Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
OttawaSensky
CF Newbie
 
OttawaSensky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Getting a Volvo S40- Opinions

Doing some research, it looks like I can pull off an 06 Volvo S40 to lease for under 300 a month (Ford Discount). I just wanted to know what people think of the car and Volvo's in general. Its the base engine, I took it for a test drive and liked it a lot. Just wanted to know about Volvo's reliability, problems, etc. as I have never dealt with Volvo's in my life. Any info you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks
OttawaSensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Reliability is generally good on Volvo's. Is it a petrol or diesel you're thinking of getting?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSensky
Doing some research, it looks like I can pull off an 06 Volvo S40 to lease for under 300 a month (Ford Discount). I just wanted to know what people think of the car and Volvo's in general. Its the base engine, I took it for a test drive and liked it a lot. Just wanted to know about Volvo's reliability, problems, etc. as I have never dealt with Volvo's in my life. Any info you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Any reason why you are leasing it? Leasing vehicles is just like throwing money down the toilet.

I like the S40, but I'd much rather have other vehicles in its segment.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Reliability is generally good on Volvo's. Is it a petrol or diesel you're thinking of getting?

We only get petrol Volvos over here cliffy
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
We only get petrol Volvos over here cliffy
Oh yeah....I forgot that VW's seem to be the only Diesels you guys get lol.

As far as leasing goes, it can work out cheaper in the long run. I mean, you get tyres and Servicing paid for throughout the term of the contract, and if after the lease expires you want to buy the car, you can, at a cut down price!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
OttawaSensky
CF Newbie
 
OttawaSensky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Oh yeah....I forgot that VW's seem to be the only Diesels you guys get lol.

As far as leasing goes, it can work out cheaper in the long run. I mean, you get tyres and Servicing paid for throughout the term of the contract, and if after the lease expires you want to buy the car, you can, at a cut down price!

Well, here is why I lease. I dont put on that many miles, so I really dont need that much. The entire length of the term of the lease my car will be under warranty, so if anything happens I dont pay for it, and its also a lower monthly payment than if I bought. I honestly see no real reason given my driving characteristics why I need to purchase a car. Plus I get a new car every 3 years if I want to. Also, like you said, If i really love the car, I can just purchase it at the end.

A question to the other poster, in its price range, what cars do you like better? Id still like to look at other vehicles, so any suggestions you can give would be great.
OttawaSensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSensky
Well, here is why I lease. I dont put on that many miles, so I really dont need that much. The entire length of the term of the lease my car will be under warranty, so if anything happens I dont pay for it, and its also a lower monthly payment than if I bought. I honestly see no real reason given my driving characteristics why I need to purchase a car. Plus I get a new car every 3 years if I want to. Also, like you said, If i really love the car, I can just purchase it at the end.

A question to the other poster, in its price range, what cars do you like better? Id still like to look at other vehicles, so any suggestions you can give would be great.

Accord V6
TSX (if you're willing to go up to about $27k)
6s
Altima V6
Impreza WRX (Saab 9-2X)

To name a few.

I still think buying a car is a much better idea than leasing, you still are losing more money buy not purchasing the vehicle (and the fact you never really "own" a vehicle, just "renting" it from the dealer). If you decide to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease you're really wasting a lot of money, you get it for a discounted price, but you still pay thousands more than what you would of paid for it if you just bought it up front. Plus, it's good just to own a great car for years and years (like my 1990 Accord which was purchased new in feb. of 1990 by my dad, 229,200 trouble free miles). While you had a car payment for the past 12 years, he didnt as he paid off the Accord in 4 years. You dont need a new vehicle every 3 years.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~


Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 02-05-2006 at 08:19 PM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Accord V6
TSX (if you're willing to go up to about $27k)
6s
Altima V6
Impreza WRX (Saab 9-2X)

To name a few.

I still think buying a car is a much better idea than leasing, you still are losing more money buy not purchasing the vehicle (and the fact you never really "own" a vehicle, just "renting" it from the dealer). If you decide to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease you're really wasting a lot of money, you get it for a discounted price, but you still pay thousands more than what you would of paid for it if you just bought it up front. Plus, it's good just to own a great car for years and years (like my 1990 Accord which was purchased new in feb. of 1990 by my dad, 229,200 trouble free miles). While you had a car payment for the past 12 years, he didnt as he paid off the Accord in 4 years. You dont need a new vehicle every 3 years.
Fair point, but look at it from another point of view. He may spend a few thousand on it for the three years, than buy it at a bargain price. This price usually reflects the fact that he's paid alot of money for it over the years. So really, he pays only what the car is worth and doesn't need to worry about maintenence!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Fair point, but look at it from another point of view. He may spend a few thousand on it for the three years, than buy it at a bargain price. This price usually reflects the fact that he's paid alot of money for it over the years. So really, he pays only what the car is worth and doesn't need to worry about maintenence!

That's not true. There is a reason financial people always put down leasing, because if you do end up buying the vehicle in the end, you end up paying WAY MORE than someone who bought the vehicle when it was brand new. Otherwise, people would be leasing vehicles left and right...which obviously most people do not do.

Plus look at this in the long run. If you lease 4 vehicles over 12 years (3 years a pop), you constantly have a car payment, basically a 12 year variable car payment. Say you pay on average only $300 a month for your lease, but you pay that over 12 years constantly. That ends up being $43,200 you spent on RENTING cars, cars you never own. While "the other guy" bought a car that was $20,000 (the same kind of vehicle you were leasing) and paid it off in 4 years with a $3200 down payment. His monthly payment was $350. So, after only 4 years, he wasnt paying a thing as far as a car payment goes while the guy leasing is still paying his $300 every month, for the rest of the 12 years (8 years). In the end you save a ton of money. Plus you have so many constrants when leasing a vehicle (such as you can only drive X amount of miles, and if you go over that, they make you pay, big time).
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
That's not true. There is a reason financial people always put down leasing, because if you do end up buying the vehicle in the end, you end up paying WAY MORE than someone who bought the vehicle when it was brand new. Otherwise, people would be leasing vehicles left and right...which obviously most people do not do.

Plus look at this in the long run. If you lease 4 vehicles over 12 years (3 years a pop), you constantly have a car payment, basically a 12 year variable car payment. Say you pay on average only $300 a month for your lease, but you pay that over 12 years constantly. That ends up being $43,200 you spent on RENTING cars, cars you never own. While "the other guy" bought a car that was $20,000 (the same kind of vehicle you were leasing) and paid it off in 4 years with a $3200 down payment. His monthly payment was $350. So, after only 4 years, he wasnt paying a thing as far as a car payment goes while the guy leasing is still paying his $300 every month, for the rest of the 12 years (8 years). In the end you save a ton of money. Plus you have so many constrants when leasing a vehicle (such as you can only drive X amount of miles, and if you go over that, they make you pay, big time).
But surely that would defeat the object of leasing a vehicle? afterall, alot of companies who own numerous vehicles use a contract plan!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
But surely that would defeat the object of leasing a vehicle? afterall, alot of companies who own numerous vehicles use a contract plan!

People lease vehicles because of mostly one thing, the lower monthly payment.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
OttawaSensky
CF Newbie
 
OttawaSensky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
That is really a main reason for it, a lower monthly payment, the chances of me buying the vehicle are very slim. I enjoy it because I can get a pretty nice vehicle with a lower payment. The WRX payment in a purchase was around $430 a month (out of my budget).

I am going to look into the TSX, perhaps because im turning the car in theyll give me a deal, but i have a feeling it going to be too much. I really didnt make it into a lease v. buy debate, because if im getting a new car, its going to be a lease, if i cant find anything, i may just have to purchase a used junker or something.

When I get a better job, I do plan on purchasing a vehicle, its just something where I hate driving crappy vehicles, im usually good at saving money, but cars are just something nice I like to have.

Last edited by OttawaSensky : 02-06-2006 at 06:22 AM.
OttawaSensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
Mike007
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5
If you're "smart" you'll forget the Volvo and get yourself and Audi A4. You get a far better performance and its German Maybe a used BMW. If you prefer safety and reliability then go with the Volvo, they're the best. Try looking around the internet, maybe you find a more suitable car for you. As for the payments, find a used car. You can find a used Audi A4 for as low as 15k US$.
Mike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
OttawaSensky
CF Newbie
 
OttawaSensky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike007
If you're "smart" you'll forget the Volvo and get yourself and Audi A4. You get a far better performance and its German Maybe a used BMW. If you prefer safety and reliability then go with the Volvo, they're the best. Try looking around the internet, maybe you find a more suitable car for you. As for the payments, find a used car. You can find a used Audi A4 for as low as 15k US$.


I am always a little skeptical about buying a used car, especially if its european. (If you end up getting a car with a ton of problems, the price to repair all of that will be tremendous) Audi's are probably one of, if not my favourite type of car. The difference here is, I would be getting a NEW Volvo S40, which I like, compared to a used Audi. I will look into a used vehicle, as I have no idea how much ill have to pay for something along the lines of 14-15K used.
OttawaSensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.