Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yes, but he needs something to support that opinion...
He clearly has\something to support his opinion, otherwise he wouldn't think that way lol. He said that US cars just dont appeal to him......so maybe that's as much support as he needs?

I dislike French cars, ok they're getting better these days, but I'm still not keen on them.....and my reasoning is just that I have had bad experiences with working on them and I feel that they could be alot more user freindly. Other than that, they've just never appealed to me. And I dont see the need to give any more reasoning for an opinion

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #32
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
He clearly has\something to support his opinion, otherwise he wouldn't think that way lol. He said that US cars just dont appeal to him......so maybe that's as much support as he needs?

I dislike French cars, ok they're getting better these days, but I'm still not keen on them.....and my reasoning is just that I have had bad experiences with working on them and I feel that they could be alot more user freindly. Other than that, they've just never appealed to me. And I dont see the need to give any more reasoning for an opinion
Good point lol.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #33
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

yea... i'm pretty sure people have a good reason to be racist... since they are, they MUST have a socially acceptable reason... right?

if he doesn't like a car because the brand is based in a certain country... then i'd say it is pretty ignorant, as chris_knows said. if he doesnt like a few american cars, then fine... but if he doesn't give a car a chance simply because of something not even having to do with the looks (debatable... since some cars may have more european styling, or american styling), engineering, or preformance of the car, then yea... that doesn't seem acceptable to me.

i'm not gonna make a personal attack on him (caus i dont see him changing his mind, and it's not like he cut off 90% of the cars out there), but if you choose to defence him acting in such a way... that just makes it that much worse.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #34
Ruaerikoholic
CF Newbie

Wow... alll i say said is American cars dont appeal to me....

I guess you guys need a reason, all of the units i have drove that my dad or his lots have purchased, have not satisfied me to the point whre i have said, man i would like to drive this car everyday. End of story, i want a import.

Im not bashing your neon, im just syaing i dont want a Neon

I think i found myself a nice Black evo 8
Ruaerikoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #35
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruaerikoholic
Wow... alll i say said is American cars dont appeal to me....

I guess you guys need a reason, all of the units i have drove that my dad or his lots have purchased, have not satisfied me to the point whre i have said, man i would like to drive this car everyday. End of story, i want a import.

Im not bashing your neon, im just syaing i dont want a Neon

I think i found myself a nice Black evo 8
Could we see some pics of her?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #36
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

hey, if you dont like neons, fine. it doesnt bother me, they're not for everyone.

and out of curiousity, what american cars have you driven?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #37
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
yea... i'm pretty sure people have a good reason to be racist... since they are, they MUST have a socially acceptable reason... right?

if he doesn't like a car because the brand is based in a certain country... then i'd say it is pretty ignorant, as chris_knows said. if he doesnt like a few american cars, then fine... but if he doesn't give a car a chance simply because of something not even having to do with the looks (debatable... since some cars may have more european styling, or american styling), engineering, or preformance of the car, then yea... that doesn't seem acceptable to me.

i'm not gonna make a personal attack on him (caus i dont see him changing his mind, and it's not like he cut off 90% of the cars out there), but if you choose to defence him acting in such a way... that just makes it that much worse.
Hey, people have the right not to like a certain country's cars, it's not racist, and it's ignorance on you part if you think it is! And anyway, aint you guys always talking about freedom of speech?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Hey, people have the right not to like a certain country's cars, it's not racist, and it's ignorance on you part if you think it is! And anyway, aint you guys always talking about freedom of speech?

We've gone over this ground before, too.

people ALSO have the right to make negative comments abut people who make negative comments.

Sorry, again when we try to find out if there are intelligent reasoning behind opinions, that's OUR right. And if we decide that the reasons are unintelligent, ignorant, or just plain closed minded, that's ALSO our right.

And I've asked this before: why is it a valid goal to strive to be MORE closed minded, but not ask WHY someone wants to be more closed minded? And al Iv'e gotten was, "it's their right to be closed minded." People have the right to intentionally fail in school, too, but that doesn't mean it's something we shoudl respect anyone for.

Take cars on an individual basis, not as a "country of origin" basis, as there is not logical reason that you can lump ALL cars from any single country together any more than you can all people of one country.

And Cliffy, you can't say than an R5 Turbo II or a Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 is the same as a Renault Dauphine or a Peugeot 505. So hating all of them because you had a bad experience working on one of them makes you an uneducated fool. Go look at the list of cars I've owned. Dos that look like I intentionally limited myself?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #39
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And Cliffy, you can't say than an R5 Turbo II or a Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 is the same as a Renault Dauphine or a Peugeot 505. So hating all of them because you had a bad experience working on one of them makes you an uneducated fool. Go look at the list of cars I've owned. Dos that look like I intentionally limited myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
For starters, I didn't say I've had a bad experience with just one of them, numerous French cars is closer to the point. I'm sure you know as much as anybody that alot of french cars share setups, so really even working on one of them can technically mean working on alot more!

And secondly, If you look at the quote you'll realise that I also didn't say that was the only reason I don't like them, I said they just didn't appeal, which was intended to tell people that there were other faults, on past and some on present French cars, that I dont like!

Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #40
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

what about american's who hate (or strongly dislike, or even just shun) japanese imports because they're unamerican? i'd also say that's ignorant, and racist.

oh, and why isn't it racist to dislike any particular thing due to it's country of origin? saying "all <insert country here>'s people are snobs, and i wont have anything to do with them" is surely racists... so why is it different if we take something other then people and apply the same "logic"?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
For starters, I didn't say I've had a bad experience with just one of them, numerous French cars is closer to the point. I'm sure you know as much as anybody that alot of french cars share setups, so really even working on one of them can technically mean working on alot more!

And secondly, If you look at the quote you'll realise that I also didn't say that was the only reason I don't like them, I said they just didn't appeal, which was intended to tell people that there were other faults, on past and some on present French cars, that I dont like!

there are problems with cars from all over. german cars that have grounding issues, French cars with suspension issues, Japanese cars with rust problems, Italian cars like my Fiat with all of the above. I've had excellent and crappy examples of each of them, so jusging all of a country's cars by a few examples is to put it bluntly, stupid. You dont' have a large enough sample set to make an accurate, informed determination. Hell, just in teh US, there are enoguh differences between Fords ad GM cars, new Fords and older ones, and the like to not be able to make an accurate determination of what is or is't a good car.

And seriously, if you can't find reasons to appreciate cars like these, then you are an uninformed non-enthusaist:

I could go on, for cars from ANY country. I hate to see closed minded bullshit passing itself off as mere "opinion."

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #42
elchango36
WWJCD

Okay, lets settle this once and for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I could go on, for cars from ANY country. I hate to see closed minded bullshit passing itself off as mere "opinion."
from=Psychology in Perspective: Third Edition-Carol Tavris, Carole Wade

I hope that clears everything up!!!

Last edited by elchango36 : 02-03-2006 at 07:45 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #43
Ruaerikoholic
CF Newbie

wow first off, THis is probably the worst most un imformitivie forum i have ever joined, In no way have you guys given me any good reasons or pros and cons of the cars i listed....

All you guys did was start a huge fight over me not wanting to drive any American car... which is clearly my right i dont want to drive a ****ing american car if i dont want too and you guys are clearly not going to change my mind.

Im gonna find a new forum, sorry i ever asked this question
Ruaerikoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #44
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruaerikoholic
wow first off, THis is probably the worst most un imformitivie forum i have ever joined, In no way have you guys given me any good reasons or pros and cons of the cars i listed....

All you guys did was start a huge fight over me not wanting to drive any American car... which is clearly my right i dont want to drive a ****ing american car if i dont want too and you guys are clearly not going to change my mind.

Im gonna find a new forum, sorry i ever asked this question
WWWAAAAA WWWWAAAAA I WANT MY MOMMY!!!!
Yeah, whatever Focker. Many people gave you good advise, youre the one that said something dumb and ignorant. (Your'e telling me you wouldn't drive a Corvette??? )
Old 02-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #45
vlc92189
CF Newbie

out of them id take the bmw, evo. but my personal pref is the s2000
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote