Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

smart car?

Does any one know if the smart car is available in the US yet?

I’ve looked at the zap site and it doesn’t have an option to buy, or anything like that. I just got my new Credit score and I'm high enough that I could get a loan! So I’m thinking I’d sell the Fiero, and the Breeze and I’d have like 7k and I could pay for almost half of the car... or only put down 3k and save the rest... but either way if the smart car is available I wanted to pick it up.

If not ill just sit patiently and wait.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Does any one know if the smart car is available in the US yet?

Iíve looked at the zap site and it doesnít have an option to buy, or anything like that. I just got my new Credit score and I'm high enough that I could get a loan! So Iím thinking Iíd sell the Fiero, and the Breeze and Iíd have like 7k and I could pay for almost half of the car... or only put down 3k and save the rest... but either way if the smart car is available I wanted to pick it up.

If not ill just sit patiently and wait.
I'm not too sure on it's availablity in the US at the moment. We had to make do with LHD import versions for the first couple of years. Why would you want one anyway? just wondering

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I've seen them running around Baltimore, but then again, one of the two main importers is IN baltimore, JK Technologies (they are also registered importers for cars like the Skyline, too, and I saw a DOT Crash tested Skyline at their facilities)

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features29

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm not too sure on it's availablity in the US at the moment. We had to make do with LHD import versions for the first couple of years. Why would you want one anyway? just wondering
They get great gas millage, they are cool looking and I like them.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
They get great gas millage, they are cool looking and I like them.
That's as good a reason as any I guess

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

smart cars are the ugliest cars I have ever seen. They are tiny as hell...so small in fast you could park sideways in a parking stall and still have a little room left over. They are like a death trap, imagine getting into an accident...and that 40hp ain't too good either
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
smart cars are the ugliest cars I have ever seen. They are tiny as hell...so small in fast you could park sideways in a parking stall and still have a little room left over. They are like a death trap, imagine getting into an accident...and that 40hp ain't too good either
40hp? I thought it was nearer 60hp?.....I think all the points you mention are the reason most people buy them....apart from having an accident lol

Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Actually I've heard good about their safety...just come to Canada and pick one up, the dealerships about 5 minutes from my house
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Actually I've heard good about their safety...just come to Canada and pick one up, the dealerships about 5 minutes from my house

I don’t know what the deal is with importing it... other then that ya I think I might.

Golddragoner are you familiar with a space frame?
Well incase you aren’t the space frame technology was pioneered by Pontiac in the Fiero (which I own) during production years the only car to beat the Fiero in front and side impacts was a Volvo that had air bags, the Fiero beat other top end cars with air bags yet had none its self.

This is due to the design of the frame which surrounds the driver like a big roll cage, in an accident the energy enters the frame and twists it, leaving virtually no energy left to enter the occupants.

Same technology is used by the Smart car and in fact they even have air bags.

Oh and they have 90bph (per their Australian site for the for4). And have a top speed of over 150mph. Their weight to power ratio is supposed to be comparable with most popular sport sedans.

lastly ugly... well that’s just a matter of opinion isn’t it.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

The whole point of cars like this is being tiny. City cars have no need of being land yachts, and if more people drove cars like this in town, we'd all be better off.

Fears about being in a death trap are typical of the uninformed. And it would take too much to teach you the facts.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
*Cough* Retard *Cough*
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30767077503480

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #12
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan

Wow Stiman thanks for that video... a video like that is 1300000000 of my words.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

No prob. I remembered seeing it before so I thought it would help here.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 AM   #14
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

If i'm not mistaken, Daimler Chrysler is still debating whether to bring the ForTwo into the U.S. in 2007. I'm pretty sure they are planning on selling a crossover SUV that year, but they are waiting for the ForTwo to become legal in the states.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #15
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan

Just out of curiosity if you know, do you think that frame could withstand being t-boned by another car?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote