Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
ride3k
CF Addict

Project car

ok guys, i think i am ready to start my project car, and i hope to learn alot from it and have tooons of fun doing it, so heres my plan

i want t buy an import shell (teg, civic, that type of thing), but i do like the ameican classics as well, and figure the biggest block i can fit into it, and try and build that block from scratch. The first thing i need to do is determine a price for the shell and for the engine and then i need to save that money up before i finish this school year ( i want to at least take a look at starting it this summer) so, if anyone who has done anything similar, could share thier experiences with me and if anyone has a good geustimate on what a shell would cost, i would be much abliged

ALSO does anyone know of a good place to look, besides the local junkyard, for a good condition shell?

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well if you can find a forum like one I'm on, then a shell shouldn't be hard to locate. One shouldn't cost too much either, around $500-$1000 for a good/decent one (some are even cheaper). I think you posted in my recent thread with the Civic, something like that (or stock) should be easy to find in yards, driveways and in classifieds (sites or papers/magazines), just look around alittle.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
bebopin64
CF Enthusiast

If you want some american muscle you should look through some police auctions. you can get a foxbody or trans am or something of that nature for $500 running. I also saw recently a pristine 2004 cobra sell for $3700 at a police auction.
bebopin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Something you have to look at is emissions in your area. If, like where I built my V8 RX7 (which was quite cheap, BTW) it doesn't matter, you can do a lot for not much money. If you do have to worry abiout emissions, you either spend a lot on a newer car and newer engnie to stay legal, or you build up an older car. If you do build up an older car, move away from the popular cars. Perfromance per dollar doesn't really care how popular a car was. And if it's done well, it can become popular.

I've got a couple cheap Ford based plans in that vein, myslef. You could duplicate my 460 powered Fox Mustang, as it was a '79-80 styule, whcih in most places doesn't have emissions anymore. You can build up 500+ hp and 600+ lb ft of torque from a 460 for dirt cheap (i.e. under $1500 total).

Personally, I'd put that engine into a Maverick, Mustang II, or even Pinto (with appropriate chassis mods).

Picture this car (which can be had as a non running shell for under $500 easy) with 500+ normally aspirated daily driver hp and 1 G of cornering:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
ahoo
CF Addict

nice looking car

It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Something you have to look at is emissions in your area. If, like where I built my V8 RX7 (which was quite cheap, BTW) it doesn't matter, you can do a lot for not much money. If you do have to worry abiout emissions, you either spend a lot on a newer car and newer engnie to stay legal, or you build up an older car. If you do build up an older car, move away from the popular cars. Perfromance per dollar doesn't really care how popular a car was. And if it's done well, it can become popular.

I've got a couple cheap Ford based plans in that vein, myslef. You could duplicate my 460 powered Fox Mustang, as it was a '79-80 styule, whcih in most places doesn't have emissions anymore. You can build up 500+ hp and 600+ lb ft of torque from a 460 for dirt cheap (i.e. under $1500 total).

Personally, I'd put that engine into a Maverick, Mustang II, or even Pinto (with appropriate chassis mods).

Picture this car (which can be had as a non running shell for under $500 easy) with 500+ normally aspirated daily driver hp and 1 G of cornering:

ok chris you neeg to hook me up with those plans since My comet is just maverick by a diffrent name. I have 1500 dollars coming out my ears
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote