Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #31
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Yup,your missing a huge thing, it's called, "What are you insuring??"
Of course insurance is gonna be in the +5,000 for a newer sport car and a 16 y.o. driver. When I was 16 (not too long ago), I had 88 nissan sentra which btw never let me down, and I ended up paying 200 a month for the first year, and 150 the second year. I'll be 21 this November, I pay 100 a month for insurance on my Civic that's registered under my name. Seriously, get yourself a little beater for a while, then when you go off to college (with some more driving experience under your belt) and you get a job, get your sports car.

Man that sucks I am on my own policy totally and I pay 150 a month for my Mustang.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #32
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Man that sucks I am on my own policy totally and I pay 150 a month for my Mustang.
I pay 160
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #33
vlc92189
CF Newbie

get the type s next week i think.. but when i was gona get insured for a 95 civic hatch it was like 550 every 6 months.. i am a 16 year old driver.. ( under dads insurance, andd 45 years without a accident or ticket so maybe thats why.
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #34
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Yup,your missing a huge thing, it's called, "What are you insuring??"
Of course insurance is gonna be in the +5,000 for a newer sport car and a 16 y.o. driver. When I was 16 (not too long ago), I had 88 nissan sentra which btw never let me down, and I ended up paying 200 a month for the first year, and 150 the second year. I'll be 21 this November, I pay 100 a month for insurance on my Civic that's registered under my name. Seriously, get yourself a little beater for a while, then when you go off to college (with some more driving experience under your belt) and you get a job, get your sports car.
Insurance won't be over 5K. When I just turned 17 I bought my Camaro. I had it on my own plan, full coverage. The car was valued around 20K. Insurance would have been under 4k a year if I had kept it on the road all year.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #35
dhunterp
CF Newbie

Last edited by dhunterp : 06-05-2007 at 09:36 PM.
dhunterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #36
Shift4
CF Newbie

Ok, here's the dealio. I've been dogsitting and saving all of my birthday money and christmas money since I was 10 or 11. This all adds up.

Seeing as how all of you guys are only paying like under 2000 a year on insurance, how the heck do u do that?? I have priced it and for a new plan with like an S-10 its about 4000 a year with all of the absolute lowest coverage.

Also, dhunterp, how is the Protege not fast? isnt it like 0-60 in 6.5-7?
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:49 AM   #37
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
Ok, here's the dealio. I've been dogsitting and saving all of my birthday money and christmas money since I was 10 or 11. This all adds up.

Seeing as how all of you guys are only paying like under 2000 a year on insurance, how the heck do u do that?? I have priced it and for a new plan with like an S-10 its about 4000 a year with all of the absolute lowest coverage.

For some reason, I want to doubt that since you were 10 you haven't spent a penny from your birthday/Christmas money...and even then, it wouldn't add up to over 6 grand...

You'e going to be a 16 year old guy...insurance is like that for eveyonre...
Old 02-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #38
Shift4
CF Newbie

wow chris, gonna try and be an ass and tell me how much I work, how much I get for birthdays and christmas, and how much I do or do not spend? I dont spend hardly any money but DO spend SOME. Not much however as I have always (since the time I started working) wanted a really nice first car. It HAS added up to over 6 grand and I made at least 3 of it Dogsitting, most likely 4 or more

To everyone else who isnt going to be an ass, what do you think? Again, I'm not just an idiotic kid that wants to have "da bombz awzum f4st car" - I've been saving up to have a nice fast first car forever and I want to have one
Old 02-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #39
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
wow chris, gonna try and be an ass and tell me how much I work, how much I get for birthdays and christmas, and how much I do or do not spend? I dont spend hardly any money but DO spend SOME. Not much however as I have always (since the time I started working) wanted a really nice first car. It HAS added up to over 6 grand and I made at least 3 of it Dogsitting, most likely 4 or more

To everyone else who isnt going to be an ass, what do you think? Again, I'm not just an idiotic kid that wants to have "da bombz awzum f4st car" - I've been saving up to have a nice fast first car forever and I want to have one
I wasn't trying to be an ass, but I was just surpised that you were planning on getting a car for since you were 10...I was planning on having my parents buy me a new car, when I was 10 lol. It's not impossible that you saved it up, just unlikely...I believe you though that you do have the money...

I'd suggest a 2002 WRX...a good bit of power, with some ability to upgrade, and it could last forever with proper maintenance...
Old 02-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #40
johnny mac
Banned

everybodys first car should be a big old battletank pos...

the starship intercourse

Johnny Mac
janitor@my67.net
johnny mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 AM   #41
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

well why not put insurance on parents name and pay less... thats what i did, and i pay 800 a year ( 400 for 6 months) for an 96 Intgera. BTw i am 16 and it's liability only....
Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 AM   #42
Shift4
CF Newbie

Yeah, I was already planning on putting it on my parents account but I still thought that it would be WAAYYYYYY more than that.

But guys, this is really getting off topic, I want suggestions of CARS. Moderately fast cars that are reliable, cheap and good looking. (with good gas mileage to boot) - I need your input here

Let me add that as of now I'm also looking at:

02-03 Subaru WRX
Scion tC (is it too slow??)
300ZX
Honda Prelude
Acura Integra

Last edited by Shift4 : 02-11-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #43
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
For some reason, I want to doubt that since you were 10 you haven't spent a penny from your birthday/Christmas money...and even then, it wouldn't add up to over 6 grand...

You'e going to be a 16 year old guy...insurance is like that for eveyonre...

Really Chris? Eventhough there are numerous 16 and 17 yers olds who jsut psoted their vehicles and prices and they were way below 4k? Lol come on now I know you can read. As for You doubting that I don't. I knwo my one friend did almost the same thing. About 12 or so just started mowing lawns summer shoveling driveways, ANYTHING to make money, before he even had a JOB at the age of 15 he had 7k saved up and he bought his first car- 1987 mustang GT convertible identical to mine even down to the pinstripe. 6500 it set him back... with 40k ORIGINAL miles 5 speed everything perfect, next he got a job obviously and license then realized he wanted a faster car, traded his mustang in on a corvette, wrecked the corvette and bought his 98 Mustang cobra which he has now sitting next to hsi 93 Mustang GT 600HP beast. and He JUST turned 18, senior in high school parents never paid for a cent of gas or insurance.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #44
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Really Chris? Eventhough there are numerous 16 and 17 yers olds who jsut psoted their vehicles and prices and they were way below 4k? Lol come on now I know you can read. As for You doubting that I don't. I knwo my one friend did almost the same thing. About 12 or so just started mowing lawns summer shoveling driveways, ANYTHING to make money, before he even had a JOB at the age of 15 he had 7k saved up and he bought his first car- 1987 mustang GT convertible identical to mine even down to the pinstripe. 6500 it set him back... with 40k ORIGINAL miles 5 speed everything perfect, next he got a job obviously and license then realized he wanted a faster car, traded his mustang in on a corvette, wrecked the corvette and bought his 98 Mustang cobra which he has now sitting next to hsi 93 Mustang GT 600HP beast. and He JUST turned 18, senior in high school parents never paid for a cent of gas or insurance.
I didn't say it was impossible though, just doubtful, and higly uncommon...I would have done that, but then stuff kept coming up
Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #45
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:

Sounds just like me. Saved up when I was a kid (what do kids have to spend $ on anyway?), and got a real job as soon as I could.

As far as a Protege being fast, everyone has their own opinion of fast. Usually it tends to be that if it's as fast as the fastest car they've owned, then they consider it fast. If it's not, then it's slow. From your new list, I like the Prelude or WRX.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote