Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Boring Question?

I was wondering if I bored out my 2.3 liter to a 2.5 liter (like on the newer Rangers 4 cylinders), if thats as much of a bore as I can go? Thunderbird also said something about destroking the motor to increase the revs (which is what I want to achieve), if I destroked her about .015 or .020 would this be sufficient to obtain a noticably higher RPM? Kinda confused over this.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I was wondering if I bored out my 2.3 liter to a 2.5 liter (like on the newer Rangers 4 cylinders), if thats as much of a bore as I can go? Thunderbird also said something about destroking the motor to increase the revs (which is what I want to achieve), if I destroked her about .015 or .020 would this be sufficient to obtain a noticably higher RPM? Kinda confused over this.
Thanks
No. The 2.3 was enlarged to 2.5 by increasing the stroke to 86.5mm. To get your 2.3 up to 2.5 using just an overbore, you'd have to go from a 96mm bore to a 100mm bore. The largest standard oversize pistons available are 97.5mm. If you attempted to bore the block out to 100mm, you would be into the water jackets. Don't work.

More importantly, why do you think you want more RPM? On the street you spend 99.9% of your time below 4k RPM. Increasing the redline would serve no useful purpose and would actually lower performance in the most important part of the rev range.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No. The 2.3 was enlarged to 2.5 by increasing the stroke to 86.5mm. To get your 2.3 up to 2.5 using just an overbore, you'd have to go from a 96mm bore to a 100mm bore. The largest standard oversize pistons available are 97.5mm. If you attempted to bore the block out to 100mm, you would be into the water jackets. Don't work.

More importantly, why do you think you want more RPM? On the street you spend 99.9% of your time below 4k RPM. Increasing the redline would serve no useful purpose and would actually lower performance in the most important part of the rev range.
So the smartest way to do it is increase the stroke? And I was lookin to get a couple hundred more RPM because I kind of have to floor her when I'm merging onto the highway to get up to speed and I sometimes have to redline her to get to the speed limit when theres that never ending line of cars in Tampa
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So the smartest way to do it is increase the stroke? And I was lookin to get a couple hundred more RPM because I kind of have to floor her when I'm merging onto the highway to get up to speed and I sometimes have to redline her to get to the speed limit when theres that never ending line of cars in Tampa
If you build the engine for more torque, you don't need to scream it to make power. Torque is and always has been king on the street, horsepower is just something that people who want to appear in the know talk about. Let's face it, a little 2.3 dragging around a 3000+ pound vehicle isn't going to set the world on fire without some major work. These folks can certainly help you spend some money and go faster.

The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do would be to off the truck and get one with a 4.0. If you don't have to have a Ranger but still want a truck, find a Dakota with a 5.2 and really haul ass.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
If you build the engine for more torque, you don't need to scream it to make power. Torque is and always has been king on the street, horsepower is just something that people who want to appear in the know talk about. Let's face it, a little 2.3 dragging around a 3000+ pound vehicle isn't going to set the world on fire without some major work. These folks can certainly help you spend some money and go faster.

The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do would be to off the truck and get one with a 4.0. If you don't have to have a Ranger but still want a truck, find a Dakota with a 5.2 and really haul ass.

But see I'm 15 and really have a nice first truck so I'm happy with it, I just want to get a little more torque and horsepower because at the wheels its probably only putting down 90-95hp I'd be satisfied if I got 105hp at the wheels and about 145 lb ft of torque at the wheels.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

good to see people my age know real world horsepower and torque figures\

but like vwhobo said, increasing stroke would do you worlds of good.

personally id only go for high-revving horsepower in a little car or something,

but since you have a truck, increasing stroke will make the engine feel stronger as long as you keep it below 3500-4500rpm

above that shouldnt feel too much different, but might not be good on your engine.

this is just what im pretty sure of, im 15 too and i could be completly wrong

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
good to see people my age know real world horsepower and torque figures\

but like vwhobo said, increasing stroke would do you worlds of good.

personally id only go for high-revving horsepower in a little car or something,

but since you have a truck, increasing stroke will make the engine feel stronger as long as you keep it below 3500-4500rpm

above that shouldnt feel too much different, but might not be good on your engine.

this is just what im pretty sure of, im 15 too and i could be completly wrong
Shit yea bro everyone my age I talk to are complete dumbasses thinking NAWZ is the best upgrade since sliced bread
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Shit yea bro everyone my age I talk to are complete dumbasses thinking NAWZ is the best upgrade since sliced bread
...Since when was sliced bread considered an upgrade?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
...Since when was sliced bread considered an upgrade?
Since the 50's dontcha know
Old 02-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #10
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Quote:
But see I'm 15 and really have a nice first truck so I'm happy with it, I just want to get a little more torque and horsepower because at the wheels its probably only putting down 90-95hp I'd be satisfied if I got 105hp at the wheels and about 145 lb ft of torque at the wheels.

Wait wait wait, am I missing something here? I remember when you posted the video of you driving your truck on the streets. And you are 15?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
Wait wait wait, am I missing something here? I remember when you posted the video of you driving your truck on the streets. And you are 15?
In Florida (Most of the US) you get your restricted (close to a G2 I think) at 15...lucky bastards jp
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
If you're only looking for about a 10% gain, think header, cat back, chip and cam. Those combined should get you near 20%. I don't know how much it would cost, but I bet $750 would be close and you could do all the work in one long afternoon.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

I'm too bleary eyed to inch my way through what has been posted, but I am getting the impression there is an advocacy for stroking that will provide better torque. I guess people think that a bigger crank pin (moment arm) results in more engine torque?

Well guys the thing you must design to is BMEP. BMEP is proportional to torque output and maximum usually sits a little under the peak volumetric efficiency. And what things affect BMEP? Well burning fuel over a longer stroke and developing peak cylinder pressure at the wrong time sure as hell isn't going to increase the mean value is it, no Siree Bob.

Given a reference RPM, if you have had experience with cam selection you will know that it's profile will have a marked influence on BMEP. And we all know what a dog an engine becomes at lower revs if you open up an exhaust in isolation, reducing VE and thus BMEP, MBT, etc, etc.

So truth is if you increase your displacement you ideally should burn more fuel, which increases the power. How that power is handled in the form of pressure in the pots, is how much torque can be produced at whatever RPM.

Last edited by Wally : 02-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
If you're only looking for about a 10% gain, think header, cat back, chip and cam. Those combined should get you near 20%. I don't know how much it would cost, but I bet $750 would be close and you could do all the work in one long afternoon.

Think throttle body too. Stock TBs are stranglers (and for good reason).
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 AM   #15
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Think throttle body too. Stock TBs are stranglers (and for good reason).

Whats a throtlle body?