Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

I Guess My Life Path Is Locked In

So, due to recent events, my life path has pretty much been locked in. I've officially be accepted to medical school. I'm going to UW for pre-med, then to med, then to residency, then to psychiatry. It's a long path (think along the lines of 10-14 years), but I know that it's going to be a rewarding life. It entails everything I want and need, and I love the job. As soon as I get out of school (where I'm pretty much hired immediately into a top-class psychiatric firm/office/place thingy that I can remember what's called), I'll be able to afford a house (for tax reasons), the 996 GT3 sitting in my garage, every little gizmo and gadget I want, and probably even be able to start a family (even though it's not in my plans at all at the moment). The year 2016-2020 looks good for me.

However, seeing as how I'm going to be in college and residency for quite some time, I'm going to need a new car for my own personal wants, and to get from A to B. Currently, I own a 1990 Ford Taurus GL, but the head gasket went on the thing, and the oil/coolant mixture is melting the crank bearings. The engine's useless, so I'm in the midst of donating it to my auto shop class. I'm picking up a 1994 Chevrolet Lumina Z24 (I think it's a Z24) with 101,000 miles on it for $500 simply to get from A to B. This'll get me to and from my new job.

Now here's where I want advice. I've run into some money, seeing as how I've picked up a VERY nice job. By the time comes around that I'll be heading off to the UW campus, I'll have my tuition paid for, misc money in my pocket, and close to $900 a month for a car payment. I want a car that'll hopefully last me ALL the way through college and residency, and then hopefully college again. For this reason, I'm looking at new cars, seeing as how they're the best chances at lasting 10 years. Also, I'll be paying for this car, it's insurance, and it's gas myself. Everything is else is taken care of. However, I don't want all of my money going into this car: I need some misc money for...well...miscellaneous things. I'll be paying for this car under a 60 month loan (I know, I know) with five thousand down, and perfect credit. So, what I want in this car and why I want it is below.

RWD/AWD - (Can't stand FWD)
5-6 Speed - (Not autos for me)
0-60 in the 4 second range - (Something to get up and go when I want it)
Quarter in 13s - (See above)
Atleast a 5 year warranty - (I don't want to have to pay for a new turbo housing after 3 and half years)
Less than 10,000 miles - (Needs to last a while)
Model in production for 3-4 years - (stats show that the longer the car's in production, the more reliable it is)
Tunability - (I'll want to tinker with it on weekends)
Practicality - (I'll be using this car for dates and going on trips, so it can't be a full racing suspension AMS Evo IV)
Back space - (Need room for 5 people to comfortably sit in the car, and enough trunk space to fit reasonable items such as groceries, computer monitors, etc. etc.)
Decent Mileage - (Somewhere in the upper teens or low 20s sounds about right)
Decent pricing - (Just because I have money doesn't mean I want to blow it all out of my ass. I'm looking for something that's beneath 30,000)

Any ideas? I'm liking how an Evo IV looks right now. Any other ideas?
-----------
And finally, when I hit residency, my money income goes up A LOT. So, has anyone ever heard of a loan style that's 60 months long, with Zero APR for the first 1-3 years, then explodes to 1.15% for the next 4-2?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Well, hope it all goes well for ya!

As far as the car goes. As ya want a car in the 4secs to 60 bracket, it kinda narrows it down alot lol....I would say the Evo, I would have also recommended an Impreza, but I cant see it lasting the length of time you have in mind without it's fair shair of problems!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Well, hope it all goes well for ya!

As far as the car goes. As ya want a car in the 4secs to 60 bracket, it kinda narrows it down alot lol....I would say the Evo, I would have also recommended an Impreza, but I cant see it lasting the length of time you have in mind without it's fair shair of problems!

Well, that and the fact that it's warranty only last 3/36,000. I wonder why...
Let's change the bracket to 4 second 0-60 after a few basic mods.

I'm looking at low-mileage GSXs, and the 03-04 cobras also. The IS300 has also caught my eye.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
The year 2016-2020 looks good for me.
sucks for you that the mayans predicted the world ending in 2012...

either way. an evo is actually what came to mind when reading the specs you wanted... go for it.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
sucks for you that the mayans predicted the world ending in 2012...

either way. an evo is actually what came to mind when reading the specs you wanted... go for it.
I thought it was 2010

Like everyone before my said, an Evo, what about an S2000, or the IS300...that would be a good option too
Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

UW as in university of washington?
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love

Ther only other new car other than an Evo or an Impreza which fits most of those criteria is a Mustang, honestly you'll have to make some sort of compromise. You're asking for way too much for a car that can do 0-60 in 4 seconds and do 20+mpg.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Okay, now here's option 2.

I've always loved motorcycles. So, what if I continued to drive beaters like the taurus, and bought a GSX-R1000?

The price stays down, and I'll probably be paying around $.35/mile for everything on the beater car, and $.60/mile for the bike for everything, and no loan needed for the bike.

Solves all my requirements. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
ride3k
CF Addict

a new-ish S2000 is a great car, its in the higher range if you want post 2003 (better, bigger engine, lower miles most likely) and i think its damn sexy. But with all your descriptions a EVO is probably your best bet, and its got pretty good trunk/pasenger room.

The s2k is only a 2 seater jsut so ya know, but i thought it was worth mentioning b/c it is a fantastic car for 20 grand (used of course)

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
nah he's right 2012, so youve just extended your life expectancy by 2 years...good job dude
Old 02-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
nah he's right 2012, so youve just extended your life expectancy by 2 years...good job dude
Yesss...I achieved something today!! What did you do today?...I didn't do much...excepts EXPAND MY LIFE BY 2 YEARS
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #12
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

yeah an EVO does sound about right because with some mods id say 4 seconds to 60 is possible.

or a subaru WRX STi

or if your not in the mood for modifying it, an EVO Fq400
(look for the topgear video about it on google video, amazing )

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #13
Scolson
CF Enthusiast

Godlaus you should wait for the Ducati Hypermotard. Now THERE'S an awesome bike!
-Chuck Norris only masturbates to pictures of Chuck Norris.
-Chuck Norris invented water.
Scolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

0-60 in 4 seconds is insanely fast. There are only a few cars out there that go with your criteria.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #15
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
0-60 in 4 seconds is insanely fast. There are only a few cars out there that go with your criteria.

unless he means 4seconds as in anything less than five, aka 4.9 or 4.6 type of thing, that bumps it up alot.

while thiinking on that, a last gen camaro is a great car for this, my dad has had his SS for about 7 years, it fits 4, not five and the trunk isnt the most spacious, but it can be had for 14-15 grand, and with little modifications it makes a healthy 0-60 and a great 1/4 time (im pretty sure his 0-60 is under 5 and his quarter is 13's ish)

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote