Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
shadowed
CF Newbie

good jap. car in 6-7K range?

Ok, so right now I drive a 1994 Integra RS with a 1995 stock motorswap. It's got a few mods (cold air intake, catbac, clutch), but i've been crying for some more power and a more reliable car (its had its run). ANd while i know I could invest in the engine I have (god knows the b18b1 is a great platform), I don't really want to put in 1500 bucks only to have one of the creeping problems blow up in my face (the body's got 220,000 mi...). So anyways, I've been dabbling in selling the car and picking up another Japanese car with the cash from the sell+ some of my cash.

So I'm putting my budget at anywhere from 6-7K range, up to 8k with a little bit of patience. I'm wondering what the best car to go with would be... I want more power, and something that is good stock that I could easily build on when more cash arrived. And most importantly, I need something reliable. After putting 1200 bucks of repairs into my car plus a full service tuneup that caught the problems, I am very weary of worn cars.

I've been thinking about a GSR, but I'm not having much luck finding a decent one down here (southern arizona)... all there is is a bunch of damn LS's. So any suggestions?
shadowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
elchango36
WWJCD

There's plenty of options, you just need to do us a favor provide a litle more detail on what it is you want out of your car (acceleration, top speed, handling, gas mileage, reliability, I4, V6, FWD, RWD, AWD, etc.)?

Last edited by elchango36 : 02-07-2006 at 08:20 AM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Help us help you, help US help YOU.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

aka asian import... racist
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed
Ok, so right now I drive a 1994 Integra RS with a 1995 stock motorswap. It's got a few mods (cold air intake, catbac, clutch), but i've been crying for some more power and a more reliable car (its had its run). ANd while i know I could invest in the engine I have (god knows the b18b1 is a great platform), I don't really want to put in 1500 bucks only to have one of the creeping problems blow up in my face (the body's got 220,000 mi...). So anyways, I've been dabbling in selling the car and picking up another Japanese car with the cash from the sell+ some of my cash.

So I'm putting my budget at anywhere from 6-7K range, up to 8k with a little bit of patience. I'm wondering what the best car to go with would be... I want more power, and something that is good stock that I could easily build on when more cash arrived. And most importantly, I need something reliable. After putting 1200 bucks of repairs into my car plus a full service tuneup that caught the problems, I am very weary of worn cars.

I've been thinking about a GSR, but I'm not having much luck finding a decent one down here (southern arizona)... all there is is a bunch of damn LS's. So any suggestions?

GSR is a good idea, but try and find a 1g GSX or AWD TSi.

If you're willing to buy American a 94-97 Camaro Z/28 is well within your budget.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

You might be able to pick up a base 3000gt for that much.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker

??? You could possibly find a VR-4 for that price range with some patience, much less the base model.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
GSR is a good idea, but try and find a 1g GSX or AWD TSi.

If you're willing to buy American a 94-97 Camaro Z/28 is well within your budget.

im with thunderbird on this one. a 1990-1994 tsi or gsx would be a good platform to start with. there are tons of upgrades out there and they are fast to begin with.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
ShaolinSniper
CF Newbie

Nissan 300zx
Mitsubishi 3000GT
Old 02-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker

Um, he said a sports car, with performance in mind.

Not a heavy FWD grand tourer.

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
3geclipse13087
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
im with thunderbird on this one. a 1990-1994 tsi or gsx would be a good platform to start with. there are tons of upgrades out there and they are fast to begin with.

First Gens come with the 6 bolt, so the last longer then the 2nd gen, but for 6 grand i would find a 2g GS and buy a 4g63 6 bolt of the internet and swap it in... then you get the sexy 2g body style, with a fairly new motor that will last 200k miles.... and its FWD so you can hand the AWD their ass on the highway....stock.... plus you get the cheap GS insurance,... all about what you want....
handling - gsx(tsi)
bottom end - gsx
top end -gst
gas mileage - HONDA LoL
3geclipse13087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Um, he said a sports car, with performance in mind.

Not a heavy FWD grand tourer.

umm, define sport buddy. Fast, get up and go? 3kgt beats all of the cars you mentioned. And wth does fwd have to do with it? 1g GSR is fwd? just no, geeze

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #13
shadowedII
CF Newbie

Ok, sorry I couldn't respond earlier... it seems that my first SN didn't want to work (wouldn't let me sign in at all!). So i made another.

I hate to come off like a litle elitist, but neither the GSX or the Tsi would suit me. I've never been a fan of either of the two, and I really just have a special place in my heart for how much I dislike Eclipses (mainly because there are probably thousands where I live, so I can't go a block without seeing one).

I have been seriously considering and leaning towards the 3kgt or the 300zx... The main problem still posed is that I can't really stumble accross decent ones down here. I mean, I could go up to Phoenix to look, but it starts to become a hassle. But ya, the 3kgt has sparked a lot of interest over the past few days.

Bbasically I want a reasonably fast car (a noticable improvement over my Integra anyways) that looks good, gets a decent gas mileage (I would sacrifice that with the GT though...), wont cost me a bundle, and will run well provided I take care of it. I've had my fill of repairs with this damn integra, though I know that most of them will run forever.

Since the Integra is a FWD, i'm not going to be extremely picky on what drive, though everyone likes an AWD... heheheh.

So I guess I wan't an all-around car. I haven't done too much research into the 300zx and the 3K gt, but I know that they're beasts when used right.

And also, theres always the problem of actually finding the car you want after decided on the type of car you want... Any suggestions on buying a good used car for the right price and such? I kind of took a plunge with my integra and have a love hate relationship going with it. Especially when I have an impecable engine (70K JDM) in a car with enough miles to have driven around the planet ten times.

The last thing that i'd like to ask for some help with is also of course... selling a car thats been modded such as mine. Newer engine, older car (in terms of miles), slightly more basic mods, etc... I don't really know exacly how to market it if I end up going with autotrader if no personal opportunities come through.

Can anyone tell me some more about the 3kgt? Finding a Vr-4 for under 8g's seems like it'd be an almost inmpossible task, at least around here. But how is the SL versus the vr-4 and how much 'down-the-line' work would I need to get it to compare to a vr-4. Remember, i'm still learning about this stuff! I didn't know jack **** about cars 6 months ago. lol.

Last edited by shadowedII : 02-08-2006 at 08:40 AM.
shadowedII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
umm, define sport buddy. Fast, get up and go? 3kgt beats all of the cars you mentioned. And wth does fwd have to do with it? 1g GSR is fwd? just no, geeze

You're kidding right?

Sports cars are defined more-so by handling, not how fast they are in a straight line or what their top speed is.

You must be stupid to think a 3400lb FWD 3000GT with a gutless V6 could beat a 2600lb 170hp GSR or 275hp 3300-3400lb RWD Camaro. Even the Camaro handles noticeably better, and the GSR is a light-year ahead in handling. The FWD 3000GT is NOT a sports car, nor a fast car. It's a HEAVY Grand Touring car. No one actually races FWD 3000GTs in the SCCA that I even know of, heck, I cant ever recollect seeing a VR4 they weigh so damned much (3800lbs) and handle so slopily.

What's so funny is the 3000GT SL (the heaviest FWD 3kgt) is FWD with an N/A V6 and it STILL weighs about the same as a RWD Camaro with an iron block LT1 V8. Ouch!

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 02-08-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowedII
Ok, sorry I couldn't respond earlier... it seems that my first SN didn't want to work (wouldn't let me sign in at all!). So i made another.

I hate to come off like a litle elitist, but neither the GSX or the Tsi would suit me. I've never been a fan of either of the two, and I really just have a special place in my heart for how much I dislike Eclipses (mainly because there are probably thousands where I live, so I can't go a block without seeing one).

I have been seriously considering and leaning towards the 3kgt or the 300zx... The main problem still posed is that I can't really stumble accross decent ones down here. I mean, I could go up to Phoenix to look, but it starts to become a hassle. But ya, the 3kgt has sparked a lot of interest over the past few days.

Bbasically I want a reasonably fast car (a noticable improvement over my Integra anyways) that looks good, gets a decent gas mileage (I would sacrifice that with the GT though...), wont cost me a bundle, and will run well provided I take care of it. I've had my fill of repairs with this damn integra, though I know that most of them will run forever.

Since the Integra is a FWD, i'm not going to be extremely picky on what drive, though everyone likes an AWD... heheheh.

So I guess I wan't an all-around car. I haven't done too much research into the 300zx and the 3K gt, but I know that they're beasts when used right.

And also, theres always the problem of actually finding the car you want after decided on the type of car you want... Any suggestions on buying a good used car for the right price and such? I kind of took a plunge with my integra and have a love hate relationship going with it. Especially when I have an impecable engine (70K JDM) in a car with enough miles to have driven around the planet ten times.

The last thing that i'd like to ask for some help with is also of course... selling a car thats been modded such as mine. Newer engine, older car (in terms of miles), slightly more basic mods, etc... I don't really know exacly how to market it if I end up going with autotrader if no personal opportunities come through.

Can anyone tell me some more about the 3kgt? Finding a Vr-4 for under 8g's seems like it'd be an almost inmpossible task, at least around here. But how is the SL versus the vr-4 and how much 'down-the-line' work would I need to get it to compare to a vr-4. Remember, i'm still learning about this stuff! I didn't know jack **** about cars 6 months ago. lol.

You want to be looking at the RWD 300zx over the FWD 3000gt definatley if you are wanting more performance. The 3000GT is aimed towards the NON-sport car buyers who want a solid car that's decently enough quick but dont give a shit how it handles. The 3000GT is a friggin boat for a FWD (3400lbs for the SL) coupe. The 300ZX N/A actually weighs a little bit less and handles noticeably better (go figure, the lighter RWD car handles better). They both have the same size V6 with about the same power (220hp). Dont even bother trying to find a VR4 for under $8k. If you do it's going to be a 1g VR4 which means it will probably have high mileage which means you probably will be replacing axles (the 28 spline axles in the 1g VR4 are really weak, had 31 spline axles in the 2g). Turning a SL into a VR4 is a waste of time and money. You could just buy a VR4 for a lot less, but again, this is out of your budget, and if you have enough money for a VR4, you SHOULD be looking at a 300ZXTT over that (much better performing car).

Dont forget about the GSR though, it will easily hold its own. I'm 100% sure a GSR would beat up on a 3000GT SL around a road course and it would easily hang with the 300zx N/A. Plus the GSR has useable rear seats.

~Blow your mind~