Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2002, 03:43 PM   #1

Faster top speed???

Hello, I have a 97 Civic DX with a header and cold air intake. My car is quick off the line, but when I hit about 3rd gear, it drags like crazy and on the highway, I hardly have any acceleration. Can anyone tell me some of the best ways to increase my speed at high speeds I'm getting tired of smoken people off the line, then they just fly by me. PLEASE help!!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 03:44 PM   #2

i know how you feel. i have very good low end torque and i'm rear wheel drive. so i destroy them off the line, and then finally when i hit third gear, they pass me. i think its cuase my gearing is alittle tall on 3rd gear. but not that tall. well i don't have the problem anymore. becuase i've done whatever i can in my budget to improve my mid to top end. but i'm surprised that your civic can take cars off the line. i mean your engine isn't exactly a torque monster and i know for a fact that civics got some pretty tall gears. are you racing automatics? just curious. but what you can do to improve your 3rd gear is to buy a cat back exhaust. since your engine size is only 1.6 liters i would suggest having piping around 1.7 inches across. this way you don't lose any torque. and get a cam gear and retardt he timeing. then you'll shift yoru whole power band closer towards the bottom and your power comes on almost instantly.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
skullz

do a complete engine swap, here are some crazy combos u could do.

1. get a complete swap here are a list of engines and parts that are best suited for it.

*B16A2* which is an SI motor, it is best to slap on a vortech supercharger. U will see 100 or more HP gains with it.

*b18C1* GSR motor, best to run with a custom turbo set up.

*B18B* Cvic type R motor.........nuff said.

*B18C5* integra R motor is the most popular, with upgraded valvetrain like Toda spec C, Jun stage 3..... will be a NA monstar at 10.000 rpms..... just make sure u get the supporting mods with the valve train though.

*H22A* Prelude.......whoa... whatever mods u get with this thing, and it's in a civic............. your pretty much fast as ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope that helped u out man...

Chris
Old 12-07-2002, 02:43 AM   #4
AdamA4LD

Yeah, just slap on a turbo and some new injectors and you'll smoke everybody!
Old 12-07-2002, 07:24 AM   #5
labido

Of course the best ways to increase speed will always be a bigger and better engine swap, or to just slap on a turbo kit...But these ways arnt always practical. And if Hondaflyer is anything like me in the department for funds, he wouldnt have the cash to fork out to pay for something like this. A civic Dx, isnt that the SOHC engine..if im right you wont really ever get that car extreemly fast with out some major modding. Like the above people said. Some other things could be lightening the drivetrain, getting lower gears (lower gas mileage, but make your car more snappier) umm, sparkplug wires, mine didnt really seem to add that much power, that i noticed, but made the engine rev quicker. These mods could make your car faster, with out dropping an extra 4 grand or so into the engine.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:18 AM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

yeh, dx is the weakest engine. haha an h22 is nice cuz its got the power to pull the big heavy preludes, so just think how it would to in a civic... also, what you might be able to do is drop in a spoon or mugen engine (if you could find one where if you did, it would be really pricey)
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote