Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict

460 swap

Today I found an old ford F150 with a 460engine the seller only wants 600 dollars and shes in beautiful shape.
Could I swap in the 460 from the truck into my comet then put my comets straight 6 in the truck and sell the truck?
I thought this would be a good idea since I could make some of my money back
Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Today I found an old ford F150 with a 460engine the seller only wants 600 dollars and shes in beautiful shape.
Could I swap in the 460 from the truck into my comet then put my comets straight 6 in the truck and sell the truck?
I thought this would be a good idea since I could make some of my money back
Put the 460 into the Vomet and then part the truck out. Less work, more money. Don't expect it to be easy making a 460 fit into your car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Aondor
CF Addict

Well I figure I have the engin mount etc to use from the truck. WIll my transmission handle and how do I tell what type of transmission I have.
I also need to replcae my front suspension to be able to handle the weight so its going to be alot of work a 351 would be a much easier swap but I was interested because of the deal offered on the truck
Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Remember what I told you about that Maverick/Comet? In order to put the 460 in there you ned to notch the shck towers and get custom mounts fabbed (the engine side of teh truck will work, but you need custom mounts on the chassis to bolt them to). there are special headers for that swap, and you need a trans FOR that 460 (and not the truck one, unless it's a C6).

Then you need a driveshaft made, which isn't a BIG deal at any local driveshaft shop.

Then you'll need a better rear end before you build up the 460, as teh 6 cyl rear is a bit weak. Luckily, you can get 9" rears set up to go in that car, but you'll have to do a search on it.

Like I said, that's a swap I'd been contemplating, myself.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Remember what I told you about that Maverick/Comet? In order to put the 460 in there you ned to notch the shck towers and get custom mounts fabbed (the engine side of teh truck will work, but you need custom mounts on the chassis to bolt them to). there are special headers for that swap, and you need a trans FOR that 460 (and not the truck one, unless it's a C6).

Then you need a driveshaft made, which isn't a BIG deal at any local driveshaft shop.

Then you'll need a better rear end before you build up the 460, as teh 6 cyl rear is a bit weak. Luckily, you can get 9" rears set up to go in that car, but you'll have to do a search on it.

Like I said, that's a swap I'd been contemplating, myself.

Well then I have someone I can ask questions. I may not be extremly knowledgeble but I am mechanically inclined and have alot of connections friends willing to help me out
Old 02-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Aondor
CF Addict

where would i find 9" rears?
And Im correct on the required suspension upgrade right? Mustang2 suspension is what I need correct?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Aondor
CF Addict

Overall cost of this project is around how much?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Overall cost of this project is around how much?

Do you know what the edit feature is, or do you simply not use it?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Aondor
CF Addict

Whats edit feature?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Whats edit feature?
At the bottom of your posts, next to quote, it should say edit...So that you can edit your posts...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
At the bottom of your posts, next to quote, it should say edit...So that you can edit your posts...

Instead of posting 3 things at once like you just did, only when people have posted after you and they may not see your edit should you post again....

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote