Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
noseeds
CF Newbie

New starter?

I am having a problem with the starter on my car. I drive a 94 cavaler 3.1 L . I sometimes have a problem where when I try to start the car I get a clicking sound, just once. I keep retrying the ignition and it soon starts. This happens when the car is cold. Do I need a new starter? Is there a solenoid on the started i can change? thanks .
noseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Changing in the solenoid on the starter is difficult and can be a costly job. it is usually better to just change the entire starter out and is a bit easier. it clicks only once when the car is cold? or have you tried keep turning the key and you keep hearing the clicking sound?

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
3N61N35
CF Newbie

What type of clicking sound? This could even be the coil if it is a certain type of clicking. This is probably not so since it just happens at start-up.
Is it only when it starts? It happens only when you start it when it is cold?
3N61N35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
noseeds
CF Newbie

Sorry, the problem doesn't only happen when its cold, but when its cold, it will happen more. I mean that when the car is warmed up I don't usually have that problem. Would you recommend I change the starter myself? I think I can do it, althought I never have before. A mechanic would charge too much.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseeds
Sorry, the problem doesn't only happen when its cold, but when its cold, it will happen more. I mean that when the car is warmed up I don't usually have that problem. Would you recommend I change the starter myself? I think I can do it, althought I never have before. A mechanic would charge too much.
I've never known it to happen more when cold, but usually on a random basis. Chances are it is your starter motor at fault though!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-07-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Check your electrical cable lugs at the battery (-ve and +ve) and at the starter for corrosion and tightness. Check your chassis straps too
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
noseeds
CF Newbie

I just had a problem the other day. I started my car and the starter kept running. After I turned the car off the starter was still running. I had to unplug the battery to get it to turn off. I plugged the battery back in a few days later and the starter was still running. I tapped the starter a few times with a wrench and it stopped running. I was then able to start the car normally. I am thinking there is some relay that is sticking, and keeping the starter in the on position, or keeping it from going into the on position sometimes. I am thinking that when its cold there is some gunk or grease in the relay that keeps the relay from switching. When its warmed up I dont have any problems. Should I clean the solenoid out with some electro cleaner? There is no ignition or starter relay part for this car. Is the relay occuring in the solenoid? Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
AutoPro
CF Newbie

just get a new starter from the store and fix it

simple