Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
theblue
CF Newbie

Scion tC, do you recommend it?

Hey everyone. Well I'm getting tired of my 1990 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I want a smaller car. I saw the Scion tCs, and they look amazing. The stock styling is amazing; a moonroof, a nice Pioneer system, and actual power locks...my car is old and cheap heh. Well I've done a search for threads about the tC, and most of them are pretty far back. So maybe some of you guys have changed your views on Scion and its tC. I want to hear all of your pros and cons about the car. What I'm looking for is a car under $18-19k with some style, and a decent engine. Well I'm not a real car entusiast, I don't street race or anything, I just want something faster than my little Jeep, which can't break 85... and something that is sleek. For $17k or so, I can't see anything beating the tC. But maybe you do?

By the way, does anyone know how much the TRD supercharger for the tC costs w/ installation? Do I even need it is probably a better question. Thanks.
theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

First off, the supercharger is 3000 i believe. Only cons I have with it are the fact that it gets rather bad gas milage for the engine its running on. Good power and good styling. I wanted my dad to get one he went with a corolla instead. Try to find one of the Special series. They are red with big wings and black enkei wheels. Should be noticable from a mile away
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

I like the tC. In fact, I think its definatly the best looking Scion out right now. If you want one go for it.

The TRD supercharger is a bit expensive though But on the other hand if you actually have the money....

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
shadowedII
CF Newbie

My dad drives an automatic TC, but the things a little beast. And its quite slylish. I hate him for not getting a 5 speed, because then i would want to drive it all the time.

But hey, the car's made by Toyota, so you know its going to last. And they are pretty cheap.
shadowedII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue
Hey everyone. Well I'm getting tired of my 1990 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I want a smaller car. I saw the Scion tCs, and they look amazing. The stock styling is amazing; a moonroof, a nice Pioneer system, and actual power locks...my car is old and cheap heh. Well I've done a search for threads about the tC, and most of them are pretty far back. So maybe some of you guys have changed your views on Scion and its tC. I want to hear all of your pros and cons about the car. What I'm looking for is a car under $18-19k with some style, and a decent engine. Well I'm not a real car entusiast, I don't street race or anything, I just want something faster than my little Jeep, which can't break 85... and something that is sleek. For $17k or so, I can't see anything beating the tC. But maybe you do?

By the way, does anyone know how much the TRD supercharger for the tC costs w/ installation? Do I even need it is probably a better question. Thanks.

I personally did not like it when I drove one. The engine was boring (go figure, it's the same 2.4 from the Camry) and the handling was numb and unresponsive. Basically it was a cheaper, little bit lighter Camry Solara, and felt typical Toyota boring... BUT, the price was very appealing for the features you get. Personally, in that segment I would get the Mazda 3s 5-door or a Civic EX coupe. The Mazda 3s was a pretty sharp car when I drove it, very nice on the inside too. The new Civic is a sharp vehicle too, new engine is a lot better than the older D series was, handling is really pretty good too for an econo-car. Both in the Mazda3s and Civic EX coupe I drove, they both handled better than the tC and felt quicker. BUT, both of those I drove rang up to be over $19k, well over the price of a tC ($17k).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD

How about the Cobalt (coupe). The SS starts at $17,490, that matches your Scion for 17K. But then again there's the Supercharged SS but that costs around $20,000. There's one more econobox/sport compact that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet, and quite frankly I'm impressed Newyorker (because he has mentioned it EVERY-SINGLE-TIME someone has asked a similar "What car to get?" question.) However the sticker price on that is $19,995.
Of course these are just suggestions...it all depends on what you like. Go test drive them and make a decision. Personally, I'd take the styling of the Scion TC or the 06 Civic over everything else.

Last edited by elchango36 : 02-16-2006 at 08:31 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

(neon, sx 2.0, srt4 )

but anyway, its not sleek but the new mustang v6 looks great and goes alright too, and impretty sure you can afford one, unless it has to be a jap car

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
(neon, sx 2.0, srt4 )
but anyway, its not sleek but the new mustang v6 looks great and goes alright too, and impretty sure you can afford one, unless it has to be a jap car
He said,
Quote:
I just want something faster than my little Jeep, which can't break 85... and something that is sleek.
MUST...BITE...TONGUE..

Last edited by elchango36 : 02-16-2006 at 08:43 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
mx3_monster
im completely sane

the scion is a really nice car and by far the nicest car that Scion has out right now and probably ever will. The TRD supercharger costs $3,200 dont know what the installation is though

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

SRT-4 is nice.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
SRT-4 is nice.
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!

Oh and BTW the blue...I forgot to mention the Celica. I'd take a Celica GTS over anyone of those cars (except the Civic Si of course).
Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

how about an Integra Type R
Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #13
theblue
CF Newbie

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ouch, that supercharger is way too much, with an extra $3k, I would easily pick up an 06 Mustang V6 Deluxe Coupe or an 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I've been taking a look at each of the cars you all have mentioned, but the tC just has this something that catches my eye. I've posted a few pics below. Anyway, won't a tC still be a huge improvement in pickup, maneuverability, and speed over my Jeep Cherokee? I would be greatly surprised if it didn't. I'll take a test drive soon, and check it out. Thanks.

theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

Ouch, that supercharger is way too much, with an extra $3k, I would easily pick up an 06 Mustang V6 Deluxe Coupe or an 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I've been taking a look at each of the cars you all have mentioned, but the tC just has this something that catches my eye. I've posted a few pics below. Anyway, won't a tC still be a huge improvement in pickup, maneuverability, and speed over my Jeep Cherokee? I would be greatly surprised if it didn't. I'll take a test drive soon, and check it out. Thanks.
the tC is a huge improvement (depending on the way you look at it...SUV's have advantages too) in speed and handling, topping out at 127mph...not that you would test that on a public road right?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

Ess are tee four!!!