Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
magus57
CF Newbie

Question What car should I get?

Right now I'm saving money for a car (I'm 15 and I have 2 jobs) and I want to get something along the lines of Porsche 968 (or maybe a 944 or even 928, the newer the better) or a Boss 451 (or 302, 351, Mustang II, or Mach 1). I'm looking for a 2-seater (can be more, but preferrably just 2) car with power (or that just looks cool, wierd, is small, or rare) that can be bought (at all) under $5000. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I could probably go a bit over $5000 (like around $7500), but not too much over. Thanks in advance.
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57
Right now I'm saving money for a car (I'm 15 and I have 2 jobs) and I want to get something along the lines of Porsche 968 (or maybe a 944 or even 928, the newer the better) or a Boss 451 (or 302, 351, Mustang II, or Mach 1). I'm looking for a 2-seater (can be more, but preferrably just 2) car with power (or that just looks cool, wierd, is small, or rare) that can be bought (at all) under $5000. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I could probably go a bit over $5000 (like around $7500), but not too much over. Thanks in advance.
Dont get ANY of those as your first car.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Dont get ANY of those as your first car.
yea i bet the insurance would be insane on any of those for a 16year old kid that just got his license....

Tech_N9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
magus57
CF Newbie

Money/insurance/repairs/etc. is not an issue here (my GPA is 4.3 so I'll probably get a discount anyway along with my parents); all I'm asking is cars that are similar to the ones I said or cars like I described.

I would also like to update by saying 1-seater cars would be fine too (although I dont think there are any under $7500 EVER).
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

The other reason to not get one is because you'll wrap it around a tree, and you're screwed. If you want something that looks fast, then get like a Tiburon or something
Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Money/insurance/repairs/etc. is not an issue here (my GPA is 4.3 so I'll probably get a discount anyway along with my parents); all I'm asking is cars that are similar to the ones I said or cars like I described.

I would also like to update by saying 1-seater cars would be fine too (although I dont think there are any under $7500 EVER).
Doesnt matter. With little-no driving experience, its very likely you will total or damage the car at least a little. Stay away from expensive cars first, and then go for the big stuff.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

The good grade cut with most insurance companies usually amounts to nothing really. Some places offer 5% cuts, some up to 15%. Nothing major. BTW - there is no such thing as a 4.3 GPA, best is a 4.0 GPA (this is what colleges accept).

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0

I'm assuming the reason you have over a 4.0 is because your high school awards a 5 for over a 100 in a class or gives you a grade point up (or adds 10 points) if you take an AP class.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
The good grade cut with most insurance companies usually amounts to nothing really. Some places offer 5% cuts, some up to 15%. Nothing major. BTW - there is no such thing as a 4.3 GPA, best is a 4.0 GPA (this is what colleges accept).

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0

I'm assuming the reason you have over a 4.0 is because your high school awards a 5 for over a 100 in a class or gives you a grade point up (or adds 10 points) if you take an AP class.

AP classes you can get up to a 5.0. Schools will recognize a grade higher than 4.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
AP classes you can get up to a 5.0. Schools will recognize a grade higher than 4.
i was just going to say somthing about AP classes too, my sis graduated with a 4.2....

Tech_N9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #10
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1
F = 0

AP, IB and college courses are all recognized on the 5.0 sclae, at least in cali. so a 4.3 is very possible.

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:

don't listen to those guys if you worked for the money and want to spend it go for it.
You should check out miatas.
also if you like mustangs a maverick, javelin might do you well.
Posche shoudl be avoided because of cost of repair but if you find one in good running shape you should be fine
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
don't listen to those guys if you worked for the money and want to spend it go for it.
You should check out miatas.
also if you like mustangs a maverick, javelin might do you well.
Posche shoudl be avoided because of cost of repair but if you find one in good running shape you should be fine
Nobody said to get a cheaper car, and if they did it's only because we'd rather he doesn't fcuk up a good car. Rather get a car with less power/cheaper to insure...How about a Celica?...Those are beautiful, and yet not too fast. Maybe when he gets older, and learns how to drive a bit more, he can get a more powerful car...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #13
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Nobody said to get a cheaper car, and if they did it's only because we'd rather he doesn't fcuk up a good car.

This was the first thing that popped into my head...those are some nice cars you listed and if you can find a good one for the price that you listed good luck. It just really sucks to see nice cars that cant be replaced go down.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

People are saying insurance is to expensive, but if you get the cheapest stuff your just insuring in case you hit someone else. But once you get in the 5000+ range your dumb not to insure the car.
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

is it the younger you are the more the insurance. Or is it about the same rates if your under the age of 25. My advise with the insurance is join your parents plan and have them put the car under the cheapest name that way it won't cost so much.