Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
95civicdima
CF Addict

Alright so i started playing the guitar!!!

Alright so my school has block scheduling...and as much as i do honestly like it they are getting rid of it and this is the last year. THe thing that sucks about it is that it royaly ****s over the juniors (ME!!!) with scheduling and stuff. The plus is that they added like a entire load of cool classes. One of the classes i took was guitar for intermediates. It's like we were supposed to take beginner guitar at 8th grade or something and now this is like the second class to that. Well if anyone remembers music class in 8th grade...yea that was total bs. So i'm pretty excited about this class because the teacher is THE MAN!!! he is sweet. Basically this class is just us gonna be bringing guitars to school and us just playing and getting better THE ENTIRE YEAR!!! well...i realized after i signed up that i don't play the guitar ...so my friends are like getting me in to it and i just have to say I LOVE THE GUITAR!!! i swear it is so much fun...i completetly suck but i think i'll be able to get the hang of it... my friend lent me his guitar and amp... as much as i appreciate it the guitar ****ing sucks and sounds awful!...which makes it that much more fun when i get a sweet sound out of it. SO if anyone is selling or know where i can get a sweet hook-up with an electric guitar send it my way. Oh and please tell me if you play the guitar and that it gets better and easier later along also advise would be great too! thank you all!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Congrats...musical talents skipped a generation in my family, excepts for my sister

I've got a couple of friends who play the guitar, and they say it's pretty easy...

What kind of guitar?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
95civicdima
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Congrats...musical talents skipped a generation in my family, excepts for my sister

I've got a couple of friends who play the guitar, and they say it's pretty easy...

What kind of guitar?

Right now electric... i ****ing love hearing the sound come out...i might practice on the acoustic just to get better faster but i'm looking for an electric for me
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Guitar Riffs to Learn:

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water
Nirvana - Come as you are
The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
Green Day - When I come around

.. that's all the easy ones I can think of off the top of my head that are uber recognisable.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Man you sure post a lot of off topic things here lol. I tried guitar. Im not good with instruments. Cant really coordinate on many things at a time
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
Aondor
CF Addict

Cngrats

The guitar is ultra fun.
of course the banjo is better
Your probly into more modern music but I can still give tips.
when your practice only play hard stuff in fact go out of your way and play things that you will struggle at. Then when you go to play easier stuff its much easier. So when a girl walks by you can play something fairly simple but sounds cool and play it flawless. Musical talent is a babe magnet. Also practice your chords till yoru fingers bleed till you know everyone from A- to e7
Old 02-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Aondor
CF Addict

Cngrats

just stick with it
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

After a little while it playing just becomes second nature. Punk is pretty much the easiest type of music I've ever played. It's fast, but one you get comfortable with the power chord formation, it'll be a piece of cake. Of course once you get better you're going to want to get into some more complex stuff, so learning guitar (or any instrument other than Kazoo) will never be a walk in the park. As far as getting a good deal, check ebay and harmony-central.com. If you look around long enough you'll stumble across some good deals. Just keep practicing!

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Alright the guitar. Something really fun to play is the e chord. Try learning tabs and this will help you out. I would explain but it may take a while to get through all of it well I'll explain the simplistic pieces. Tabs are an easier method to reading music basically it tells you which fret to put your finger on at which time. A tab bar would look like this:

|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------
|------------

The top line is the the high string or the bottom e string on the guitar and the bottom would be the low e. Now lets learn the E chord with this. Here is the E chord using tabs:

|-----------
|-----------
|--1--------
|--2--------
|--2--------
|-----------

When the fret play stays on top of eachother there all struck together as in other songs they will be apart and then you pluck each of those strings seperately.Go to http://mxtabs.net and check out there lessons and the have a huge number of songs tabbed out for you. Depending on your music preference I would suggest to learn his latest flame by elvis on an acoustic. Other than that have fun with it. I've been playing for a while and the best thing to do is practice. On buying a guitar I would say for a starter like yourself a nice squier stratocaster should keep you content for now until you find you like it more and more and invest into a nicer guitar like a les paul or anything else. For an amp I would say a little 30 watt cause they put out some power for just practicing.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
95civicdima
CF Addict

Yea i'm learning tabs as most people know this is the way to go. I'm more into rock. I have a friends guitar right now it is of probably the worst quality but that's just practice. I have a friend hooking me up a GREAT DEAL from what i've hurd. ANyone else play guitar that want to share?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Hope it goes well for ya!....I've never been able to play an instrument......always seemed abit daunting, too much to learn! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Man you sure post a lot of off topic things here lol
Hey, if it wasn't for people like 'civicdima' the OT section woul eventually die out....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Guitar Riffs to Learn:

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water
Nirvana - Come as you are
The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
Green Day - When I come around

.. that's all the easy ones I can think of off the top of my head that are uber recognisable.
You forget Smells Like Teen Spirit.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Congrats man, good luck! I bought an electric guitar and amp off of a friend last summer but haven't really tried playing it yet (I want to learn though).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Hope it goes well for ya!....I've never been able to play an instrument......always seemed abit daunting, too much to learn! lol

Hey, if it wasn't for people like 'civicdima' the OT section woul eventually die out....
Then again greek posts everything he sees. Some things however, I rather enjoy....like the 3 chicks with the car
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #15
95civicdima
CF Addict

Yea this is so much fun... I recommend everyone trying. If you are afraid of not being able to take it from someone who's in day 2 of it. A LOT OF FUGGIN! FUN!! I mean tabs are great that's what i've learn to read. If you are just starting out do what i did and ask a few friends on things you can warm up with. Like drills. That's what i basically do and you see results INSTANTLY! I'm getting a ibanez rg120 off of a friend. He got it 3 years ago, and i'll be checking it out tomorrow (02/23/06). Anyone know good sites for drills to do to get better and fingure shiz and exercises?