Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
Sorry but the Talon TSI/Eclipse GSX doesnt really do much for me looks wise. I'm a pretty big GTI fan but what does a short throw shifter package involve?? Like do you just replace the linkage or what??
I believe its just the shifter itself. However, due to the decrease of the disctance to the fulcrum, shifts will b e a bit harder, so you best get that right arm nice and strong.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:30 AM   #17
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
i like the GTI a lot... i wouldn't mind having that car. I dunno how much the
r32 or r33 ( forgot which it is) costs but if you can get ur hands on that get it... umm i do think the z28 is nice but i agree too fast. How about like a
240sx ??
GTI gets my vote
it's an r32, and last i checked, they were going for like $26k and up. a bit more then $12k.

i personally dont see a wrx going for $12k... nor an rsx-s...

and as far as the gti, for 12k you'll probably only be able to find the 150hp version, and not the 180hp version of more recent years. no worries, caus $500 on a ecu upgrade should give you a fair boost in power.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #18
Shift4
CF Newbie

Yeah, my parents are paying for insurance (thank GOD! I always thought I would have to but they realized that its just too expensive for me to afford) and I have quite a bit saved up. Plus, my parents will probably add some cash to what I have for a first car. Actually, my grandparents might help me out too - never even thought of that!

So would it be really difficult to get a GTI to a short throw shifter?? Also, I feel pretty confident that I could find an 02 and up GTI for 12 or under while the WRX and RSX-S would be harder. I would maybe try and find one with a rebuilt title.
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

why are you so much set on getting a short throw shifter?
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
Shift4
CF Newbie

I dont know, its just a lot sportier. Also, the clutch isnt that good on the GTI. . . Maybe I should be looking at something else instead. . . . . The GTI seems to be like a car for older people and less for kids (by older I mean like 25-30 and up) because I want a car with a good suspension for like the track and turns while the GTI is kind of a granny suspension (even the guy at the dealer told me this). Maybe a MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Protege?? Isnt that like 7-7.5 0-60??

Also, I'm having a bet with my dad, Isnt the insurance on the GTI cheap because even though its pretty fast and turbo, its not classified as a sports car? It goes under golf so its cheaper - am I correct? Who here has a GTI and can attest to the insurance??
Old 02-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #21
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I dont know, its just a lot sportier. Also, the clutch isnt that good on the GTI. . . Maybe I should be looking at something else instead. . . . . The GTI seems to be like a car for older people and less for kids (by older I mean like 25-30 and up) because I want a car with a good suspension for like the track and turns while the GTI is kind of a granny suspension (even the guy at the dealer told me this). Maybe a MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Protege?? Isnt that like 7-7.5 0-60??

Also, I'm having a bet with my dad, Isnt the insurance on the GTI cheap because even though its pretty fast and turbo, its not classified as a sports car? It goes under golf so its cheaper - am I correct? Who here has a GTI and can attest to the insurance??
Get a Jetta V6 GLI
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #22
bebopin64
CF Enthusiast

300zx mzn they look killer, dont know how they drive though.
bebopin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:32 AM   #23
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Yeah, my parents are paying for insurance (thank GOD! I always thought I would have to but they realized that its just too expensive for me to afford) and I have quite a bit saved up. Plus, my parents will probably add some cash to what I have for a first car. Actually, my grandparents might help me out too - never even thought of that!

So would it be really difficult to get a GTI to a short throw shifter?? Also, I feel pretty confident that I could find an 02 and up GTI for 12 or under while the WRX and RSX-S would be harder. I would maybe try and find one with a rebuilt title.

Actually, you can afford insurance and a car too! Your first car doesn't have to be $12,000. $5,000 works with plenty to spare...
Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #24
bebopin64
CF Enthusiast

what would be cool is if you bought an ~80k mileage 300zx for 4-5k then spend the rest tricking it completely out. it would have to be n/a though, if you mind.
bebopin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #25
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Actually, you can afford insurance and a car too! Your first car doesn't have to be $12,000. $5,000 works with plenty to spare...
THANK YOU

Just like he said, I'm pretty sure you could afford insurance, you would just have to settle for something else. The rule in my house was, you can't have a car untill you could pay for gas and insurance (plus the car). I'll be enforcing this same rule when I have kids.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
Shift4
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
THANK YOU

Just like he said, I'm pretty sure you could afford insurance, you would just have to settle for something else. The rule in my house was, you can't have a car untill you could pay for gas and insurance (plus the car). I'll be enforcing this same rule when I have kids.

Yeah but times have really changed. Its like 5 thousand a year for insurance now. Unless I'm missing something here.

I really like 300zx's as well and forgot to put them on the list but dont they get really bad mileage? How are they though? RWD??
Old 02-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
vlc92189
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
People with money like that piss me off unless you earned it through honest work
who cares if he has the money then thats good for him. no reason to hate on him.
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #28
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc92189
who cares if he has the money then thats good for him. no reason to hate on him.

I agree,

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #29
CobaltSS
CF Newbie

well if you want a solid engine platform (and plasitc bumbers) i would recommend the saturn ion redline. you could find an '04 for ~14k its the same exact thing as a cobalt SS only cheaper because its saturn. which would be nice on your insurance. anyways thought i would suggest.

go to www.redlineforums.com poke around you might like.. who knows

Last edited by CobaltSS : 02-10-2006 at 07:42 PM.
CobaltSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #30
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Yeah but times have really changed. Its like 5 thousand a year for insurance now. Unless I'm missing something here.
Yup,your missing a huge thing, it's called, "What are you insuring??"
Of course insurance is gonna be in the +5,000 for a newer sport car and a 16 y.o. driver. When I was 16 (not too long ago), I had 88 nissan sentra which btw never let me down, and I ended up paying 200 a month for the first year, and 150 the second year. I'll be 21 this November, I pay 100 a month for insurance on my Civic that's registered under my name. Seriously, get yourself a little beater for a while, then when you go off to college (with some more driving experience under your belt) and you get a job, get your sports car.