Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict

boring a I4?

Often times when your common V8hot rods are discused you get Boring, honing, gear rations, and such.
But then the tuner car is discussed you get Cai and Nos.

My friend asked something along the lines the other day could he bore out his sunfires engine.
It got me thinking.
Is there something that stops you from adding displacment to 4 bangers, not worth the time? Too much work? not ricey enough?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Often times when your common V8hot rods are discused you get Boring, honing, gear rations, and such.

My friend asked something along the lines the other day could he bore out his sunfires engine.
It got me thinking.
Is there something that stops you from adding displacment to 4 bangers, not worth the time? Too much work? not ricey enough?
It has been done, and can be done. Some people get their 1.8 civics bored to 2.0 but then tehre is a problem of new pistons, etc.etc. so I say its not worth the time and moeny unless you want to go all out on the engine. Port and polish works nice
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It can be done, but an engine swap would probably be more financially beneficial...
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Stroker kit is another option too.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

It's def. worth it if your trying to go all motor.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor

It got me thinking.
Regardless of what uneducated morons such as newyorker think, increasing the bore size or any other good old fashioned hotrod trick common on V8's, has been, is being and will continue to be done to four cylinder engines.

The reason you don't hear about it as much is due to the fact that the majority of the "sport compact" market is all about bolt ons, the shinier and more obvious the better. Boring and stroking is work intensive and if you don't know it's there, well you sure can't see it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Regardless of what uneducated morons such as newyorker think, increasing the bore size or any other good old fashioned hotrod trick common on V8's, has been, is being and will continue to be done to four cylinder engines.
The reason you don't hear about it as much is due to the fact that the majority of the "sport compact" market is all about bolt ons, the shinier and more obvious the better. Boring and stroking is work intensive and if you don't know it's there, well you sure can't see it.
I said it HAS been done, and CAN be done dickweed. I just said its not worth it unless youre going all out.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I said it HAS been done, and CAN be done dickweed. I just said its not worth it unless youre going all out.
No shit, and that's exactly why you're wrong. Have you ever noticed that every time you post your "thoughts", and I use that term loosely, you spend the rest of a thread tap dancing because you spoke about something you have no knowledge of? If you had half a brain, that'd tell you something. Like maybe you'll learn more by shutting up and listening then by yapping and displaying your vast supply of ignorance over and over, ad infinitum.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Many serious four banger guys destroke and bore out their motors to get more revs, and essentialy more power. Many turbo guys also bore out their four bangers.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I'll start a thread about this for my truck so it doesn't interfere with a soon to come war
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Aondor
CF Addict

So it can be done.
Ok.
Ill have to try and look up some examples of it online somewhere.
Thanks for all the info guys.
How much does work like that cost though since I will probly be looking into that when I get my 351?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No shit, and that's exactly why you're wrong. Have you ever noticed that every time you post your "thoughts", and I use that term loosely, you spend the rest of a thread tap dancing because you spoke about something you have no knowledge of? If you had half a brain, that'd tell you something. Like maybe you'll learn more by shutting up and listening then by yapping and displaying your vast supply of ignorance over and over, ad infinitum.
I notice instead of explaining anything, you just flame. Nice. Shows how much you know.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I notice instead of explaining anything, you just flame. Nice. Shows how much you know.
Read my first post in this thread again, jackass. I did explain it, you just can't get your head far enough out of your candy ass to read what others have to say. Give it up and go away.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Read my first post in this thread again, jackass. I did explain it, you just can't get your head far enough out of your candy ass to read what others have to say. Give it up and go away.
Quote:

Hmm...looks like flaming to me. You said the same thing I did, with no in-depth explanation.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Hmm...looks like flaming to me. You said the same thing I did, with no in-depth explanation.
He didn't say the same thing as you did numbnuts. You said Boring wasn't worth it. Vwhobo said that bolt ons are preferred in the Sport compact tuning world becasue you could see them. You can';t really see internals can you?? Boring is worth it for noticeable power gains. Remember, there's no replacement for displacement.