Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
95civicdima
CF Addict

Cool If anyone wants to laugh at me and give me advice.

Alright so this is how it is. My friend Elijah dunno anything about cars. His extent is that V4's get better gas mileage than v6's. Obviously his a car genius right? Not to dis him because he's a really cool guy. So he asked me to help him find a car. So this is has been going on for about like 2 months. I've mention this before and want not. We drive down to Philly a lot to look at cars in not the most 'legit' places. Anyways so we were gonna see this Camaro today, but the dude wasn't there to show us the car but asked us to hold up because he'd be there in an hr. Now Elijah don't have his license so i do all the drive tests. So we were driven by this little dealership and we decided to pull in and look around. We saw a real hot white 89 Corvette. We say a nice 01 jetta. So now the story. The dude comes out and talks to us about his cars. He shows us a few and they were a little to high for elijahs price (maxed out around 2400 but wants something for 1500 that he can get work done on) so he showed me a 95 greet jetta i think exj or something i don't remember exactly but i did see a e and a j i think. Alright it was stick. Now a little history on me i learned how to drive by my gramps but before him i learned how to drive on a 91 Accord and it was stick. It was really sweat and i loved driven it. So i got a little cocky and figured i'd do good driven since techincally i learned how to drive on a stick. Well now that i think of it last time i drove a stick car was a rx-8 and it was for 5 minutes like 2-3 months ago, and before that i didn't really drive much stick. Maybe once in a while pulling a friends car out. So i got into the jetta and i press the clutch start the car and took off the hand break press all the way down on the clutch and try to get it into reverse. I COULDN'T! I guess i turned a little red because the dude said you want me to pull it out for you. I said i'm pullin on it but don't wanna break it. He gets in and one two does it real nice and fast. I was like damn thats awesome. Ok so i'm a tad rusty and it was very noticeable. We pull up to the end of the lot to take a left i knock it into neutral and drove out. I shifted up to 3rd gear. We went around a block. I WAS GETTING OWNED BY STOPPING! After about 1.5 miles i stalled once at a stop sign. I pulled up stopped while knocking it to neutral came to a full stop and then pressed the clutch and hit it to 2nd gear pressed the gas and...stalled. ...yea that's right oh crap. Well he's like you wanna switch i'm like yea man its been a while. I mean before that i went real smooth i shifted good nothing bad i knocked it into neutral a few times at street lights and just rolled up. He like that and all but after i stalled he was like yea...let me drive. It was cool because he knew i was rusty because he saw me driven it. We got out of the car at the dealerstation and we were looking at this ford probe ($900 it wasn't bad just needed to get a few things from a junkyard and be great condition). Well that was stick to. I kinda hesitated on asking to drive it. Once i did he was like i'll take this one and drove elijah around for a show of the car. Just something i thought i'd share. I hope you guys can give me some tips so next time i don't make simple mistakes like knocking into 2nd gear at a stop sign lol
Old 02-01-2006, 04:45 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

I thought you test drove that prelude a month and a half ago or so? Heres advice....neutral to stop signs. Roll up to them. If you accidentaly push it into 3rd gear, go back to neutral.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I thought you test drove that prelude a month and a half ago or so?

it was automatic

oh the 1998 yea... i did so? That was a lot easier shifted better the clutch didn't drop all the way through. Newer stick and just a lot easier this was real tough on me. i test drove a 1994 which was automatic about a month ago too
Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
it was automatic
I see....
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i have no idea what's going on...

looking for a car for a friend...

grandpa helped you learn how to drive...

you stalled a car test driving from the dealership a bunch of times...

first thing, use paragraph form when typing, it makes it a lot easier to read.

secondly, if you want to keep it in gear when stopping, push the clutch in. you cannot stall with the clutch in. but otherwise, do as newyorker says and put it into neutral when you come to a stop.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Wow, that's a big block of text

Just practice driving stick, or keep it only in first, and just play with the clutch pedal at the stops

Nice story BTW
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
His extent is that V4's get better gas mileage than v6's.
oh, did you mean to say V4's (as in, does your friend call them V4's), or did you mean to say I4's, which is what the majority of 4-cylinder cars are these days?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
i have no idea what's going on...

looking for a car for a friend...

grandpa helped you learn how to drive...

you stalled a car test driving from the dealership a bunch of times...

first thing, use paragraph form when typing, it makes it a lot easier to read.

secondly, if you want to keep it in gear when stopping, push the clutch in. you cannot stall with the clutch in. but otherwise, do as newyorker says and put it into neutral when you come to a stop.

No i stalled only once in like a 5-10 minute drive and sorry i know its a big piece of text just thought i'd share the day with you all since i like you all.

Quote:
oh, did you mean to say V4's (as in, does your friend call them V4's), or did you mean to say I4's, which is what the majority of 4-cylinder cars are these days?

V4's It was supposed to be a joke
Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 AM   #9
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Wow, that's a big block of text

Just practice driving stick, or keep it only in first, and just play with the clutch pedal at the stops

Nice story BTW

Thanks appreciate that i really enjoyed driving the car i did pretty good up until that ONE! stop sign. I was at a traffic light and i think i just got cocky or something when i got to the traffic light because i was doing noticably good. The dude was given me compliments left and right because the car didn't have an RPM gauge so i had to listen when to shift and he thought that was real cool that i knew to do that. I don't wanna say i know how to drive stick till i get my own car on stick. Till then i'm only an automatic driver that has past experiences driven a stick. Sorry about the length again i'm a person that LOVES to pay attention to detail.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:08 AM   #10
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
No i stalled only once in like a 5-10 minute drive and sorry i know its a big piece of text just thought i'd share the day with you all since i like you all.
nothin wrong with that... that just means you need a bit more experience with it... us telling you what to do may help with the stopping (as there's a clear solution for that... but if you mess up while moving, there's only so much we can tell ya, you have to learn how to feel the engine and time your shifts yourself

Quote:
V4's It was supposed to be a joke
ok, just making sure
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
nothin wrong with that... that just means you need a bit more experience with it... us telling you what to do may help with the stopping (as there's a clear solution for that... but if you mess up while moving, there's only so much we can tell ya, you have to learn how to feel the engine and time your shifts yourself

ok, just making sure

read the last post bro i know exactly what you mean. Like i said originally i was taught on a stick car. I was never great...nor good but i could get there without looking retarded. I guess so far i should've kept the clutch in to prevent the stalling.... when i knocked into reverse with the probe i pressed on the break took the e brake off and pressed the clutch down and put it into reverse (down hill sorda) just as i let go it gave a jerk back a few times and stalled. What i do wrong?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #12
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

you let up on the clutch before the car was going fast enough to enguage into the gear.

usually when backing out of a driveway... (well except my own, caus it steep enough to let the car roll down) i keep the clutch 1/2 depressed, and ready to push it down if i feel any "fluttering" of the engine, while depressing the gas.

ah, ok. a fun thing to do. get on a flat surface (prefferably an empty parking lot), put the car into 1st gear, and SLOWLY, ever so slowly lift up on the clutch. i'm sure you know the car will eventually start to roll, because it's begining to enguage itself into gear, and the engine IS running (at low rpm's, so it doesnt go very fast). now, just take note as to where it starts to flutter, and ultimately, stall. rougly, just before that is where you want to keep the clutch depressed when stopped, and when trying to move slowly (like backing out of a parking space/driveway, parallel parking, inching up in heavy traffic )

oh, and why do you start the car in 2nd gear?
Quote:
came to a full stop and then pressed the clutch and hit it to 2nd gear pressed the gas
unless you've got a power demon and you're trying to get moving on ice, why is 2nd better then 1st?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
oh, and why do you start the car in 2nd gear? unless you've got a power demon and you're trying to get moving on ice, why is 2nd better then 1st?
Probably because it's easier, it saves a shift, and unless he's doing hard acceleration, it would be smoother too, right?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Probably because it's easier, it saves a shift, and unless he's doing hard acceleration, it would be smoother too, right?

I don't think it would be easier I think the higher the gear you start off in the harder. Also I believe the car starts to jump and bump and crap when the gear is to high and your trying to release the clutch.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #15
ride3k
CF Addict

ya, you start in a higher gear b/c of toruqe issues, i think

you know whats hard learning stick on? a 400+ hp and 450+ft lbs/tq camaro, lets just say if you mess up more than once, you can start smeeling fresh burnt clutch, luckily i have my dads jeans, yes, the ones you wear, and i only mis-shifted once and stalled about 4 times in an hour and halof, my first time, just a little joy post! =P

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote