Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #61
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Some are only plastic.....alot of them are copper though I believe

I've only seen rubber thats why i said i think they only are rubber. But plastic and copper ones? Has a better chance of leaking no?
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #62
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Huh?

= Retarded

= Just plain stupid and ignorant and wont change mind

= me ROFL
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #63
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I've only seen rubber thats why i said i think they only are rubber. But plastic and copper ones? Has a better chance of leaking no?
Not really as both are fairly soft and will be squeazed nicely between the sump plug and the sump itself
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #64
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
= Retarded

= Just plain stupid and ignorant and wont change mind

= me ROFL
Yea....because me saying that my car on synthetic runs smoother, gets better mpg, and keeps at a lower rpm (due to changing from 10W-40 to 5W-30) is completely rediculous right? I call to you pal.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #65
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea....because me saying that my car on synthetic

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
runs smoother

Probably does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
gets better mpg

Mine does as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
and keeps at a lower rpm

Completely rediculous, absolutely inane, dumb, retarded, ignorant...I could think of more words, but you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
is completely rediculous right? I call to you pal.

It's not all completely rediculous, just the last statement. Kind of funny calling me a tard when no one is siding with your statement or is going to.

End.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #66
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
...



Probably does.



Mine does as well.



Completely rediculous, absolutely inane, dumb, retarded, ignorant...I could think of more words, but you get the idea.



It's not all completely rediculous, just the last statement. Kind of funny calling me a tard when no one is siding with your statement or is going to.

End.
Dont care who is siding with me. I said the rpm dropped because I went from thicker 10W-40 to 5W-30.
EDIT> Cars on synthetic get better MPG. Arent you curious as to how its possible?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 02-24-2006 at 08:37 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #67
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Dont care who is siding with me. I said the rpm dropped because I went from thicker 10W-40 to 5W-30.
EDIT> Cars on synthetic get better MPG. Arent you curious as to how its possible?
Yes, and you were also told that the oil wont affect that, right?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #68
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, and you were also told that the oil wont affect that, right?
OK Cliff and others. How does Synthetic 5W-30 vs. Conventional 10W-40 save gas? You say the RPM doenst drop. I didnt get magical stickers or oil filter for my car. Just a simple oil change. If you dont accept my theory, then how does synthetic save gas.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #69
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OK Cliff and others. How does Synthetic 5W-30 vs. Conventional 10W-40 save gas? You say the RPM doenst drop. I didnt get magical stickers or oil filter for my car. Just a simple oil change. If you dont accept my theory, then how does synthetic save gas.

synthetic oil makes it so that it causes less friction than conventional oil does and so less friction means less heat and less heat means less fuel consumption. correct me if im wrong
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #70
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
synthetic oil makes it so that it causes less friction than conventional oil does and so less friction means less heat and less heat means less fuel consumption. correct me if im wrong
And less friction means less work for the engine....hence lower consumption. At a guess
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #71
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
I'm going to take hobos advise and put in a simple question directed towards him so....

HOBO, how does synthetic oil save gas? (I also believe that by putting in synthetic oil doesn't neccessarily mean that you will save gas, but there is a higher chance that you will)
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #72
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
synthetic oil makes it so that it causes less friction than conventional oil does and so less friction means less heat and less heat means less fuel consumption. correct me if im wrong
And less friction means the cylinders flow more freely, and keep at a lower rpm, where there is more friction and they are higher?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #73
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning
 
salimander13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: southern cali
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
And less friction means the cylinders flow more freely, and keep at a lower rpm, where there is more friction and they are higher?

I would say they move more efficently not freely because they are still moving at the same rate they are just causing more power. Wouldn't it be like a spinning a wheel at the same rate. You have to put more effort into spinning the wheel if it is spinning on a dirty joint. Now clean that joint up and it will still spin at the same rate, but with less effort making it more efficient.
__________________
salimander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #74
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
I would say they move more efficently not freely because they are still moving at the same rate they are just causing more power. Wouldn't it be like a spinning a wheel at the same rate. You have to put more effort into spinning the wheel if it is spinning on a dirty joint. Now clean that joint up and it will still spin at the same rate, but with less effort making it more efficient.
So thats why my RPM dropped. At 60, they dont have to work as hard to produce and keep the speed, so they can work at a lower RPM and give the same power they would with conventional at a higher RPM. Make sense?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #75
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 106
Hate to break it to you Newyorker but Synthetic oil in no way reduces your RPM's It reduces Friction, which allows the engine to move the pistons with less effort = less heat which can improve gas mileage. With regular oil the pistons are still being moved at the same pace, but it takes more work for the engine to do it......but its always the same rpm's no matter what the hell you put in to it.
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.