Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Which is faster?

I'm in the final talkings with someone (again) for buying the Fiero, and because I’ve had a little time to drive it again I just cant go with a gas mileage oriented car.. Not yet anyway.

So, I’ve been doing my research again and this time I think I have it narrowed down 98-00 Grand Prix GTP or Chrysler 300M.
Both have 250HP, both weight just about the same (making them just about as fast as one another), one is super charged whilst the other isn’t... one is much sexier then the other and has more trunk space, one is much more luxurious then the other... yet the other is well known for its speed and kickassness.

SO I’m torn.
I think the 300M is sexier, something about the headlights, Plus it has auto stick and if your not familiar with it, it allows you to shift the auto trans manually, so if I put it in first gear and hit the throttle it’ll shift on its own at the red lines, or I can shift it how I want it; a feature not found on GTP.
So what are your thoughts? A stock GTP or 300M? Both say with the same mileage... same color (black) and say same 4 doors. Now keeping out the usual anti Chrysler tranny issue... what points make the GTP better or the 300M better?

You cant rely on "its a GM" only that’s not something that makes it better or worse.

or

I dunno I think the 300M has a little refinement that the GTP is lacking.

Last edited by TheFieroKid : 02-24-2006 at 05:20 AM.
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Personally, I find that both cars are a little too big for my own taste, but if I had to choose, I'd take the Pontiac. I like the styling a little better, though I don't really know what either interior looks like. The 300M's (that version) style is just a little too old man for me.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD

:Stupid: DITTO, The GTP apeals to me more than the 300M. (might have something to do with the fact that I'm somewhat baised against Daimler Chrysler)

O BTW...I've smoked 300Ms, they're not quick(I've left them behind in 3rd).
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Yeah, I'd take the Grand Prix also, the 300M doesn't really appeal to me too much for some reason.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
ride3k
CF Addict

im gunna stray away and say that 300m, all black with the chrome rims, actually looks quite nice, no experience driving in either, but by looks, id go with the 300

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
I'm in the final talkings with someone (again) for buying the Fiero, and because Iíve had a little time to drive it again I just cant go with a gas mileage oriented car.. Not yet anyway.

So, Iíve been doing my research again and this time I think I have it narrowed down 98-00 Grand Prix GTP or Chrysler 300M.
Both have 250HP, both weight just about the same (making them just about as fast as one another), one is super charged whilst the other isnít... one is much sexier then the other and has more trunk space, one is much more luxurious then the other... yet the other is well known for its speed and kickassness.

SO Iím torn.
I think the 300M is sexier, something about the headlights, Plus it has auto stick and if your not familiar with it, it allows you to shift the auto trans manually, so if I put it in first gear and hit the throttle itíll shift on its own at the red lines, or I can shift it how I want it; a feature not found on GTP.
So what are your thoughts? A stock GTP or 300M? Both say with the same mileage... same color (black) and say same 4 doors. Now keeping out the usual anti Chrysler tranny issue... what points make the GTP better or the 300M better?

You cant rely on "its a GM" only thatís not something that makes it better or worse.

I dunno I think the 300M has a little refinement that the GTP is lacking.
Do I detect a case of sever hypocrisy here? Why, yes I do. What happened to never owning a car that's bigger or more powerful than is necessary? What happened to only people who don't care about the lives of others or the future of our planet driving something as heavy and fuel inefficient as a car like a GTP or 300M? Or maybe you're like most other liberals and feel that you don't need to practice what you preach, that doing the right thing is only for the other guy. Shocking. Once again you have proven yourself to be a hypocrite of the first order.

If you really wanted to put your money where your mouth is, you'd drive one of these.

I can't wait to hear the indignant response. Make sure you have plenty of justification why others should do as you say and not as you do.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I've driven a 99 GTP and a 02? 300M and by far the GTP outperformed and outhandled the 300M by far, in my opinion, the GTP is a much better car overall.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

If I had more performance in mind, I'd get the GTP.

If I had more luxury in mind (cruiser car), I'd get the 300M.

But I wouldn't buy either if I had other choices.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do I detect a case of sever hypocrisy here? Why, yes I do. What happened to never owning a car that's bigger or more powerful than is necessary? What happened to only people who don't care about the lives of others or the future of our planet driving something as heavy and fuel inefficient as a car like a GTP or 300M? Or maybe you're like most other liberals and feel that you don't need to practice what you preach, that doing the right thing is only for the other guy. Shocking. Once again you have proven yourself to be a hypocrite of the first order.

If you really wanted to put your money where your mouth is, you'd drive one of these.

I can't wait to hear the indignant response. Make sure you have plenty of justification why others should do as you say and not as you do.

He drives a V8 Fiero, that should say enough about him being a hypocrite...

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

While I like the GTP, my personal choice would be the 300M Special.

A very classy car, more performance than you need in a street car, and vastly better build quality than the older GM design. And amzingly enough, I even like the stock wheels.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Ok one, my mom has one and consistently gets 30mpg on the highway with hers... so that’s the same fuel economy as my breeze!

You don’t see me driving a SUV, a super sports car, or a pick up truck... how is a sedan more then what I need? Its got a huge trunk that will hold all my studio supplies, and will hold 4 people...OMG 4 People in my car that’s such a hypocritical thing.

Heavy? All of 3500lbs? My breeze only weighs 3100lbs... God I don’t see where you’re coming from.

Its got a good crash safety ratting and cant do any more damage then any other car in its class... its not like its a 5k lb truck with a 10In lift...

You are just looking for an excuse to start a fight... and I don’t know why... maybe you feel inadequate to me.

And seriously WTF is that? That’s the ugliest car on the planet.
I could see my self driving a Honda Element… but there aren’t any in my area in my price range… and id rather go with a slightly more powerful sedan then a high gas mileage car, and 30 is where most cars are today, and that’s ok… whats not ok is saying I don’t need this big ass SUV but I’m going to drive it because I want others to look at me in my big truck, and I don’t care it only gets 12mpg who cares, that’s the attitude that’s wrong.

And for the last ****ing time, the Fiero is a project car and gets driven maybe a total of 4 months out of the year, and even then its only driven on the weekends! It’s a 10 year old engine swap and its only got 40k… so if that’s any idea of how often its driven!
I’ve got nothing against projects, if you have a project truck that you drive rarely and take to the trails cool super doper but its not a daily driver and shouldn’t be… just like my Fiero!

Now, can we stay on topic? or is that impossible for you?!?!?!?!?

Can I ask, why would 2 cars that weigh the same with the same HP have one faster then the other? I would think it was the driver.

Last edited by TheFieroKid : 02-24-2006 at 10:06 PM.
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Can I ask, why would 2 cars that weigh the same with the same HP have one faster then the other? I would think it was the driver.

Torque curve and gearing come to mind.

Has anyone found any hard numbers from when these cars were new? skidpad / 0-60 / 1/4 mile? I definitely would pick the GTP. Increasing the boost would be simple if desired and I detest the look/design of Chrysler/Dodge cab-forward cars.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE

Has anyone found any hard numbers from when these cars were new? skidpad / 0-60 / 1/4 mile? I definitely would pick the GTP. Increasing the boost would be simple if desired and I detest the look/design of Chrysler/Dodge cab-forward cars.

While you can just increase the boost, the tranny is the weak point in the supercharged V6 GM vehicles. From what I gather, they cant take much more torque than what the engine already is putting out, I understand using better tranny fluid helps, but doesnt solve the whole problem.

~Blow your mind~

Old 02-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE

The power band isnt really an issue because with auto stick you can keep the rpms where the power is... and for gearing... ya i supposed that could be a short fall.

I still think someone properly using auto stick should be able to tear a auto (did they make manuals?) GTP a new one.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Fender89
CF Newbie

i think the 300M looks newer and doesnt look at trashy as the ponitac.
Fender89 is offline   Reply With Quote