Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Question strange noises with 94 Sentra

I have a 94 Sentra (GA16DE) and it is a great car. It's my second car, my first being a 90 Civic DX (I miss that car). But anyways, my car makes two distinct funny noises. The first, on start-up, I have to push the clutch in extra far to start (the guy who sold me the car said its a security feature or somesuch, though not sure if I trust him on that), but sometimes I push it too far and it makes a wierd noise. it sounds sort of like something is rubbing, and is high-pitched. the sound is brief, about 1-2 seconds but then stops when I release the clutch. I'm not sure if this is a technical problem, or just that the clutch cable needs adjusting. (I usually start in neutral, is it better to start in neutral or first gear? I've never heard anybody say whether it wears on your transmission or not) Also, when my car idles it makes a sort of rattling noise sometimes, that I can hear distinctly. It has gained progressively more distinct, but it might be from the cold weather as it usually stops when my car warms up. Also, the rattling stops when I rev, but then ensues a little rattling, and sometimes steady rattling, when at idle. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
VertigoPills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoPills
I have a 94 Sentra (GA16DE) and it is a great car. It's my second car, my first being a 90 Civic DX (I miss that car). But anyways, my car makes two distinct funny noises. The first, on start-up, I have to push the clutch in extra far to start (the guy who sold me the car said its a security feature or somesuch, though not sure if I trust him on that), but sometimes I push it too far and it makes a wierd noise. it sounds sort of like something is rubbing, and is high-pitched. the sound is brief, about 1-2 seconds but then stops when I release the clutch. I'm not sure if this is a technical problem, or just that the clutch cable needs adjusting. (I usually start in neutral, is it better to start in neutral or first gear? I've never heard anybody say whether it wears on your transmission or not) Also, when my car idles it makes a sort of rattling noise sometimes, that I can hear distinctly. It has gained progressively more distinct, but it might be from the cold weather as it usually stops when my car warms up. Also, the rattling stops when I rev, but then ensues a little rattling, and sometimes steady rattling, when at idle. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? I'm not too familiar with these cars, but if its hydraulic then the system would have a fault somewhere.

And yes the clutch does have to pushed to the floor in ANY manual car in order to start it, if it starts without the clutch at the floor than it is technically not safe to drive on the road due to the fact that if you catch point is below that your car will just take off (and yes it will fail a safety inspection because of that.)
Also, anyway that you could pinpoint where abouts the noise is coming from?
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Is the clutch hydraulic or cable? I'm not too familiar with these cars, but if its hydraulic then the system would have a fault somewhere.

And yes the clutch does have to pushed to the floor in ANY manual car in order to start it, if it starts without the clutch at the floor than it is technically not safe to drive on the road due to the fact that if you catch point is below that your car will just take off (and yes it will fail a safety inspection because of that.)

Cable I believe. I don't believe it would be hydraulic, I mean the car isn't exactly luxury or performance based. It is a very basic commuter car, and the only special thing about it is having both front and rear anti-roll bars. It doesn't even have a remote trunk lid/gas hatch opener, both of which my girlfriend has in her 89 camry. If I need to open the trunk, gotta turn the car off to get the key out and open it manually lol.

Not sure where the clutch noise is coming from... I could have a friend listen to me start-up and he/she could tell me where about the noise is coming from. What do you think could be causing the second noise, the rattling when in idle? The first noise is just briefly and only when turning the ignition.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Well if the noise is breifly when starting, is anything loose inside the engine compartment? because if you actually look at the engine when you are starting it, it shakes pretty good. So possibly something is banging on the body of the car when you start it. Also when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? Before you call me a idiot because its manual, it does need to be changed periodically, usually when the clutch is changed though. It could possibly be a bearing that is slowly giving out
Old 02-27-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

Erm...If you posses any common sense at all, you'll have the car in neutral when ya start it. That way, it's perfectly safe to start without dipping the clutch! I only know of a couple of cars with this feature, Hyundai being one. Maybe it's more commonplace in the US due you most cars being Auto? I dunno lol. But as I think you've already stated, it's to ensure ya dont fly off down the road if you left the vehicle in gear....

As for the clutch problem, sounds like the release bearing to me, chances are the clutch is on it's way out Also, I think you'll find it is hydraulic, most Jap cars have them, they dont have to be up-market models!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-27-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Thanks! All this help is appreciated. Also, I'm curious what you guys think about ceramic brake pads/clutch plates. Is it worth the cost? Do they really last longer? I'm second owner of car and it has 133k miles... would it be worth it to spend the extra money to get parts that last longer? I'm not familiar with many people who have owned Sentras, so their life-line is not as common knowledge to me as say civics, accords, camrys, corollas, or tercels.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
97Talonchik
discombobulated

My stepdad also has a 1994 Sentra. It has over 250,000 miles on it. The only major problem was the muffler which was replaced about a year ago. Other than that, we've only had to replace the general maintenance items on it.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Ceramic pads are nice, they create virtually no brake dust so your rims stay clean. As far as ceramic clutches, they do last longer and have little more bite to them, but it isn't really worth it considering if you take good care of the clutch and go easy on it, it can last over 200,000km (yes I have seen this happen, and that particular one is still running strong
Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #9
frizzal
CF Newbie

So did you figure out what your noises were? And i go ceramic on brakes and clutches when i replace them. My sister is getting my old 88 sentra from my parents and i changed the clutch and pads on it to ceramic. I have noticed the reduced brake dust and the clutch really grabs hold so beware of that when you first drive it after the repair/upgrade. Good luck man.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Quote:
Ceramic pads are nice, they create virtually no brake dust so your rims stay clean. As far as ceramic clutches, they do last longer and have little more bite to them, but it isn't really worth it considering if you take good care of the clutch and go easy on it, it can last over 200,000km (yes I have seen this happen, and that particular one is still running strong

I'm not sure if the guy who I bought from has ever changed the clutch before... he said it was his wife's old car, so I'm assuming no. That probably means the clutch <i>is</i> going out. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 AM   #11
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Thumbs up

One more thing... if I removed my air-conditioning (which I don't use), does it constitute a significant amount of weight or should I just leave it in? I'm most likely NOT selling this car... hope to keep it until it dies. Also, I wouldn't mind taking out the power steering if that would also lower the weight on the car a significant amount. I don;t really NEED power steering in it, right? Is there an online source for doing these things without screwing up one's car, or must I figure it out myself by tinkering with it?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Umm, have you ever tried to drive a car with no power steering? I would say it's a good way to build up your biceps and triceps.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Umm, have you ever tried to drive a car with no power steering? I would say it's a good way to build up your biceps and triceps.
Heh, it would be a good way to get more mami's
Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik

I had a 90 civic dx... pretty sure they don't have power steering though I could be wrong. If it did, then obviously it was going out, as well as my current car's power steering is shitty, compared to my girlfriend's 89 camry in which the power steering is much better. But on the air-conditioning... would it offer a considerable lower weight by removing it? I don't use it at all, plus usually keep my window down a bit anyways for fresh air.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Why are you wanting to lower the weight? Are you going to be racing in a Sentra? Sorry to laugh if you are serious...no I'm not that's f'ing funny.