont think that would be smart since i was speeding by 22mph and i am 16 years old...
Old 01-28-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

I think you can just pay the ticket, then appeal the points. It won't go on your record and your insurance won't increase. However, you might need a lawyer, I'm not sure of the actual process (yet).
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #10
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
I think you can just pay the ticket, then appeal the points. It won't go on your record and your insurance won't increase. However, you might need a lawyer, I'm not sure of the actual process (yet).
why go through all that when i can just pay $125 and go to school for 4 hours and it will stay off my record and insurance wont go up.
The thing that sucks is that i am broke as **** right now and have been searching for a job for like 2 weeks. Now if i would have the money my parents wouldn't care too much since i pay for car and insurance but i might need to borrow money from them so might get punished i dunno.

btw if any of u wanna tell some stories of ur traffic tickets go ahead... if u have multuple just tell either the most exciting one or the one where u were speeding the most.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

110km/h in a 50 km/h zone - didnt see the cop until i saw the blue and reds in the rearview, 3 blocks behind me....pulled onto a side street in case it wasn't for me...no such luck....

asked for the radar papers(calibration and operating license), cop laughed saying he didnt know what it was, walked away. Took about 30 minutes for him to write out the ticket, spent a lot of time talking on his radio.

Handed me a ticket for 71 in a 50 - 121$. Guess it might have had something to do with asking for those papers... and rather then press my luck, I paid it.

I have fought and won successfully before, on other tickets.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #12
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
110km/h in a 50 km/h zone - didnt see the cop until i saw the blue and reds in the rearview, 3 blocks behind me....pulled onto a side street in case it wasn't for me...no such luck....

asked for the radar papers(calibration and operating license), cop laughed saying he didnt know what it was, walked away. Took about 30 minutes for him to write out the ticket, spent a lot of time talking on his radio.

Handed me a ticket for 71 in a 50 - 121$. Guess it might have had something to do with asking for those papers... and rather then press my luck, I paid it.

I have fought and won successfully before, on other tickets.

Didn't you say they needed their papers in order to give the ticket for speeding?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

Two days before Christmas last year. My godfather let me borrow his car while he was vacationing in Ecuador. I was doing some late minute Christmas shopping and I got caught in a speed trap that I was familiar about (i just wasn't thinking that day). Anyways, 54 in a 35 (just missed the 20 mph over mark), I didn't ask for papers cause he clearly tagged me. Paid the $125, went to school for 4 hours (the most boring 4 hours of my life), ticket was removed from my record, end of story. Sure, I had to borrow some money from my best friend, but I've actually gotten out of tickets because of my "clean record", not to mention my insurance rates haven't gone up. Pay it, and get it over with.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
Didn't you say they needed their papers in order to give the ticket for speeding?

nope, read that again, it can be written off...never said they can't issue it. I figure they gave me a reduced fine because I asked for them....I was double the speed limit and then some, so I didn't press my luck.

Plus up here, speeding tickets do dick for my license and insurance costs, unless it involves a suspension of my license, which that one would have, had I been dinged for the full speed....
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
vlc92189
CF Newbie

no you should be fine vtec. my friends got caught speedin and they just appealed it because of the fact that its their first ticket. my friend actually went to the court the other day and they let it go.
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote