Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #31
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
you b@stard!! ... and yes, I did know what you meant, but what kind of world would this be if we didn't point out each other's mistakes?

lol, yup, and nothing like hobo showing up from the sidelines to help me out

score one for hobo/me

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #32
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No matter how much you might wish this to be true, it is not. The viscosity difference between 5W-30 and 10W-40 will not change the engines RPM. More to the point, that still does not take into account that for a given road speed with given gearing, the RPM will always be the same no matter what weight oit the engine has in it.

Think, type, submit.

OR

Open mouth, insert foot.
Well something is decreasing my RPM, making my car run smoother, and giving me better MPG. This happened right after my synthetic oil was put in, and im pretty sure that synthetic gives you better MPG, and makes your car run smoother. So where do you suggest the other factor is coming from?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 AM   #33
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Well something is decreasing my RPM, making my car run smoother, and giving me better MPG. This happened right after my synthetic oil was put in, and im pretty sure that synthetic gives you better MPG, and makes your car run smoother. So where do you suggest the other factor is coming from?
Your imagination, like every other stupid thing you come up with.

Open mouth, insert foot.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 AM   #34
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Your imagination, like every other stupid thing you come up with.

Open mouth, insert foot.
I saw that coming. But dont worry. Im not a jerkoff like you, so I got notihng to worry about. The car runs great, and you can take your own advice.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #35
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Well something is decreasing my RPM,
New gearbox?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #36
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

so wait... i'm not understanding something here.

old oil is dirty, and that could make the engine not run as well (untill it dies eventually). so, why would that not result in less torque being made at the same RPM? and if less torque is made, that's less force to push the car forwad. wouldn't that mean at the same RPM, old oil would make less hp, which would result in less speed?

that was my (basic) understanding of how changing oil can be beneficial. so if that's wrong, WHERE is the fault in reasoning? but of course, notice i'm not saying HOW much of a difference in speed (or rpm to reach said speed).
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 AM   #37
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I'm changing my oil soon, what is the best fully synthetic oil I can get? Castrol?
I was also wondering about which would be the best Transmission Fluid and flush kits were?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Last edited by Pythias : 02-24-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #38
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
New gearbox?
No it happened as soon as i changed the oil. Nothing wrong with the trans *knock on wood*

Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #39
ride3k
CF Addict

oil is what helps lube your engine, it helps the parts from creating heat through friction. not changing your oil results in messing up the inside of your cylinders b/c of friction between the piston and the walls of the block. I think this can lead to overheating and/or minimal loss of power, but i dont no for sure. I do know that different grades of oil will not substantilly increas or decrease the performnace of your engine, as long as your within the right specfications laid out by the manufacturer.

oil dosent increase the speed of your engines revolution, its decreases the energey required to make ONE revolution, thus decreasing feul consumed, thus producing better feul economy, but not more power.

and newyorker, maybe its just your looking at the Tach at a different time, dipshit, your not accounting human error into any of your thinking, OIL DOES NOT DECRASE RPMs BY 500RPM get over it

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

Old 02-24-2006, 04:54 AM   #40
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
so wait... i'm not understanding something here.

old oil is dirty, and that could make the engine not run as well (untill it dies eventually). so, why would that not result in less torque being made at the same RPM? and if less torque is made, that's less force to push the car forwad. wouldn't that mean at the same RPM, old oil would make less hp, which would result in less speed?

that was my (basic) understanding of how changing oil can be beneficial. so if that's wrong, WHERE is the fault in reasoning? but of course, notice i'm not saying HOW much of a difference in speed (or rpm to reach said speed).

old oil is not that bad for hp and tq issues, it mostly a wear and tear issue, the main reason for changing oil, this is my basic understanding from observation, research, and anything else ive seen/hear/felt

ask hobo for more, or chrisV or any one else that probably knows more

My 3000GT SL

Old 02-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #41
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:

You have this new oil for like a week and this is already so noticeable?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #42
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
You have this new oil for like a week and this is already so noticeable?
Yes. I already ran a full tank. The car ran smoother as soon as I rolled out of the mechanics parking lot. I hit 60 on philmont and the car didnt keep a high rpm like before but instead ran at a lower one. Gas milage has improved. Now I drive 60 and it feels like im going 40 because the engine keeps at lower rpm and its just quieter and smoother.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #43
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Yes. I already ran a full tank. The car ran smoother as soon as I rolled out of the mechanics parking lot. I hit 60 on philmont and the car didnt keep a high rpm like before but instead ran at a lower one. Gas milage has improved. Now I drive 60 and it feels like im going 40 because the engine keeps at lower rpm and its just quieter and smoother.

you talk about knowing cars so much but you had to go to a MECHANIC to get your oil changed? comon, i didnt even need help the first time i changed the oil on my car... geeze

and going 60, and having it feel like 40, is just asking for an accident to ahppen b/c you dont know what your speed is

My 3000GT SL

Old 02-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #44
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
you talk about knowing cars so much but you had to go to a MECHANIC to get your oil changed? comon, i didnt even need help the first time i changed the oil on my car... geeze

and going 60, and having it feel like 40, is just asking for an accident to ahppen b/c you dont know what your speed is
Itl take time for me to get used to it. The only reason I went to a mechanic to change my oil was because there was still snow in some places, it was really really cold outside, and it was wet. I didnt want to run my oil over its deadline, so I just went to get it done. My first oil change i did on the car I did myself (using grandpas tools). The sparkplugs I changed myself (grandpas tools). I can do my own oil changes, and prefer to do it myself, but this just was a case where weather didnt provide me with the right circumstances to lift the car in 40 degree cold.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 AM   #45
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
oil is what helps lube your engine, it helps the parts from creating heat through friction. not changing your oil results in messing up the inside of your cylinders b/c of friction between the piston and the walls of the block. I think this can lead to overheating and/or minimal loss of power, but i dont no for sure. I do know that different grades of oil will not substantilly increas or decrease the performnace of your engine, as long as your within the right specfications laid out by the manufacturer.

oil dosent increase the speed of your engines revolution, its decreases the energey required to make ONE revolution, thus decreasing feul consumed, thus producing better feul economy, but not more power.

and newyorker, maybe its just your looking at the Tach at a different time, dipshit, your not accounting human error into any of your thinking, OIL DOES NOT DECRASE RPMs BY 500RPM get over it
aren't the bold and underline parts contradictory?
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote