Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #91
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
So what about the VW GTI, Mazdaspeed protege, Chevy Camaro Z28/SS, S-10 Xtreme, Scion TC?

Hows the GTI? How hard is it to make it short throw as opposed to long throw? I'd probably be better off spending just 8-10k on a Z28 and be done with it. A fast car that looks awesome, sounds awesome, and is, obviously, fast.

You dont have to spend that much on a Z/28. You can find plenty of Z/28's for under $6000. I found four under $6k in my area.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #92
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Then to go airsoft forums and ask there. This is a public forum, not one where you pay to be a member, so its generally open to chatting. The section is even called General Discussions. Dont get your panties in a bunch. We gave you answers, did you take the time to read them? Or just ignored what you dindt want to hear?
I can't believe I'm about to say this but...
Just about everyone including myself have given you worthy suggestions. However it is you who doesn't bother reading them, or like (still can't beleive I'm saying this) Newyorker said, "You just ignored what you didn't want to hear!"

Seeing as how my advice is irrelevant and unimportant to you, I'm goign to stop viewing this thread completely. Wrap your NEW FAST SPORTS CAR around a tree for all I care, just please don't kill anybody else in the process.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #93
Shift4
CF Newbie

dude, sorry man, i was just in a bad mood and was being too demanding. my bad. You did give plenty of good information and I read EVERY post and took it into consideration (actually, I am very easily swayed so as soon as someone mentions a car, I start looking it up - I AM taking your advice) just I was getting discouraged by how a lot of off topic random posts came into play but they were actually all pretty well founded so I'm sorry!

Actually, as someone suggested, I took a loook at the Ion Redline and it looks good - pretty fast, but I heard that the Rev Limiter is set too low and it has all kinds of bugs and stuff. . .

Last edited by Shift4 : 02-15-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:51 AM   #94
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You dont have to spend that much on a Z/28. You can find plenty of Z/28's for under $6000. I found four under $6k in my area.
I assume for 8-10K he's talking LS1 Z/28s. I don't think you could get one of those for 6K unless it had a lot of damage.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #95
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I assume for 8-10K he's talking LS1 Z/28s. I don't think you could get one of those for 6K unless it had a lot of damage.

And I know he could get the LS1 Camaro, I was just saying to get a GOOD Camaro, he could spend a bit less and get an LT1. IMO I'd rather save $3k-$4k and get a LT1 Camaro and spend the cash left over on a turbo setup. Then the LT1 would really own the LS1.

Like the PTK Street kit for the LT1, $3899...
http://www.forcedinductions.com/GMkits2.htm

or

The STS kit for $3999
http://www.ststurbo.com/lt1_camaro_dyno

Hmm, nearly bolt on that much power? I'll take it.

At only 7psi (very safe) the STS kit took a 274rwhp/303rwtq LT1 to 394rwhp/449rwtq. That's already a monster....but they took it to 12psi and got this...

http://www.ststurbo.com/lt1_12_psi_dyno

That's 598rwhp and 637rwtq.

God how I do love turbochargers.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 02-16-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #96
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
dude, sorry man, i was just in a bad mood and was being too demanding. my bad. You did give plenty of good information and I read EVERY post and took it into consideration (actually, I am very easily swayed so as soon as someone mentions a car, I start looking it up - I AM taking your advice) just I was getting discouraged by how a lot of off topic random posts came into play but they were actually all pretty well founded so I'm sorry!

Actually, as someone suggested, I took a loook at the Ion Redline and it looks good - pretty fast, but I heard that the Rev Limiter is set too low and it has all kinds of bugs and stuff. . .
Not only that, but I sat in a redline at the auto show. Cheap interior, guages in the middle (blah), and I believe it has a 120 top speed. For the price of it, you can get the 230 horsepower 250 torque srt-4. And the srt-4 has a 160 top speed with a 157 limiter I believe
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 AM   #97
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Not only that, but I sat in a redline at the auto show. Cheap interior, guages in the middle (blah), and I believe it has a 120 top speed. For the price of it, you can get the 230 horsepower 250 torque srt-4. And the srt-4 has a 160 top speed with a 157 limiter I believe

They are still making the Neon SRT4? I thought they ceased production temporarily until the 07 Caliber comes out and replaces all Neons, and the Caliber SRT4 wil lreplace the Neon SRT4.

BTW - Even if the Redline has a top speed of 120mph, why would that be a limiting factor? Where are you going to go over 120mph?

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #98
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
They are still making the Neon SRT4? I thought they ceased production temporarily until the 07 Caliber comes out and replaces all Neons, and the Caliber SRT4 wil lreplace the Neon SRT4.

BTW - Even if the Redline has a top speed of 120mph, why would that be a limiting factor? Where are you going to go over 120mph?
As of now, its done. There are 3 available years. 03 04 05. The 05 is the most powerful, but I heard that the 05 has a few things that make i a little more difficult to work with so the 04 is considered the best one. Their power differentiates by like 5-10 horsepower. Well what power is the redline pushing? Around 200? ess arr tee foure tops it.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #99
Shift4
CF Newbie

mmmmm, my favorite car, the SRT-4 . Uhhhh, these lame neons. . . If it was a Protege, i'd love it, but I just hate the lines of the Dodge Neon. . . I am really into just going with something fast though just to have it, not to speed all the time. I'd drive like fast off the line, but not really above the speed limit. As of now, I would really like a RWD car and V8 Muscle is sweet but not NECESSARY. I like the: Camaro Z28 LS1, Subaru WRX, VW GTI (even though FWD), Mazdaspeed Protegee (kinda too slow though), and I cant remember some others that I was recently looking at.

My new criteria is a 0-60 of under 7 seconds. That way you know exactly what kind of speed I'm looking for. Between like 5 and 7 (a large margin). Any (good looking) suggestions that meet this 0-60 time, lemme know. Also, I'm not ONLY looking at RWD and V8, but just a suggestion. . .
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #100
CobaltSS
CF Newbie

Quote:

Ummm, actually if you poke around the redline forums like i said the ion redline is the same exact drivetrain as the cobalt ss.. it was just the guinea pig and test platform for the more popular and marketed cobalt SS. the redline has a rev limiter just as high as the cobalt (6500rpms) and is capable of 140+ mph (drag limited)

bugs? well not so much, there are problems like any car, the only thing that i have repeatly seen on forums is the so called "limp mode" which is basically the cat getting clogged. that should be a recall by now anyways. all the SS/redline stock dyno charts i've seen posted have exceeded the quoted GM rating of 205 hp. and plus the GM stage kits are coming out end of this month. bigger injectors, ecu reflash, and smaller supercharger pulley..

Last edited by CobaltSS : 03-14-2006 at 02:13 AM.
CobaltSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #101
Vlad
CF Addict

Quote:
1. 97-01 Prelude
2. 95-01 Integra GSR
3. GTI ( unless it's VR6 then i dunno)

If u are going more for handling i would switch the order to Integra, GTI Prelude. (heavy) I have driven each one when looking for my car. I wanted the GTI but it was out of my price range since i was paying the full amount on the spot with cash of my own money.( 7k budget) I found a some preludes with like 90k miles on em for 7k but then insurance would be a strap for me and so would gas. So then i found my integra for $5600 all stock with 69k miles. I paid all insurance, pay my own gas, and still had money to buy new tires+wheels, and other visual upgrades. My advice to you would be to buy a car for maybe like 8k or 9k. If i would have 12k on car i think i would buy a GSR and do performance mods to it, if i would have to keep it completly stock then i would buy the GTI.

Test drive all the cars that you like and see which u like more.
Btw u might have trouble finding a WRX for 12k but if u can then get it....

Just gonna clarify a little here, for handling you do NOT switch the order. The prelude is defiantely not the worst handler out of the three. I know it is better than the integra (not the type R tho, has a LSD). Don't know too much about the GTI's handling, but am giving the edge towards the lude. In 97 (I think) it was named Best Handling Car under 30k by car and driver, with a miata coming in second I think. It is not a beast in a straight line, but is no slouch either. I might seem biased towards it, but hey, I have one .

Anyways, great car, looks own the GTI IMO. I would highly recomend it. The GSR is also good, parts more readily available than for the lude.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote