Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

Car Recommendations

Which car do you all think makes a good used car to buy? Meaning, which car makes and models seem to have the least problems over the years. It definitely is not the pontiac sunbird. From your own experience (not neccesarily the cars you love most, but the ones that have been the least hassle). I'm talking about under $5000 range used car.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
mountaingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl
Which car do you all think makes a good used car to buy? Meaning, which car makes and models seem to have the least problems over the years. It definitely is not the pontiac sunbird. From your own experience (not neccesarily the cars you love most, but the ones that have been the least hassle). I'm talking about under $5000 range used car.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
In my experience, Japanese cars are reliable in most cases. Honda make one of the most reliable engines in the world. Infact, I seem to remember hearing that not one V-Tec unit has blown up lol.

Older VW's are extreamly reliable, too!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD

If your looking just for reliability, look at Japanese auto makers (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.). The only problem I've seen with Japanese cars is Rust, but that's about it.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
If your looking just for reliability, look at Japanese auto makers (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.). The only problem I've seen with Japanese cars is Rust, but that's about it.
I agree....rush has been the only trouble on any cars I've had of Japanese origin. Mechanically ya cant beat them!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-19-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Any toyota.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Any toyota.
Holy sh*t! Somebody must have hijacked his account!

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Ya lol.

Uhh... Japanese cars would get my vote. What are you looking for? Small sports sedan, family car, SUV...?

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No its still srt-4 nut here. She sounds like she needs a reliable car, and Toyota is great for that. I would personally go with a camry LE for that matter. Grandfather has ones its not the best looking car outside and simple inside, but it gets the job done and he has no problems with it unlike the 96 lumina he had.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
95civicdima
CF Addict

hmmm....1995 honda civic ex...sounds just about right...lets see only problem i ever had...transmission... the driver before me treated the car pretty bad so ya know.... other than that...car has NEVER given me any problems. I'd recommend to change the thermostat around 120k. They do lose touch after a while
Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicdima
hmmm....1995 honda civic ex...sounds just about right...lets see only problem i ever had...transmission... the driver before me treated the car pretty bad so ya know.... other than that...car has NEVER given me any problems. I'd recommend to change the thermostat around 120k. They do lose touch after a while
Mostly all civics in general area great. My mom had a problem with her CVT trans on the 97 HX at 135k miles and at that point we sold the car. I personally like the older ones better, but all civics in general are great cars. Integras are also great.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems the japanese cars have the unanimous vote. As for what I'm looking for, yes reliable, and not too little of a car. So not looking for those little hondas, don't recall the model name of them. That dark colored civic in one of the posts is about as small as I would want to go. And yes, even a four wheel drive would be good. Also, something that when it does have some mechanical problem, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

By the way, I just determined the problem on my pontiac sunbird. it is a very leaky water outlet gasket. must have just gotten worse in the last few days as the water pours right out. head gasket seems ok, no white smoke, no water in the oil etc. but I still want to ditch that car and get something else.
mountaingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems the japanese cars have the unanimous vote. As for what I'm looking for, yes reliable, and not too little of a car. So not looking for those little hondas, don't recall the model name of them. That dark colored civic in one of the posts is about as small as I would want to go. And yes, even a four wheel drive would be good. Also, something that when it does have some mechanical problem, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

By the way, I just determined the problem on my pontiac sunbird. it is a very leaky water outlet gasket. must have just gotten worse in the last few days as the water pours right out. head gasket seems ok, no white smoke, no water in the oil etc. but I still want to ditch that car and get something else.
Post your zip code and well help you find something nice in your area

Old 02-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
And yes, even a four wheel drive would be good.

And did the focus ever come as 4WD/AWD?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus

And did the focus ever come as 4WD/AWD?
No, the Focus was never sold as an AWD. Ford was gonna make the RS AWD as they wanted it to be like the rally car....but they never done it in the end, which was a mistake, as it suffered exccessive torque steer Grrrr.

As for the above, dunno about the Legacy, as she wanted a car that doesn't take a genius to work on...and they aint the easiest cars in the world to work on lol