Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
boring a I4?

Often times when your common V8hot rods are discused you get Boring, honing, gear rations, and such.
But then the tuner car is discussed you get Cai and Nos.

My friend asked something along the lines the other day could he bore out his sunfires engine.
It got me thinking.
Is there something that stops you from adding displacment to 4 bangers, not worth the time? Too much work? not ricey enough?
__________________
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Often times when your common V8hot rods are discused you get Boring, honing, gear rations, and such.
But then the tuner car is discussed you get Cai and Nos.

My friend asked something along the lines the other day could he bore out his sunfires engine.
It got me thinking.
Is there something that stops you from adding displacment to 4 bangers, not worth the time? Too much work? not ricey enough?
It has been done, and can be done. Some people get their 1.8 civics bored to 2.0 but then tehre is a problem of new pistons, etc.etc. so I say its not worth the time and moeny unless you want to go all out on the engine. Port and polish works nice
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
It can be done, but an engine swap would probably be more financially beneficial...
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Stroker kit is another option too.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
It's def. worth it if your trying to go all motor.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Often times when your common V8hot rods are discused you get Boring, honing, gear rations, and such.
But then the tuner car is discussed you get Cai and Nos.

My friend asked something along the lines the other day could he bore out his sunfires engine.
It got me thinking.
Is there something that stops you from adding displacment to 4 bangers, not worth the time? Too much work? not ricey enough?
Regardless of what uneducated morons such as newyorker think, increasing the bore size or any other good old fashioned hotrod trick common on V8's, has been, is being and will continue to be done to four cylinder engines.

The reason you don't hear about it as much is due to the fact that the majority of the "sport compact" market is all about bolt ons, the shinier and more obvious the better. Boring and stroking is work intensive and if you don't know it's there, well you sure can't see it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Regardless of what uneducated morons such as newyorker think, increasing the bore size or any other good old fashioned hotrod trick common on V8's, has been, is being and will continue to be done to four cylinder engines.
The reason you don't hear about it as much is due to the fact that the majority of the "sport compact" market is all about bolt ons, the shinier and more obvious the better. Boring and stroking is work intensive and if you don't know it's there, well you sure can't see it.
I said it HAS been done, and CAN be done dickweed. I just said its not worth it unless youre going all out.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I said it HAS been done, and CAN be done dickweed. I just said its not worth it unless youre going all out.
No shit, and that's exactly why you're wrong. Have you ever noticed that every time you post your "thoughts", and I use that term loosely, you spend the rest of a thread tap dancing because you spoke about something you have no knowledge of? If you had half a brain, that'd tell you something. Like maybe you'll learn more by shutting up and listening then by yapping and displaying your vast supply of ignorance over and over, ad infinitum.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Many serious four banger guys destroke and bore out their motors to get more revs, and essentialy more power. Many turbo guys also bore out their four bangers.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
I'll start a thread about this for my truck so it doesn't interfere with a soon to come war
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
So it can be done.
Ok.
Ill have to try and look up some examples of it online somewhere.
Thanks for all the info guys.
How much does work like that cost though since I will probly be looking into that when I get my 351?
__________________
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No shit, and that's exactly why you're wrong. Have you ever noticed that every time you post your "thoughts", and I use that term loosely, you spend the rest of a thread tap dancing because you spoke about something you have no knowledge of? If you had half a brain, that'd tell you something. Like maybe you'll learn more by shutting up and listening then by yapping and displaying your vast supply of ignorance over and over, ad infinitum.
I notice instead of explaining anything, you just flame. Nice. Shows how much you know.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I notice instead of explaining anything, you just flame. Nice. Shows how much you know.
Read my first post in this thread again, jackass. I did explain it, you just can't get your head far enough out of your candy ass to read what others have to say. Give it up and go away.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Read my first post in this thread again, jackass. I did explain it, you just can't get your head far enough out of your candy ass to read what others have to say. Give it up and go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Regardless of what uneducated morons such as newyorker think, increasing the bore size or any other good old fashioned hotrod trick common on V8's, has been, is being and will continue to be done to four cylinder engines.

The reason you don't hear about it as much is due to the fact that the majority of the "sport compact" market is all about bolt ons, the shinier and more obvious the better. Boring and stroking is work intensive and if you don't know it's there, well you sure can't see it.
Hmm...looks like flaming to me. You said the same thing I did, with no in-depth explanation.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Hmm...looks like flaming to me. You said the same thing I did, with no in-depth explanation.
He didn't say the same thing as you did numbnuts. You said Boring wasn't worth it. Vwhobo said that bolt ons are preferred in the Sport compact tuning world becasue you could see them. You can';t really see internals can you?? Boring is worth it for noticeable power gains. Remember, there's no replacement for displacement.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.