Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

A new set of wheels

Summertime is coming, and its time for a new set of wheels.

The 17in wheels

The tires they come with are NEXEN N3000 205/40-R17
Price is 600 dollars plus 20 for shipping insurance, 40 for balance, and 35 for new lug nuts. Total is 695 shipped. What do you think? Is the price good?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 02-06-2006 at 01:43 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker

The 17in wheels

Price is 600 dollars plus 20 for shipping insurance, 40 for balance, and 35 for new lug nuts. Total is 695 shipped. What do you think? Is the price good?

I bought the same kind of tires on ebay for like 220 with shipping... havent put them on yet since it's snowing. Then i bought 17 ADR phantom ( or phatom) wheels which look like these but i think better amd paid like 300 with shipping on ebay. Got the wheels mounted on the tires for $20 and could of gotten them balanced for $20 more... SO my total without balancing was $540... The tires and wheels are in my bedroom now and i will put them on probably in like 20 days or so.
BTW they are Nexen 205/40-ZR17
and why do u need new lug nuts?

also when they balance what do they do?? like do they just check air pressure and make sure the correct air pressure goes on each tire? Cause if thats all they do seems like anyone could do that themselves... I dunno so dont flame

Last edited by V-Tec : 02-06-2006 at 04:59 AM.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
OombaIsBack
Banned

+10 horsepower
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
...also when they balance what do they do?? like do they just check air pressure and make sure the correct air pressure goes on each tire? Cause if thats all they do seems like anyone could do that themselves... I dunno so dont flame

Well you don't need a balancer to check air pressure. You use a balancer because tires, like people have a center of gravity (sort to speak).

Analogy time: Imagine a tightrope walker. They use a pole or their arms to acheive an even distribution of weight. This is similar to why you would balance your tire as the rubber is not always of even distribution to achieve a balance to the road.

Mechanics will use a weight to counterbalance heavy spots in the tire. This helps provide a move even distribution of weight on the tire. They spin it on the balancer to determine how much weight and where the weight should be added. This prevents things such as extra bounce, vibration, untimely wear on tires and even possible damage to your suspension.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I was actually looking at the Nexen tires. Let me know how they handle if you get them. It's actually a toss up between those and the Essenza EVO-Z tires (comperable to Goodyear F1's and made by Goodyear). Both have similar tread design.

Best price I've found on the tires alone is $108 a piece, not including mount and balance.

Wait, didn't you just buy some Yokohama's or something like a month ago?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
also when they balance what do they do?? like do they just check air pressure and make sure the correct air pressure goes on each tire? Cause if thats all they do seems like anyone could do that themselves... I dunno so dont flame

Basically, each wheel/tire goes on a big machine. The machine spins it, and determines that one spot is slightly heavier than another spot. It then tells the mechanic where to hammer on (with steel wheels and some alloy wheels) or stick on (with most alloy wheels) very small weights. These weights balance the wheel.

I do this everyday at work, one of the simplest things to do, except you can't do it without the machine, as far as I know.

If you check your current wheels, you should see some weights either around the rim, or stuck on the inside of the wheel.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
+10 horsepower

+20 if they were chrome.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I was actually looking at the Nexen tires. Let me know how they handle if you get them. It's actually a toss up between those and the Essenza EVO-Z tires (comperable to Goodyear F1's and made by Goodyear). Both have similar tread design.

Best price I've found on the tires alone is $108 a piece, not including mount and balance.

Wait, didn't you just buy some Yokohama's or something like a month ago?
Those were for my stock wheels, size being 185/65-HR14

Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:

The 17in wheels

Honestly, I would say no point. That is $600...a large chunk of money that can come very useful in the upcoming times. Also, not only does the average person not care about rims, but you already have rims to begin with and not stupid hubcaps like mine.

That being said, if you indeed REALLY want to do it, go ahead as they do look good and that price isnt bad for everything included.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #10
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Basically, each wheel/tire goes on a big machine. The machine spins it, and determines that one spot is slightly heavier than another spot. It then tells the mechanic where to hammer on (with steel wheels and some alloy wheels) or stick on (with most alloy wheels) very small weights. These weights balance the wheel.

I do this everyday at work, one of the simplest things to do, except you can't do it without the machine, as far as I know.

If you check your current wheels, you should see some weights either around the rim, or stuck on the inside of the wheel.
so if they didn't balance it when i got the wheels put on the tires, how would they balance it now if i need to get em balanced?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

The 17in wheels

What's summertime got to do with it? lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #12
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
so if they didn't balance it when i got the wheels put on the tires, how would they balance it now if i need to get em balanced?

Apparently my analogy didn't work...

V-tec, they just put it on the machine (wheel and tire) and spin it. If it needs to be balanced, they will add the appropriate weights as needed. Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #13
Mathew

Quote:

If they don't have any weights on them now, they need to be balanced. If you're taking the car somewhere to get the wheels put on the car, have them balance them first. You should have had it done when you got the tires mounted.

Oh, and tires get put on wheels, not what you keep saying.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Honestly, I would say no point. That is $600...a large chunk of money that can come very useful in the upcoming times. Also, not only does the average person not care about rims, but you already have rims to begin with and not stupid hubcaps like mine.

That being said, if you indeed REALLY want to do it, go ahead as they do look good and that price isnt bad for everything included.
They look better. Il give you my rims. Might look a bit silly, and you for 4 lugs, but well cut your car a bit.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #15
Mathew

Do be honest with you, I think its too much wheel for your car. It won't look right.

Then again, these might look good: