Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should elderly people be aloud behind the wheel?
Yes 3 10.00%
No 4 13.33%
Yes, but only after having been retested 17 56.67%
All drivers, regardless of age, need monitoring 1 3.33%
All drivers, regardless of age, need monitoring, but more so the elderly! 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

How old is too old?

Just wondering what your thoughts were on elderly people being behind the wheel? By elderly I mean anything from people in their late 70's up to....well, when they die I guess lol. The reason I ask is that from what I've seen most elderly people shouldn't e on the road! For example, on numerous occassions I've witnessed old people weaving all over the road, hesitating at road junctions, driving far too slow for the road they're on. Just general bad driving really.

I recently had my drivers door mirror torn off by an old person, problem I'm faced with is that I was moving around a row of stationary traffic at the time, and where there was clearly nowhere for me to dive in and let him through, he just kept on driving through the gap. To be honest there was room for two cars through there anyway, and he was just driving too far from the kurb. But, as I was moving round stationary traffic, th book says it's his right of way! Oh, I was in a company car, too lol

Anyway, We pulled over, and I was astonished by this drivers driving, it took him about 15mins just to pull over in a safe place! And when I looked through his window, I realised that asking him ti get out of the car would be easier said than done, as he had a hearing aid and had crutches next to him....So, what are your thoughts? I think they should be allowed, but only after having taken a refresher driving test. And to be honest, I think it would make the roads alot safer!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-03-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

i feel bad for the elderly. i believe they should be retested. its like we are taking away one of their last freedoms.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
HoofHearted
CF Newbie

My .02 cents:

I FIRMLY believe that if you qualify for Social Sec. Then you should be tested yearly. Vision, Written Test, Drive test, Everything.
Along with advanced age comes diminished capacity.
Most of the Blue Hair people I see behind the wheel of a vehicle have absolutely no clue what they are doing.
my girlfriend and I followed my pop down the freeway one day in Denver, and he is a wreck just waiting to happen.
doesnt pay attention, all over the road, and is a rolling hazard,
In my opinion, he is not the exception, he is the rule.
old geezers should be tested frequently, and vigorously.

Hoof.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

People should be tested regularly regardless. I know a number of older racers who are better drivers than most people of any age. A guy in SCCA who STARTED racig when he was 60 and won his first formula car championship when he was 70. And that was less than 5 years ago.

Old people who drive the way they do now have driven that way even when they were younger.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
People should be tested regularly regardless. I know a number of older racers who are better drivers than most people of any age. A guy in SCCA who STARTED racig when he was 60 and won his first formula car championship when he was 70. And that was less than 5 years ago.

Old people who drive the way they do now have driven that way even when they were younger.

Exactly.
Most of that stuff could be said about young drivers not paying attention driving too fast etc.
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I think its wrong that they still allow people with Alzheimers to be behind the wheel. Can you imagine if you were elderly, had Alzheimers and all the sudden didn't know what in the world you were doing or how to drive? Scary thought, but it happens.

They actually had a story about elderly drivers yesterday on the Today show. Florida is the only state that requires any additional standards for the elderly and it is only the fact that they have to have a vision test redone.

Someone once before in another thread mentioned retesting when you need your license renewed, regardless of age. I don't think this is a bad idea at all, however, I think they would need to open additional DMV's to handle the increased volume of people needing the driving test.

I also think they should make the driving test harder than it is now. I know when I tested for my license I was required to turn onto the street, drive to the stoplight, turn into a church parking lot, turn around, drive back to the DMV and pull straight into an empty space. How difficult is that, honestly?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I think its wrong that they still allow people with Alzheimers to be behind the wheel. Can you imagine if you were elderly, had Alzheimers and all the sudden didn't know what in the world you were doing or how to drive? Scary thought, but it happens.

They actually had a story about elderly drivers yesterday on the Today show. Florida is the only state that requires any additional standards for the elderly and it is only the fact that they have to have a vision test redone.

Someone once before in another thread mentioned retesting when you need your license renewed, regardless of age. I don't think this is a bad idea at all, however, I think they would need to open additional DMV's to handle the increased volume of people needing the driving test.

I also think they should make the driving test harder than it is now. I know when I tested for my license I was required to turn onto the street, drive to the stoplight, turn into a church parking lot, turn around, drive back to the DMV and pull straight into an empty space. How difficult is that, honestly?
Florida is where all these old people come to retire and die thats why
Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
SmileLines
CF Newbie

Quote:

Haha... very true. I didn't know that here in Florida, they have to be tested again. Is so, my grandmother is long overdue for one.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV

I agree, I'll add another option to the poll I think...or another couple lol. I do think that people of all ages have their bad habbits. I presume that's what ya meant?

I do still think that Elderly folk, along with young folk who have just passed their test, are amounst the more dangerous though. Infact, prolly more the old person actually lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-03-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

the bigest problem i find with elderly drivers, is theyre slowness, im no regular for speeding, but 20 km/h is just too slow, on a main road
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I think that all people should be tested every 2-3 years, and elderly people (60+) annually(sp?)...It'll keep less people at the DMV and still get everyone tested, but true there are some older people who drive better than a lot of younger people...
Old 02-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
My grandmas friend moved down there. Silly old people. I say they should be retested because some of them start losing those 52 cards upstairs and don't play with a full deck.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Do you know who this guy is?

He's the guy who wrote this book:

And a personal friend to Enzo Ferrari, and one of the few people in the world that Porsche and Ferrari let drive their prototype cars.

I'd say he's old, but I'd also say he could outdrive anyone here (including myself) by far. Definitely not slow.

This is him in the Audi R8. Notice the name on the car...

Please, let's not make any generalizations about how old people shouldn't drive because they are slow or lack skill. People who are young and lack skill grow into people who are old and lack skill. People who are young and HAVE skill, grow into people who are old and have skill.

EVERYONE should be regularly tested, and not just at staying in your lane or following rules.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Yeah, I think I read about him...or someone else who was quite old who test drove Porsches (In Road & Track), actually, the way I see it, old people aren't getting worse by much, but rather since streets get more crowded and aggressive, most aren't used to it, and for a lot, their reaction times slow down, and cars get more powerful, that's gotta account for something, at least the way I see it...
Old 02-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
fudge
let's fighting love

I don't have a problem with their skills, it's their awareness that worries me. To pass your driving test you are expected to show that you're competent at all aspects and observe and act according to the condition(and that includes making good progress). Most elderly drivers(I've seen) drive slow in all conditions, signal and manouver way too slow which can cause accidents.

Sure there is a handful of good old racing drivers and I regularly see Motoharu Kurosawa kicking everyone else's butt in Best Motoring battles. I personally think that people shouldn't drive when they are too old just like you shouldn't drive because you're too young. And I've seen people who aren't old enough to drive on the roads and yet race in the Porsche Carrera cup!