Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
bebopin64
CF Enthusiast

ebay springs

I have an '03 Mitsubishi Galant and want to do a few little upgrades. I would like first to lower it with some ebay coilover springs. Will i need to adjust camber or alignment with my galant? I of course am going to get a cold air intake and exhast seeing as this is a four banger. What should i do with it to get a noticable hp gain, like maybe 20-30 that wont kill my wallet?
bebopin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopin64
I have an '03 Mitsubishi Galant and want to do a few little upgrades. I would like first to lower it with some ebay coilover springs. Will i need to adjust camber or alignment with my galant? I of course am going to get a cold air intake and exhast seeing as this is a four banger. What should i do with it to get a noticable hp gain, like maybe 20-30 that wont kill my wallet?
I smell rice. Intake and Exhaust will give you around 15. If you want performance, go for racing headers, port and polish, intake, and I would work on the underdrive pulley and motor mounts give you a more crisp feel (the hard ones). I dont understand why the traditional mods on a "4-banger" are intake and exhaust. Exhaust you dont need to change for a while.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
bebopin64
CF Enthusiast

you always have to get a big bore exhast with a 4 banger so you can pretend like you have displacement because your engine sounds louder.
bebopin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
you always have to get a big bore exhast with a 4 banger so you can pretend like you have displacement because your engine sounds louder.

Your right, just like neon guy wanted to do right alex? Did you ever do that? I can't remember only remember you wanting to do it.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I smell rice. Intake and Exhaust will give you around 15. If you want performance, go for racing headers, port and polish, intake, and I would work on the underdrive pulley and motor mounts give you a more crisp feel (the hard ones). I dont understand why the traditional mods on a "4-banger" are intake and exhaust. Exhaust you dont need to change for a while.

Yep, a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust are just RICE. Absolutely NO power, ALL looks. If you want power, why don't you just get some LED's into the vents? Now THEN you fly.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:

Coilover springs do work from what I was told. I remember asking a question about these and ChrisV mentioned some racers (don't remember exactly, sorry) using them. After you do the lowering, you will need to do the alignment but that's nothing new as lowering usually brings about alignment.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Yep, a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust are just RICE. Absolutely NO power, ALL looks. If you want power, why don't you just get some LED's into the vents? Now THEN you fly.

Quote:
Coilover springs do work from what I was told. I remember asking a question about these and ChrisV mentioned some racers (don't remember exactly, sorry) using them. After you do the lowering, you will need to do the alignment but that's nothing new as lowering usually brings about alignment.

I remember that thread you asked if you had to get your alignment done every...2-3 months because alex told you that. He was wrong, but i can see how someone could misunderstand that.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Not necessarily. If you want a 3 inch exhaust, its useless. They are used for turbo cars, because with the stock motor you need pressure when the exhaust is working. (at least i heard sometihng like that). A 3 inch in a non turbo car will either do very little, nothing, or actually reduce performance.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Your right, just like neon guy wanted to do right alex? Did you ever do that? I can't remember only remember you wanting to do it.
Wow you know my name. I think I was looking for a 2.5 from my stock 2.25 and that would have helped. I went to modernperformance.com and the 3 inch exhaust they said is turbo only, but the non turbo ones are all 2.5

Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
They do give power, but not the kind of power he wants. An intake is the first mod to do. I would stick with the stock exhaust unless its in bad shape. Port and polish costs anywehre from 200-500 for the head and intake mantifold, and gives a big gain. The key for making first power gains is opening up the restrictions.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima

I remember that thread you asked if you had to get your alignment done every...2-3 months because alex told you that. He was wrong, but i can see how someone could misunderstand that.
They WILL throw off your alignment. Depending how you drive and where you drive, you might actually have to adjust it every once in a while.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
They do give power, but not the kind of power he wants.

Really? Now wait re-read what you just said. For 20-30 hp an Intake and Exhaust won't do it? Are you sure about that? I think not. On a basically stock motor they don't add much but it will only be about one mroe modification away from the 30hp. how much do intakes add? 5-15 on mostly stock motors. And up to 30hp for better intakes and or modded cars. Exhaust? around 5-15 as well. So lets say they add 10hp each. Well hey there thats all he wanted isn't it? You are just arguing to argue aren't you? I Can back up my statements can you? And suppose these mods only added 5 hp each well hes halfway there. Catback exhausts add much more around 15-30hp on a mostly stock motor. Again you are either simply proving your ignorance here, or arguing for the sake of arguing.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Really? Now wait re-read what you just said. For 20-30 hp an Intake and Exhaust won't do it? Are you sure about that? I think not. On a basically stock motor they don't add much but it will only be about one mroe modification away from the 30hp. how much do intakes add? 5-15 on mostly stock motors. And up to 30hp for better intakes and or modded cars. Exhaust? around 5-15 as well. So lets say they add 10hp each. Well hey there thats all he wanted isn't it? You are just arguing to argue aren't you? I Can back up my statements can you? And suppose these mods only added 5 hp each well hes halfway there. Catback exhausts add much more around 15-30hp on a mostly stock motor. Again you are either simply proving your ignorance here, or arguing for the sake of arguing.
So technically on my car if I get an Iceman Intake and a Performance 3 inch exhaust, youre saying I will be at 170 horsepower? Not likely.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
So technically on my car if I get an Iceman Intake and a Performance 3 inch exhaust, youre saying I will be at 170 horsepower? Not likely.

Re-read my post you nitwit, then when you have read it ALL then maybe you will see what I am saying.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 AM   #15
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Quote:
Re-read my post you nitwit, then when you have read it ALL then maybe you will see what I am saying.
not only is what you said stupid, it shows you didn't bother to read through Pythias' post.