Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Decided to go ahead with some work to the car

OK by end of summer time i am hoping to drop around 1k into the car. Here is what I am thinking. Get the wheels painted like this (its a rendering I want them a bit darker kinda like echelago has them...
Get the car dropped, and get a muffler (chrome for looks not power)
here is the problem. I need to decide on the suspention. Since I estimate that painting the wheels will cost me around 200 dollars. Therefor I have 600-700 left to do suspention work (leaving me with 100 for the muffler).
I found a suspention kit on eBay by KYB struts and Maxspeed lowering springs.
These are the springs.
Are they any good?
And these are the shocks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-Gas-Shocks-Struts-GR-2-95-1999-Dodge-Neon-GR2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ8039673 239QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
And these springs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAXSPEED-LOWERING-SPRINGS-94-99-DODGE-NEON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ804196 6081QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Since im on a tight budget, these fit right in, and im sure i can get them installed for 300 or so total. Another thing...would I need to get a new alignment with these? Will they fit right (without the tires rubbing the sidewall). Will they last is the most important thing (dont want to have to spend another 600 in a year. Reason for this is that my suspention is dying (struts are knocking and are getting loose (might be kinda typical after 70k miles). So what do you guys think? Go or no?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 02-27-2006 at 03:36 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

$300 for installing new shocks and springs???? thats just insane... should cost under $100 (at least i get it done at that price).

KYB shocks are very good. not the best in the world, but very damn good and they have a high level of "bang for the buck".

as for the springs, never heard of them.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
$300 for installing new shocks and springs???? thats just insane... should cost under $100 (at least i get it done at that price).

KYB shocks are very good. not the best in the world, but very damn good and they have a high level of "bang for the buck".

as for the springs, never heard of them.
Friend said he will install 4 shocks and 4 springs for $200. He did it to his brothers celica and it looks hot..well they did it together....Nissan_Altima might know him by the name of Bogdan
The springs give a 1.3 inch drop in the back and a 1.6 in the front. Will this make car the noticably lower?

Last edited by newyorker : 02-27-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

it should, an inch is a long drop.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
it should, an inch is a long drop.
Its like 1.5.........how much is your car dropped? Can you find a pic of a neon lowered 1.5 inches?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

i wish i knew the stock height of my car..... i think its in the haynes manual, ill check when i get home.

but, last time i checked (the tires are flat atm.... well sort of), on the sides it was around 6 inches from the ground...... i think..... bah, ill just measure it again today and compensate for the low tire in the rear.

an inch and a half isnt a long distance.... but when it comes to dropping a car's height, then 1.5in isnt minute.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
i wish i knew the stock height of my car..... i think its in the haynes manual, ill check when i get home.

but, last time i checked (the tires are flat atm.... well sort of), on the sides it was around 6 inches from the ground...... i think..... bah, ill just measure it again today and compensate for the low tire in the rear.

an inch and a half isnt a long distance.... but when it comes to dropping a car's height, then 1.5in isnt minute.
Huh? You think itl look better dropped and with the wheels powdercoated black?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OK by end of summer time i am hoping to drop around 1k into the car. Here is what I am thinking. Get the wheels painted like this (its a rendering I want them a bit darker kinda like echelago has them...
$200???? Where are you gettting them painted for $200 and how??? It was gonna cost me $75 per wheel to powder coat the 13's I got that came with the car(that was with my Car Club's hookup). Why not get some used aftermarket wheels? I paid $250 for mine and that was with tires.
Quote:
Get the car dropped, and get a muffler (chrome for looks not power)
here is the problem. I need to decide on the suspention. Since I estimate that painting the wheels will cost me around 200 dollars. Therefor I have 600-700 left to do suspention work (leaving me with 100 for the muffler).
I found a suspention kit on eBay by KYB struts and Maxspeed lowering springs.
These are the springs.
Are they any good?
And these are the shocks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-Gas-Shocks-Struts-GR-2-95-1999-Dodge-Neon-GR2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ8039673 239QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
And these springs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAXSPEED-LOWERING-SPRINGS-94-99-DODGE-NEON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ804196 6081QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Since im on a tight budget, these fit right in, and im sure i can get them installed for 300 or so total. Another thing...would I need to get a new alignment with these? Will they fit right (without the tires rubbing the sidewall). Will they last is the most important thing (dont want to have to spend another 600 in a year. Reason for this is that my suspention is dying (struts are knocking and are getting loose (might be kinda typical after 70k miles). So what do you guys think? Go or no?

First of all save your money for a nice performance muffler as you'll end up getting something cheap for $100 (unless your going for rice, then fine). Second, I never heard of the springs but the struts you choose are great for people on a budget. When I bought my EG6, she was already lowered. And slowly but surely, it has taken it's toll on the stock shocks (then again, your not supposed to use the stock shocks with lowering springs ). I was thinking of getting some Koni or KYB struts, but I decided to sacrifice a little, and get some coilovers soon. I'm not sure if dropping your car 1.5 inches would lead to tire rubbing. Why don't you do what many people who lower their cars do and remove the plastic wheather strip thing(not sure what its called) in your tire wells? Sure, it's a pain in the ass when it rains, but you won't be rubbing. As for will it be noticeable, yes a 1 inch drop will be noticeable. Will a 1.5 inch drop be more noticeable???Hhhmmm, only speed bumps will let you know for sure.

Personally, I don't like your wheels, and less black. The spokes are too fat for my taste. Seriously, do some shopping around, you might find something you like.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Huh? You think itl look better dropped and with the wheels powdercoated black?
minute..... the word doesnt just mean TIME.... also means something diminutive.... something small..... insignificant, etc.

get it?

as for the wheels..... honestly, no offense, but the damn green doesnt rub off on me, not on your car at least.

the black wheels along with that dark green color on that car....... i just cant. if the car had been white.... or some light color (yellow would be nice), then yea.

i hate to say this, but since you're on a budget, ill make an exception. i personally prefer that u go to Pep Boys and buy a set of their cheap ass rims (some of which amusingly do look nice) before u ever think of painting the ones u have right now.

like chango said, the spokes are too thick. some multispokes would look nice on your car.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
as for the wheels..... honestly, no offense, but the damn green doesnt rub off on me, not on your car at least.

the black wheels along with that dark green color on that car....... i just cant. if the car had been white.... or some light color (yellow would be nice), then yea.
Your absolutly right, it just...doesn't go. Sorry Newyorker. However the alloy look(silver, not chrome) looks good on your ride.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
mx3_monster
im completely sane

should look pretrty good cant wait until its done

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

just a question, are your "rims" rims or wheel covers?
if theyre wheel covers, then really dont bother., id just take em off.
but multispoke rims would look good like other people have said

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
just a question, are your "rims" rims or wheel covers?
if theyre wheel covers, then really dont bother., id just take em off.
but multispoke rims would look good like other people have said
u know, i think you're right. if u look close enough, they really do look like simple wheel covers....

Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
u know, i think you're right. if u look close enough, they really do look like simple wheel covers....
POWDER COATED HUB CAPS???? Nice one !!!! Good luck with that Newyorker.

Unless of course they really are hub caps and you really were seriuos about getting them powder coated.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
POWDER COATED HUB CAPS???? Nice one !!!! Good luck with that Newyorker.

Unless of course they really are hub caps and you really were seriuos about getting them powder coated.

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote