Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
pulp_fiction
CF Newbie

VW GTI MkV

i saw the new GTI MkV i think it looks sweet im looking for a car and i was thinking of getting a scion tc but then i saw the GTI MkV is it realy MUCH better than the scion or is the scion better?...or spuld i be looking at diffrent cars?
pulp_fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

well what do you want in a car?

personally, i'd do all i can to come up with the extra money and get the new gti over the tc... but since you didnt have $9500 to buy that guys mustang, i dont think you have the money to buy either of these two cars.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
pulp_fiction
CF Newbie

wow at first i didnt know wat the hell u were talkin about..u hav a good memory i hav much more money than i did then..lot of hard work
Old 02-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

nah... i just searched all your posts (since you only had 12) to see what kind of things you were interested in.

http://car-forums.com/talk/search.php?searchid=219299

so again, what are you looking for in a car? and now, how much are you willing to spend?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
pulp_fiction
CF Newbie

o...well any way im just looking at all cars i just saw the GTI and thought it looked cool and i was already looking at the scion b/c of the flexability w/ it im looking at spending any where in the low 20's at l this time i can always save more...i just want a car that 1) drives 2)looks good 3) goes some what fast, not realy requierd
Old 02-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulp_fiction
i saw the new GTI MkV i think it looks sweet im looking for a car and i was thinking of getting a scion tc but then i saw the GTI MkV is it realy MUCH better than the scion or is the scion better?...or spuld i be looking at diffrent cars?
Ya, what are you looking for. I would probably get the tC and then get the TRD supercharger. Its a Toyota= more reliable (on average) than a VW. (Dont believe me, thats fine. Its true.)

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

well... you just described more than a handful of cars on the market now, and quite a few that have been discontinued in the past decade.

from what i've heard on vw forums, they took the mk4 gti, and "fixed" all the things people considered bad about it, and out comes the mk5. (haha! you can never stop the thumbs up smilie)

supposedly it's a very well rounded package, only downside is that it's a tad more expensive then last gen's, but that's just the way things go...

oh, and about VW's being unreliable, it's MORE that the larger VW's have issues. not so much the smaller ones. not to say they have a perfect track record... but still, not as much to worry about.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
well... you just described more than a handful of cars on the market now, and quite a few that have been discontinued in the past decade.

from what i've heard on vw forums, they took the mk4 gti, and "fixed" all the things people considered bad about it, and out comes the mk5. (haha! you can never stop the thumbs up smilie)

supposedly it's a very well rounded package, only downside is that it's a tad more expensive then last gen's, but that's just the way things go...

oh, and about VW's being unreliable, it's MORE that the larger VW's have issues. not so much the smaller ones. not to say they have a perfect track record... but still, not as much to worry about.
Thus I said "on average." VWs ("on average") have reliability that is not as good as Toyotas ("on average").

But I am not saying the GTI isnt a bad car, I wouldnt mind having one.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
pulp_fiction
CF Newbie

thabks for the help im just lookin around for cars i just saw teh GTI and wanted to see what people though about it
Old 02-18-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Thus I said "on average." VWs ("on average") have reliability that is not as good as Toyotas ("on average").

But I am not saying the GTI isnt a bad car, I wouldnt mind having one.
yea, i was just further clarifying it for him.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

The MKV GTi is in a whole 'nother class over the tC. The tC is a $17k vehicle...the GTi STARTS at $22k. The GTi just aint cheap. A nice compromise (really I think is a better car than the GTi) is the Civic SI, which is $20k. Once you start optioning the GTi most people would want (like DSG/sunroof) it easily gets well in the mid $20k range. The GTi is no performace bargin, but if you need more space to haul things around, or more people to haul around the GTi starts looking worth the extra couple grand. Otherwise the SI is the clear choice as it's just as fast as the GTi, handles MUCH MUCH better (it's not even a contest) and is cheaper and similarily equipped to boot.

The tC is not a sporty car really. It feels and drives like a little smaller Camry Solara. The main selling point of the tC is the features and the price...performance doesn't sell the tC, while performance mostly is what sells the SI and GTi.

Also, the tC and SI will most likely not give you many problems, the GTI has a long history of "issues"...just go to vwvortex forums and find out...

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 02-19-2006 at 10:04 PM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
zazz14
CF Newbie

Quote:
thabks for the help im just lookin around for cars i just saw teh GTI and wanted to see what people though about it

good call. i've been looking at the new gti for a while now. vw just launched a new web site where you can take drive in in it after you configure. sick. doesnt hurt that the german chick from the commercials rides with you www.vwfeatures.com
zazz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
The MKV GTi is in a whole 'nother class over the tC. The tC is a $17k vehicle...the GTi STARTS at $22k. The GTi just aint cheap. A nice compromise (really I think is a better car than the GTi) is the Civic SI, which is $20k. Once you start optioning the GTi most people would want (like DSG/sunroof) it easily gets well in the mid $20k range. The GTi is no performace bargin, but if you need more space to haul things around, or more people to haul around the GTi starts looking worth the extra couple grand. Otherwise the SI is the clear choice as it's just as fast as the GTi, handles MUCH MUCH better (it's not even a contest) and is cheaper and similarily equipped to boot.

The tC is not a sporty car really. It feels and drives like a little smaller Camry Solara. The main selling point of the tC is the features and the price...performance doesn't sell the tC, while performance mostly is what sells the SI and GTi.

Also, the tC and SI will most likely not give you many problems, the GTI has a long history of "issues"...just go to vwvortex forums and find out...

Don't forget that the GTI is a much nicer looking vehicle, inside and out.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Don't forget that the GTI is a much nicer looking vehicle, inside and out.

Than the tC or SI?

I hate the hatchback look of the MKV GTI, very ugly IMO. Looks almost like the 02-05 Civic SI in a few ways (microvan-ish). I hate the way the seats look in the GTI with that ugly plaid and the seats in the SI not only look butter but felt better to me. At least you can upgrade to leather seats o nthe GTI, but there goes your price! I hate the way VW makes it to where you pretty much have to AT LEAST buy a half optioned out GTI to get what you want (want DSG? have to get a sunroof! hate the seats? HAve to get leather!).

While most people DONT like the dash/console layout of the Civic SI I happen to like it better than the GTI. You get a big easy readable tach and cool digital speedo. Very uncluttered.

Yuck...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Than the tC or SI?

I hate the hatchback look of the MKV GTI, very ugly IMO. Looks almost like the 02-05 Civic SI in a few ways (microvan-ish). I hate the way the seats look in the GTI with that ugly plaid and the seats in the SI not only look butter but felt better to me. At least you can upgrade to leather seats o nthe GTI, but there goes your price! I hate the way VW makes it to where you pretty much have to AT LEAST buy a half optioned out GTI to get what you want (want DSG? have to get a sunroof! hate the seats? HAve to get leather!).

While most people DONT like the dash/console layout of the Civic SI I happen to like it better than the GTI. You get a big easy readable tach and cool digital speedo. Very uncluttered.

Yuck...
VW made the seat fabric that way to rekindle the Mk1 GTI I believe. I certainly think that this GTI is better than the previous version, which, apart from V6 models, was nothing spectacular

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote