Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
E30 3 w/ LS1


Thought that was pretty neat...
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Saw that car before. Very slick conversion that retains the balance but addds gobs of power and torque AND daily driveability.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
My plans for my next car

Take one of these:



Then add one of these:





And bam get one of these:

__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Saw that car before. Very slick conversion that retains the balance but addds gobs of power and torque AND daily driveability.
Probably shoulda asked this in the first post, but do you have any idea how much it costs?
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Probably shoulda asked this in the first post, but do you have any idea how much it costs?

Considering the quality of workmanship, probably eleventy-bazillion dollars.

Actually, you can get the engine/trans combo for about $2000-2500, and it would take anywhere from a grand to $3k to hook everything up in there depending on fabrication and electronics skills. That's about how much it costs to do the same conversion in the RX7, and I can't see it costing more. Now, how much the basic car costs to start with is up for grabs. That's the kind of thing that happens when someone already has the car and it dies.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Pretty nice...

It would be crazy fun
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak
 
pik_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 802
either that or put the bimmer's I6 in a small autocrossing car, assuming you could find one where it wouldnt unbalance it that much.

like a neon.



kidding.
__________________
-two great sources to combat ignorance-
google
wikipedia
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Considering the quality of workmanship, probably eleventy-bazillion dollars.

Actually, you can get the engine/trans combo for about $2000-2500, and it would take anywhere from a grand to $3k to hook everything up in there depending on fabrication and electronics skills. That's about how much it costs to do the same conversion in the RX7, and I can't see it costing more. Now, how much the basic car costs to start with is up for grabs. That's the kind of thing that happens when someone already has the car and it dies.
Wait, you're saying that engine+tranny can be had for $2500? Is that not the base C5 Vette engine? I find it hard to swallow that a $50,000 sporsts car has a $2500 engine+tranny, especially when this is almost 3 times that...
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Wait, you're saying that engine+tranny can be had for $2500? Is that not the base C5 Vette engine? I find it hard to swallow that a $50,000 sporsts car has a $2500 engine+tranny, especially when this is almost 3 times that...
It could probably be found cheap used, like at a junk yard...
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Maybe we can expect the new 4.0L 400hp V8 M3 to have performance like a slightly modded LS1 M3. Car before its time right there!
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Jedi, the ls1 is found in 98+ f-bodies (camaro, firebird, TransAm) as well as the vette. An LS1 with a t56 6 speed can be had for 3k pretty easily.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #12
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Why'd they have to use an E30 M3 for God's sakes? They should have used a 318i, but to sacrifice an M3 body is just sin.

Apart from that, pretty cool.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Jedi, the ls1 is found in 98+ f-bodies (camaro, firebird, TransAm) as well as the vette. An LS1 with a t56 6 speed can be had for 3k pretty easily.

Yup. The guys at V8RX7.com are doing that swap into 2nd and 3rd gen RX7s quite a bit. It's gotten pretty easy to find wrecked Trans Ams and Camaros to pull the engines out of. A few on that forum have purchased 2000-2002 LS1s and transmissions in complete wrecked cars for under $2k. LS2s are costly, and don't even think about the new Z06 LS7...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Yeah...I wanted to do an LS7 swap into the TI at first, but then I looked at the price, usually around 10k. Eff that, eff that in its face.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Why'd they have to use an E30 M3 for God's sakes? They should have used a 318i, but to sacrifice an M3 body is just sin.

Apart from that, pretty cool.

Actually, thre are a lot of thrashed on E30 M3s out there, with lots of miles and garbaged up engines. But they already have the better suspensions and brakes than the standard E30. Since teh swap retains the balance, increased power a bunch, AND makes the car more liveable on the street and durable over the long run, I'd say it's a good way to SAVE a tired old M3.

Much like I feel the V8 is a good way to save a tired old RX7...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.