Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
snowbordvolcom
CF Newbie

Exclamation research paper.

I am doing a persuasive paper for my english class about why to buy a foreign made car such as toyota, honda, nissan over US made cars such as ford, chevy, or dodge. what i posted this for is to see if anyone can give me some main points besides reliability, resale value, and crash test ratings. anything helps. thanks.

-G$.
snowbordvolcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I could help you, but...DO THE RESEARCH!!!

I'll suggest fuel efficiency

BTW Reliability is pretty good in most American cars, and there's some Asian imports that are pretty unreliable...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Hmm aren't about 20% of auto plants in North America foreign owned? About 30% of workers are employed by that 20%?

Why is the car industry perculiar about foreign imports, when white goods, electronics and toys from China flood the worldwide markets?

Specfic to the query, I would consider if the Asian makers provide innovative solutions. Early adopters are very vocal and are drawn to innovation. If the US brands are constantly playing catchup, they don't have exposure to the early adopters and lose sales from the subsequent early majority. They are forced to compete with the late majority, which means skinnier margins and mass marketing costs.

Unfortunately the Detroit boys carry the bogey of decades neglecting consumerism, preferring to tell the public what they want rather than stylising their product to suit the public wants. Campaigns by people like Ralph Nader proved to the public that recidivist auto makers were holding out on them.

Buying foreign puts pressure on domestics to raise the quality and standard. Competition is the American way, so be patriotic and buy Japanese .

Last edited by Wally : 01-30-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
...so be patriotic and buy Japanese .
Is he referring to just Japanese imports, or European imports too? Because when I think of Luxury or Exotic Sport, Europe (Mainly Italy/Germany) comes to mind...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

I was having a bet each way.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
snowbordvolcom
CF Newbie

whenever i think of european cars i agreei think of luxury and high prices..but when i think of japanese or other asian cars i think of cheap speed, and reliabitlity..except when it comes to the luxury lines of the main companies..like lexus is to toyota and acura is to honda..but the problem i have found in owning an american made car.. is maintenance and reliabilitly..too many things go wrong with it..and too many defects.. but when you go to toyota or honda..you always seem to find a lot of reliablity.. both of my grandparents own toyota made cars..my grandma with an Rx330 and my grandpa with a toyota tundra..and they are considering buying another lexus or honda soon. but he keeps going back to them because he has NEVER had a problem with them. but my family keeps buying ford because of looks and because they think they are supporting US workers..but fords are manufactured in mexico and some in canada...so when we say we are supporting US workers we mean we are supporting the CEO's/high ranks of Ford. and the canadian/mexican workers..so its kind of ironic that we keep buying them. but i have always wanted a toyota celica..and am planning on getting either that or a 350z for my 18th..and if not then for my 21st.
snowbordvolcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbordvolcom
I am doing a persuasive paper for my english class about why to buy a foreign made car such as toyota, honda,
Quote:
nissan over US made cars
such as ford, chevy, or dodge. what i posted this for is to see if anyone can give me some main points besides reliability, resale value, and crash test ratings. anything helps. thanks.

-G$.
You're definetly gonna want to do some more research. As someone stated earlier, a lot of "foreign" cars are actually made in America. I know some Nissans are, and some Honda's may be as well. On the other side, the Chevy Aveo is made by Daewoo, so even though it's a Chevy it's not made in America.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
You're definetly gonna want to do some more research. As someone stated earlier, a lot of "foreign" cars are actually made in America. I know some Nissans are, and some Honda's may be as well. On the other side, the Chevy Aveo is made by Daewoo, so even though it's a Chevy it's not made in America.
I don't know how many Nissans are made in America, but I know they make some in Mexico too.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
ride3k
CF Addict

now, when you think foregin or domestic, are you thinking production plant, or the design studios? b/c nissan is mainly designed and japan, and built on the north american continent(wow cant spell) and cars like lexus and such are designed here, but by the japanese companies(i.e. toyota-lexus nissan-infinitii)

jus trying to clear it up

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Actually, bringing up the point about many foreign manufacturing sights being located in the US is a valid counterpoint to those who would say that you should buy American to keep the money and jobs in America. While profits may go overseas, the jobs and wages will still stay in the US. There may also be additional investment made here with plant expansions and new locations.

That is something you should definately include in a persuasive paper.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote