Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #16
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
As for the above, dunno about the Legacy, as she wanted a car that doesn't take a genius to work on...and they aint the easiest cars in the world to work on lol

You know, I find it weird, but I love working on flat engines. They do require half the engine to come off just to get to the heads, but they're just awesome to work on. This probably explains my attraction to porsches. Flats are hard to work on I guess, but I think that they're worth it.

For others, though, I imagine that they're hell.
----------
Did honda implement their continuously variable transmission outside of the hybrids? I didn't think that they did...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #17
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

My zipcode is 95370. I live in a small town but there are a bunch of car lots, mostly new, a few for used.

Just spent four hours out in the rain trying to fix the cars and they still aren't working. I'm about ready to just call up the dealer and say drive something over and I'll buy it.

mountaingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 AM   #18
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

If you want an AWD car that reliable thats gonna most likely put the price way past 5k. I have a 96 Accord that i paid 4k for. I put about 700 bucks into her for a new braking system. I drive her hard but she never gives me problems. But if you really want to stay for the AWD id vote for an AWD Talon

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #19
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
if you find someone watching you out the window, it's probably newyorker...just give the police the website and they should be able to track his i.p creepy i know
Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #20
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Quote:
In my experience, Japanese cars are reliable in most cases. Honda make one of the most reliable engines in the world. Infact, I seem to remember hearing that not one V-Tec unit has blown up lol.

Older VW's are extreamly reliable, too!

only in your part of the world are older VW's reliable, remeber this is north america and there are a select few unlazy human beings left over here when it comes to car maintenance, your best bet for any car purchase is one that an old man or woman drove and kept every detailed maintenance or repair record, you'll never find a vehicle that wont give you any problems, just like finding a soulmate, it doesnt exist so you just better settle for the next best thing. find an old lady on a farm who just got her husbands life insurance and is about to buy a new car and ready to sell hers for dirt cheap
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 AM   #21
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

lol

There is an old couple around here with a 67 dart like mine but the old green aqua color with a white vinyl top and it is cherry! I leave a note on their car every time I see it parked (not too often). they won't give it up!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #22
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaDie4TheGov
I put about 700 bucks into her for a new braking system.

I sure hope to hell you replaced EVERYTHING in the system. From the booster to the cylinder to the ABS controller to the lines to the drums/rotors.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #23
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
No, the Focus was never sold as an AWD. Ford was gonna make the RS AWD as they wanted it to be like the rally car....but they never done it in the end, which was a mistake, as it suffered exccessive torque steer Grrrr.

As for the above, dunno about the Legacy, as she wanted a car that doesn't take a genius to work on...and they aint the easiest cars in the world to work on lol

Ford DID do it. In Europe. AWD. Turbo. The RS is well known over there.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #24
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE
Ford DID do it. In Europe. AWD. Turbo. The RS is well known over there.
I can assure you they didn't.....I live in the UK and know for certain that an AWD was never made, unless it's an after market kit. I suggest you check your facts in future!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #25
Fender89
CF Newbie

i would say buy a toyota mr2 the old one or honda that is alrdy has a turbo.
Fender89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #26
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

yeah

the japanese seems to be a good way to go. hard to find them used. I had my eye on a camry pretty cheap but it was gone before I got to it. good thing is that the dealers are all hot on my trail because I have great credit. one guy left me a message and said I checked your credit and we want to get you down here. You can drive off the lot with any car you choose! lol. yeah but can I pay the payments? lol.

most of the toyotas and hondas I'm seeing have very high mileage. what do you all think about that? I've never financed a car before, have always bought for cash.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #27
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl
the japanese seems to be a good way to go. hard to find them used. I had my eye on a camry pretty cheap but it was gone before I got to it. good thing is that the dealers are all hot on my trail because I have great credit. one guy left me a message and said I checked your credit and we want to get you down here. You can drive off the lot with any car you choose! lol. yeah but can I pay the payments? lol.

most of the toyotas and hondas I'm seeing have very high mileage. what do you all think about that? I've never financed a car before, have always bought for cash.
They usually run around 200-250k before serious problems (properly taken care of of course)...heck ive heard of neons that were properly maintained and well driven taking 300k+ miles with ease on the original motor and trans. My moms civic had 137k miles before having problems but thats due to the fact it was in pretty bad shape when we bought it. Wasnt maintained well, driven hard, and had problems from the start. Just gotta go with your gut, but mostly Honda and Toyota is good. Nissan makes great cars. Look for cars with the VIN# starting with J. They are REALLY reliable because they are assembled in Japan (RAV4, Maxima, Integra). The others are good as well. Link us to some things you see and we can go from there.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #28
mountaingirl
CF Newbie

just found

this at a local dealer:

1991 Acura Legend LS Sedan $5995, 98,800 miles. Vin starts with J.

Seems like a good deal and they are reputed to be very good mechanically etc.

ooops just found out why. ran a carfax on it and the odomter went from 157,000 to 97,000! clean check otherwise.

Last edited by mountaingirl : 02-22-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #29
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
this at a local dealer:

1991 Acura Legend LS Sedan $5995, 98,800 miles. Vin starts with J.

Seems like a good deal and they are reputed to be very good mechanically etc.

ooops just found out why. ran a carfax on it and the odomter went from 157,000 to 97,000! clean check otherwise.
for that year with 157k miles for 6 grand i wouldnt do it. I raced one of those cars this weekend. It was an LS coupe 5-speed some girl was driving it and I had a friend in the car we were pretty much dead even the whole way to 70 when we let off.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #30
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Which car do you all think makes a good used car to buy? Meaning, which car makes and models seem to have the least problems over the years. It definitely is not the pontiac sunbird. From your own experience (not neccesarily the cars you love most, but the ones that have been the least hassle). I'm talking about under $5000 range used car.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

In my experience if you observe what an average 55 yearold plus woman is driving, chances are it's reliable.