Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
jerzyhxc1161
CF Newbie

Synthetic oil...

Is synthetic oil really as big of a deal as they make it out to be? If so which is the best...Castrol?
jerzyhxc1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

i dont know if its "that big a deal," but it helps your engine run more smoothly giving it a longer life, some better gas mileage, and I presume more power. Castrol has been recommended by lots, but I don tknow which is the best. A downside is the price of it can get a little steep.

Last edited by salimander13 : 02-23-2006 at 05:30 AM.
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I'm servicing my car soon and I'm puttting mobil synth S in my car, I'm too cheap to buy the really good stuff mobil 1, it costs like $80 bucks ffs! synth S only costs $30. Both are full synthetic oils.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Those in the know buy Ams Oil. It isn't any more expensive than regular oil over time because you change every 15000 miles.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Vlad
CF Addict

I've been using Mobil 1 in my lude since I bought it, because thats what the previous owner used, and I guess you're supposed to stay with synthetic once you start using it. Works pretty well, but I do burn a bit of it vtecing, but thats normal for my car.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Since I switched to full synthetic on my Accord I consistently get 2-3mpg better than I did befoer on both the city and highway. Plus I change my oil every 7500 now.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE
Those in the know buy Ams Oil. It isn't any more expensive than regular oil over time because you change every 15000 miles.
Those in the know aren't stupid enough to go 15k miles between oil changes... EVER. No matter how good an oil is, it becomes contaminated at the same rate, therefore regular oil changes are still a requirement.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Those in the know aren't stupid enough to go 15k miles between oil changes... EVER. No matter how good an oil is, it becomes contaminated at the same rate, therefore regular oil changes are still a requirement.

I work in a Pennzoil quick lube, and I have to agree.
Always change it regularly, but since vw didn’t give a time frame I will. Regular oil especially Pennzoil and Quaker state always do every 3k miles, not sure if it's still true for both oils at this point but both were paraffin based which means the base product was bird oils (even if it's not still true, better safe then sorry I always say), now its good at lubing but it brakes down and becomes wax in side the engine if not changed regularly.
As for the other brands of regular oil, probably should be changed every 3k as well.

For semi syn feel free to stretch that to 3500, I use valvoline durablend in my breeze and it’s working very well, but I still only do 3k miles with it.

Now for the full syn stuff, I’ve talked to a lot of customers, fellow Fiero enthusiasts, and we all agree (you may not but those I’ve talked to do) almost all full syn are basically the same, and you should be able to push the oil change to ever 5k miles. I use Mobile 1 in the Fiero because its the name I know and trust, if you trust someone else keep trusting them I’ve heard nothing bad to make me say other wise.

As a little aside the Fiero has been running full syn nearly its whole life when the engine was rebuilt 40k miles ago and since then its seen the track several times, and been on the street several times. When I did its last compression test it was 130/150 across all 8, so even with all that hard driving not seeing any side effects yet.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Doesn't Porsche recocmend changing the oil every 15,000 for their cars at their regualr service trips or something like that?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Doesn't Porsche recocmend changing the oil every 15,000 for their cars at their regualr service trips or something like that?

I doubt it.

And the biggest difference between synthetic and regular is....

Fark. I can't remember what it's called. When the oil gunks up on the bottom of the pan, and prevents the oil from coming out, and bits getting past the filter and ruining the injectors...
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Yea, and I think BMW as well.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
I doubt it.

And the biggest difference between synthetic and regular is....

Fark. I can't remember what it's called. When the oil gunks up on the bottom of the pan, and prevents the oil from coming out, and bits getting past the filter and ruining the injectors...
dunno, sounds like coagulation though.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Um, no. That's what alot of manufacturers of cars and oil would like you to think so that's how they advertise. In a perfect world, with perfect weather, perfect driving conditions and the car being driven in a manner that is perfect for oil life longevity, it is theoretically possible for your oil to last that long. However, in the real world, where few things are perfect and people run the crap out of theie cars, oil needs to be changed far more often.

Many of the higher end manufacturers, BMW and Porsche being two, and even some less expensive brands, have oil life monitors in place on their vehicles. Using a map design based on bazillions of miles of test, the PCM looks at weather conditions, drivetrain temps, total rpm's as well as min, max and average rpm ranges, yada, yada, yada and determines how many miles you can go between oil changes. Of course, this varies from oil change to oil change based on the above factors and ASSUMES that you are using only the oil and filter recommended for the vehicle.

As you can see there are a lot of chances for error, but... You will very seldom see any car (with this type of system) go beyond 6k miles before the oil change indicator comes on. Most cars actually trip the indicator with, wait for it, mileage +25%/-5 of 3k miles. That last sentence is not only my observation at my shops, but also the observation of an automotive industry study I just read in the last month or so.

As technology marches on, oil change indicator systems will become more advanced. Anyone who is familiar with military or civian aircraft, may know something about OAP, oil analysis program. Basically an oil sample is taken on a regular basis (ususally after the first flight of every day) and is tested in a lab for contamination. This helps to identify trends, catch problems before they happen and determine when to change oil. After all, you don't want an engine on your F-22 to crap out at the wrong time. This is already available for your car through the mail, professional race teams employ it, and it's coming to a car in your driveway soon. There will be sensors inside your engine that will do essentially this analysis every time you drive and potentially increase oil change intervals.

Whew, after all that I hope I have a point. Oh yeah. The point is that you can stretch your oil changes as long as you want, but in the long run the only one you hurt is your engine. 3000 miles is a good rule of thumb for most cars. People who spend all their time on the interstate, like a traveling salesman, can get away with 5000 miles as I do with one of my personal cars. Of course those numbers are assuming the use of good oil (dino or synthetic) and a good filter (think Baldwin). Whatever I missed, or anything I didn't answer, please ask for clarification. But please don't waste your time and mine arguing with what I just typed, I have the facts to back it up 100%.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

I used Castrol Full Synthetic in my car for the fist time and it runs much smoother now. I even noticed im getting close to 21mpg instead of my regular 18. Its worth the money. At 60mph before my car was at 3000RPM with the foot off of the gas, but now its 2500
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I used Castrol Full Synthetic in my car for the fist time and it runs much smoother now. I even noticed im getting close to 21mpg instead of my regular 18. Its worth the money. At 60mph before my car was at 3000RPM with the foot off of the gas, but now its 2500
I don't know how to break this to you, but changing your brand of oil WILL NOT change the engine's RPM for any given gear or road speed.

You are the king of open mouth, insert foot. Aren't you tired of being thought a fool yet?