Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Kris
CF Newbie

Engine Problem... Mass Air Flow Meter??

Hi, I drive a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Non-Turbo. There is 96,000 miles on the engine. Ok so heres the thing, when i give the car gas it has very bad low end torque. Much worse than it should. It wont spin the wheels even though its rear wheel drive and has 220 horespower. Thats not right an engine with that much power should be able to do this. So ok this is what happens,
  1. From first gear car is floored (just as a test)
  2. RPM slowly rises until it gets to about 2,200RPM
  3. The engine feels like it is doing a lot of work to move the car and wont go past 2,200RPM for a second or two
  4. After the engine passes the point where it accelerates real slow and gets to about 2,600 rpm, it only then really starts to pull.

So, I dont know what this low end power loss im having. When the engine is at about 3,000 rpm and im going like 20 mph and the throttle is opend to 100% it pulls harder than if i was stopped and throttle was applied 100% in first gear. It almost feels like when the engine goes to 2,000 RPM it gets powered down if the transmission shifted into second or third gear, it feels like its working very hard. So I think this is the mass air flor meter is not working properly. I have checked for airleaks and cant really find anything. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

If it's an auto gearbox, it quite possibly wont wheel spin. RWD cars wont spin as much as FWD cars anyway, as in a FWD the wheels are pulling the car, whereas in RWD form, they're pushing it. Lets face it, it aint gonna be the quickest car on the road anyway lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
1volvotech
CF Newbie

power loss

got a few questions for you.
1st. has this happened overtime or was is just recently
2nd if recently what were your driving conditions, i.e. (full throttle, racing,...)
3rd Are you hearing any uncommon noises that you haven't noticed before from the engine.
very well could be MAF but when the car idles does it idle lower than usual? if so take some TB cleaner or Carb cleaner and with the engine running spray a little bit at vacuum line connections and around the intake manifold edges, you may have a intake gasket starting to leak.
1volvotech is offline   Reply With Quote