Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Transmission

Just wanted to know if its better in the sense of difficulty, and money to take out an automatic tranmission and put in a manual tranmission or just sell the car and get the same type but with a manual?

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Depends on the car in question as to the difficulty and cost involved!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

1994 3000GT SL 124600 miles automatic. transmission is having issues: shifting to driver or reverse only increases the rpm, car doesn't move, but pressing on the brake for a couple seconds it will then start moving, possible a belt slip?..

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightroad
1994 3000GT SL 124600 miles automatic. transmission is having issues: shifting to driver or reverse only increases the rpm, car doesn't move, but pressing on the brake for a couple seconds it will then start moving, possible a belt slip?..
Hang on a minute.....you press the brake peddal to start the car moving?....or you press it and then release it?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hang on a minute.....you press the brake peddal to start the car moving?....or you press it and then release it?
It needs the brakes to pressed to change the shifter to reverse or drive. When it is on drive or reverse and I release the brake pedal, rpm slowly goes up but no push. I have to hold the brake for a couple seconds before the rpm goes down below 1000(700-900) before it starts moving. This is just the first of the series of problems. Other times like entering the freeway it will just raise the rpm and no increase in MPH but instead a decrease. Getting a service manual this or next week so I would still like if possible an idea of what could be the problem. Thanks.

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 AM   #6
ride3k
CF Addict

i got the same problem on mine, cept for me its just an idle issue, i.e i start up the car, normal idle, but if i give it gas it has about a 10% chance of stalling, then some time i turn it on and it hits up to 2500RPM right away then into drive/reverse it only goes down to 1500, rele annoying cuz it makes the car work more than it should when i holf the brakes, i suggest checking the IAC or throttle body maybe? i used some carb cleaner and it fixed the stalling issue, mostly.

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

hmmm, this is just a guess but could be some electrical problem with the transmission..... i forgot who it was that said this but, apparently, "according to statistics", around 90% of automatic transmission failures (or issues) are due to overheating and electrical malfunctions.... thats wat i heard (or read). though i do think its very possible that maybe some sensor isnt working right.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 AM   #8
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Yeah Ill check into the electrical once I get my service manuals, thanks for the advice

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Vlad
CF Addict

True on the overheating part. My auto teacher used to build automatic transmissions for Ford and told us that almost all transmission failures are due to overheating.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote