Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

Electrics...

well, im finally over my minute fear of electricity. it took me 5 minutes just to have the courage to touch the battery with my bare hands instead of wearing rubber gloves (yea, its stupid, but i have always been afraid of the idea of dying by being stuck to a damn current).

anyhow, i spent all week helping out out my friend with his tiburon and his bike by putting some LED's on the bike (with a switch) and some damn electric tornado on the tiburon. i know i know, those damn tornado things dont work, but he wouldnt listen, so i decided to drop it and just help him.

anyhow, on to the point. many people opt for stronger batteries when they install sound systems into their cars (in this case, 700watt amp with a 15" sub), and other electrical devices. i told him that it would be way better to put switches for everything so the battery doesnt get a kick out of having to send so much power to all those extra devices when the car is turned on. instead, switches would make it all much easier and IMO, efficient.

so i got another idea.... if he ever puts neons as well, and some other krap, could we just make an extra fuse box (or something like it) to manage the extra stuff, or would that be overkill?

also, i heard that just to be on the safe side, it would be best to use a separate battery, opt for an even stronger altnernator, connect both batteries to it, and leave the 2nd battery for all the extra krap (like neons, the sound, etc.). is that really necessary, or is a single strong battery enough for the job?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Dp...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

When you add an extra battery for car audio purposes it's usually for REALLY watt intensive setups. 700 watts (im tihnking you mean max) is absolutely nothing. You could use any crap battery for that. You would be a little better off going with something with a higher rating (like a sears $60 battery in stead of the $40 battery) but you wouldnt need an Optima or anything. Upgrading the alternator is the best thing you can do to with car audio in the sense of increasing voltage to the amps (I've seen people try and use stock 55amp alts with big 1200-1500 RMS amps and it everytime the sub hits the whole entire car seems like it shuts off the electrical running parts and barely get 12v of power back to the amp, ideal is usually 13.8v, many competition guys want more around 14.4v if possible, hence dual alts and multiple batterys). Dont worry about adding a battery or even changing the alternator. The best electrical upgrade you can do that's cost effective in your case is the BIG 3 (google it and it will explain it in full detail).

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

thx man. one question though and sorry if it sounds stupid, but wat do u mean the BIG 3?

btw, the 700watts thing is on my friends car (the tiburon). as far as the supra goes..... i havent yet thought of wat i will do. but i did remove the back seats (im gonna try to invent something, ill explain later) and i plan on making an "easy to remove" box with maybe double 12"s on the sides, the amp on the trunk (since on my car its only about 4 inches away or so), and placing the battery maybe where the spare tire went.... havent thought about it much YET.

on the tiburon though, my friend went to Sam's and got a Tough One 900amp battery (i think that was it.....). hes moving the 700watt amp and a 15" sub. will he be fine? i think hes gonna get a set of neons later on.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
well, im finally over my minute fear of electricity. it took me 5 minutes just to have the courage to touch the battery with my bare hands instead of wearing rubber gloves (yea, its stupid, but i have always been afraid of the idea of dying by being stuck to a damn current).
LOL...I have a big problem with batteries. I will replace them etc, but I can just visualise it going BANG when I connect/disconnect the leads

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
LOL...I have a big problem with batteries. I will replace them etc, but I can just visualise it going BANG when I connect/disconnect the leads

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
thx man. one question though and sorry if it sounds stupid, but wat do u mean the BIG 3?

btw, the 700watts thing is on my friends car (the tiburon). as far as the supra goes..... i havent yet thought of wat i will do. but i did remove the back seats (im gonna try to invent something, ill explain later) and i plan on making an "easy to remove" box with maybe double 12"s on the sides, the amp on the trunk (since on my car its only about 4 inches away or so), and placing the battery maybe where the spare tire went.... havent thought about it much YET.

on the tiburon though, my friend went to Sam's and got a Tough One 900amp battery (i think that was it.....). hes moving the 700watt amp and a 15" sub. will he be fine? i think hes gonna get a set of neons later on.

He will be fine.

The Big 3 in detail is explained here...
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
He will be fine.

The Big 3 in detail is explained here...
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801
thanks man