Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
3N61N35
CF Newbie

Question Can I Get A Little Help???

Hi everyone.
I need a little help with a car that my mom owns. I know a lot about cars, until it comes to wiring. This problem that I am having is to do with the radio of a 91 Geo Metro 4Dr Hatchback.
Ok, a little over a year ago the radio stopped working. Until now we didn't try to really mess with it because this car is only used when painting houses and stuff. Now it is bugging me though. When I took the cover off, the red light was flashing on the deck. I checked all the fuses earlier, and they were all good (I figured they would be). Anyway, I took the deck out as far as I could and found that the biggest cable was disconnected, so I reconnected it. Nothing happened. So I thought that it was the ground wire. I began tracing it down and there was a black box with a fuse inside. I popped it out to check it and got a spark fly up at my face. I disconnected the battery so that I could safely put it back in. Then, I reconnected the battery and the red light stopped flashing completely. So now I need to know why the red light stopped flashing and what it's purpose is for in the first place? I know it has to do with the reset button, because when I pushed that in it stopped flashing completely when it still worked. Also, I still need to fix the radio!
Thanks for any help that you can provide.
3N61N35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
carls47807
CF Freak

check for 12v at the (usually yellow) constant feed and 12v with ignition on (usually red wire) at ignition wire. (might have to buy a haynes manual or something) your antenna should work as a ground for the time being, but you might as well check that too. if you have power at all these places then your deck is probably bad.

aftermarket or factory?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
3N61N35
CF Newbie

I just found out it is aftermarket...though seems crappy still.
It is a Koss MS510.
My main problem right now is this fuse. Why did it spark and what is up with that red light?
What was that thick cable that was disconnected?
And I know all the colors because there is a diagram on the bottom.
Thank you for your help.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
3N61N35
CF Newbie

So does anyone have any ideas??
Just a simple push in the right direction would really help me. I just need to know where to start...the ground or that fuse and if so what to do with each?
Thanks to all
Old 02-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N61N35
So does anyone have any ideas??
Just a simple push in the right direction would really help me. I just need to know where to start...the ground or that fuse and if so what to do with each?
Thanks to all
I think that someone who proclaims to "know a lot about cars" should have no trouble figuring this little dilemma out. That is unless they don't really "know a lot about cars", which is the scenerio that gets my vote.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
3N61N35
CF Newbie

When I said I know a lot about cars, I meant engines and the way they work. Nobody who I have talked to has a single idea about this fuse nor the red light. Everyone thinks it is an alarm or some sort of security feature, but it's not.
If you knew at all about cars, then maybe you could help me instead of starting trouble. I just want to fix this problem. I admit I am not a genius about cars but I know everything that I should plus more. If I were a genius, then I wouldn't be on here asking questions nor would anyone else.
I know what every wire does for radios in general, but this particular one is a mystery. I have not worked with radios before but have helped take one out and install one a little bit... not troubleshooting though.
Just please help me.
Thanks to those who care
And to those who don't