Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Fresh, decade old videos of my RX7

lol! Just found the old tape from a 1996 autocross, so I transferred what was salvageable to the computer. I was giving rides that day, so every run was with a passenger, and not going for any sort of trophy. But it still shows how my alignment specs worked with the V8 conversion, and kept it balanced and neutral (and cornered flat). I need to use these to shut up rotards...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex1.wmv
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex2.wmv
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex3.wmv

Mind you, these runs were also on 225/50-15 Yokohama A008 RSIIs on 15x7 wheels...

And can you tell which one I blew the first shift on? lol! (that'll teach me to be paying more attention to the cute female passenger than what I'm doing...)

Also, the distance from the turnaround to the finish was exactly a quarter mile (we were using the Bremerton Raceway drag strip fo the main section of the course), and the car did it, with slaloms, crossing the track, and slowing for certain parts, in 20 seconds. Imagine how much quicker that would be were I merely accellerating in a straight line!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I remember seeing videos of you running that track, but that's still pretty amazing...what year is she?...

That's a project I'd love to do
Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Aondor
CF Addict

As always chris I am impressed and in awe by your presence
Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

It's an '86 RX7, and the vids are from '96. And the only vid anyone else has seen is the first 15 seconds or so of the third video there, as that's all I had on the web: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
It's an '86 RX7, and the vids are from '96. And the only vid anyone else has seen is the first 15 seconds or so of the third video there, as that's all I had on the web: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG
That's the one I've seen...Did it take much more than just a new engine to get her to run that good?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Originally the car was autocrossed as a rotary powered car, with a stock engine, Tokiko sport springs, and Tokiko HP struts, with an alignment taken from an SCCA nationals winning RX7.

It was a regional champion for the first season. Then I painted it:

And the engine destroyed itself. So I swapped in the built 302 and AOD 4 speed automatic. The ONLY change to the chassis was the swapping of the stock front swaybar for a new 1 1/8" one to clear the Mustang oil pan (the stock swaybar was going across right where the Ford oil pump sat...).

People say I didn't build the car, or it wasn't fast, or it couldn't have cornered with the V8 swap. I say HA! to all three.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

that is a very nice car man.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffin Type R
that is a very nice car man.

I wish I still had it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

If you dont mind me asking, how much power was the 302 putting out, what was the final weight of the car with you in it and how much (including price of car) was the final cost? Also, did you use aftermarket mounts from a company to put the 302 in, or did you fabricate some yourself?

BTW - that RX7 is setup PERFECT! I love it.

My friend did a 302 swap in a 1st gen RX7 but it was setup to drag. With a nearly stock 302 putting out about 250hp he was doing mid 13s on crappy tires. Dipped into the 12's when he put some old slicks he had on.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

nice vids, and awsome car. is it just me or does the 15 second clip seem to be running on steroids. Also you said you blew the first shift, seemed pretty good to me on all of them my guess would be first video. How did you accelerate so fast? Being new to clutch I found the friction point but its still kind of rough one or two bumps from stop to get moving, and from first to second. Do you just have to know where the catch point is and floor it? (when in time trials or racing I mean not on the streets)
Old 02-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
If you dont mind me asking, how much power was the 302 putting out, what was the final weight of the car with you in it and how much (including price of car) was the final cost? Also, did you use aftermarket mounts from a company to put the 302 in, or did you fabricate some yourself?

BTW - that RX7 is setup PERFECT! I love it.

I never had teh car on a dyno. I bought it complete from a friend who had it in his drag race car, and was going to a big block. I swapped out the tunnel ram and drag race cam for an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and an Edelbrock performer RPM cam, and Edelbrock carb (all gotten used). The carb never did work right and I eventually swapped for a Holley. That's why in some pics of the car you can se the Edelbrock and in later pics, the holley is on it.

The car weighed 2720 lbs wet minus myself. The alignment we did was done with me sitting in the car, so the static settings were assymetrical. the best run I got 9and I'm not that good a drag racer) was a 12.1, which, with the 4:10 gears and 23" tall tires, equates to approximately 330 RWHP. The trans was an AOD automatic, so you can figure what the flywheel hp might be.

Total cost of the swap was in the $2500 range, considering I bought the engie for a grand, and bought an LTDII ex patrol car for parts (trans, driveshaft, etc) for $250. I made all the mounts myself (and have provided the plans to the RX7 V8 community free of charge for a decade) out of $20 in materials. granny's asked to duplicate my mounts as a kit, and are selling a Ford swap kit using my car's pictures to sell it. It's not the same as my kit, however...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
nice vids, and awsome car. is it just me or does the 15 second clip seem to be running on steroids.

The short clip is badly copmpressed using crappy software from a long time ago. In fact, I can no longer actually see it from my computer: it just closes Windows Media Player, so it may be corrupted.

Quote:
Also you said you blew the first shift, seemed pretty good to me on all of them my guess would be first video. How did you accelerate so fast? Being new to clutch I found the friction point but its still kind of rough one or two bumps from stop to get moving, and from first to second. Do you just have to know where the catch point is and floor it? (when in time trials or racing I mean not on the streets)

Actually, if you listen to the vid (and it's the start of the 2nd vid, BTW), I was pushing the shifter from first to second, but I went all the way to 3rd for a moment (yes, it's a modded AOD automatic trans), and IIRC, I was paying attention to the girl in the passenger seat who was screaming from launching hard, and didn't pull back from the second detent fast enough (in an AOD, you start in low, push the lever forward to second, then instantly pull the lever back to low to hold it in second, then push it forward again to go to third. I left it forward a bit too long and it went to third automatically before I pulled it back to second. It happened very fast, but you can hear the drop in rpm when it shouldn't)

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 02-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

1. Where is that car now?
  2. How much did it cost you total in parts including the car?
  3. How much do you believe it would be for someone to pay a professional to do it all?

BTW Definitely the sweetest RX-7 I have ever seen/heard.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The short clip is badly copmpressed using crappy software from a long time ago. In fact, I can no longer actually see it from my computer: it just closes Windows Media Player, so it may be corrupted.
Worked for me, but I was using BSplayer...but Windows Media Player Classic should work too...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
fudge
let's fighting love

Imo the FC is the best looking Mazda to ever be produced.