Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Wrangler

OK to start I know this isnt the place for SUVs but the other forum has been down so Il just ask here. Here goes
Ive been a bit closed minded lately with the whole SRT-4 thing, and when I was at the auto show, I got into the wrangler for laughs and giggles as a joke, and believe it or not, I actually really liked it. The exterior is quite nice, and the interior is simple but functional. I like how you can remove the doors, roof and so on. It seems like a nice jeep, and I believe they are all 4x4 and most of them are manual trans (what i want), so I just wanted some opinions. Also how is the relibability. Ive been reading a bit, and heard from some that they go up to 200k and over with proper care. I would be interested in the 4 cylinder for fuel economy, since they only top at 100 anyway. They seem nice for just cruising, and good for all weather where the srt-4 in the snow, would pretty much be undrivable. Also since drving my moms RAV4, ive kinda liked being a bit higher from the ground, because I feel I have more control over the vehicle. What do you guys think? Also what kinda power do they push.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OK to start I know this isnt the place for SUVs but the other forum has been down so Il just ask here. Here goes
Ive been a bit closed minded lately with the whole SRT-4 thing, and when I was at the auto show, I got into the wrangler for laughs and giggles as a joke, and believe it or not, I actually really liked it. The exterior is quite nice, and the interior is simple but functional. I like how you can remove the doors, roof and so on. It seems like a nice jeep, and I believe they are all 4x4 and most of them are manual trans (what i want), so I just wanted some opinions. Also how is the relibability. Ive been reading a bit, and heard from some that they go up to 200k and over with proper care. I would be interested in the 4 cylinder for fuel economy, since they only top at 100 anyway. They seem nice for just cruising, and good for all weather where the srt-4 in the snow, would pretty much be undrivable. Also since drving my moms RAV4, ive kinda liked being a bit higher from the ground, because I feel I have more control over the vehicle. What do you guys think? Also what kinda power do they push.

I know the 4.0L I6 had problems galore for years (mostly oil leaking issues), but i heard they are putting in a new 3.8L for 2007. I've never driven a four banger model but I can imagine it would be pretty painfully slow for my tastes. The 4.0L I6 I drove (1994 model) was very aggrivating to drive because of the lack of power (180hp, 3100lbs) especially on the highway (thanks to 4wd).

The 2.4L they have now only puts out 147bhp and 165tq and the Wrangler weighs about 3200-3300lbs from what I remember. So it would be pretty frustrating to drive IMO. I would definatley try and pickup a newer I6 model with 200hp.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I know the 4.0L I6 had problems galore for years (mostly oil leaking issues), but i heard they are putting in a new 3.8L for 2007. I've never driven a four banger model but I can imagine it would be pretty painfully slow for my tastes. The 4.0L I6 I drove (1994 model) was very aggrivating to drive because of the lack of power (180hp, 3100lbs) especially on the highway (thanks to 4wd).

The 2.4L they have now only puts out 147bhp and 165tq and the Wrangler weighs about 3200-3300lbs from what I remember. So it would be pretty frustrating to drive IMO. I would definatley try and pickup a newer I6 model with 200hp.
But I mean is it nice for just driving around and not racing it or whatever? They are quite expensive

Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I may be wrong here, but I've always looked at Wranglers as kinda like the old Suzuki Vitara's......something for the beach, with strangely soft suspension lol. As I said, I might be wrong, but with this in mind....I'd say they'd be a nice mix between on-road and off-road vehicle, as any 'soft roader' tends to be....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
But I mean is it nice for just driving around and not racing it or whatever? They are quite expensive

I forgot you drive a Neon, should be slow enough for you

J/K

But really, It bothered me driving the I6 4wd on the highway, no top end. But that's to be expected. Even my 1990 Accord felt much quicker accelerating at highway speeds than the Wrangler I drove did (even with the Accord only having 125hp, guess it was the FWD instead of 4wd for top end).

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:

Brother, if you want to know what the true definition of aggrivation means, then drive a 2.3 liter Ranger and floor it
Old 02-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Brother, if you want to know what the true definition of aggrivation means, then drive a 2.3 liter Ranger and floor it

i got a better one. a 1988 ranger with a 2.0!!!!! talk about slow
Old 02-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra

I have driven a '77 Civic CVCC with 70hp, albeit it only weighed probably 2000lbs.

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
I have driven a '77 Civic CVCC with 70hp, albeit it only weighed probably 2000lbs.
take that same 70hp, add 765lbs, and you've got a toyota prius. that's probably the least fun car i've driven...
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
take that same 70hp, add 765lbs, and you've got a toyota prius. that's probably the least fun car i've driven...
Gets great milage tho. And has XENON

Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Gets great milage tho. And has XENON
and overpriced for it's class.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
What do you want...hybrid technology...

Old 02-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
You get to write it off on your taxes
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
What do you want...hybrid technology...
well... if they're "saving" you gas at the pump... they're just taking a larger chunk away from you at the dealership. (in the case of this, and other hybrid, cars)

chris_knows, how much of a tax deduction is it per year?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
well... if they're "saving" you gas at the pump... they're just taking a larger chunk away from you at the dealership. (in the case of this, and other hybrid, cars)

chris_knows, how much of a tax deduction is it per year?
Up to 2 Grand, but probably closer to one...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml