Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
stonks_98
CF Newbie

Volvo 940 brake problems

Firstly, check out this site: <Link Removed>

I'm having a very annoying problem with my Volvo 940 - There is excessive travel in the brake pedal. The brake pedal only engages the breaks when the pedal has been pressed down almost completely. Once pressed down about 90% of the way the brakes work as normal - i.e. no problems with the brakes themselves.

I have tried to bleed the breaks but this has been to no avail! I have heard that this is a common problem with this model. Can anyone help? Is this potentially a major problem? - As the brakes seem to work fine as they are, I just have to be very careful!

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-27-2006 at 04:21 PM.
stonks_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonks_98

I'm having a very annoying problem with my Volvo 940 - There is excessive travel in the brake pedal. The brake pedal only engages the breaks when the pedal has been pressed down almost completely. Once pressed down about 90% of the way the brakes work as normal - i.e. no problems with the brakes themselves.

I have tried to bleed the breaks but this has been to no avail! I have heard that this is a common problem with this model. Can anyone help? Is this potentially a major problem? - As the brakes seem to work fine as they are, I just have to be very careful!
Firstly, read the rules. You'll notice that there's alot there on "advertising"...hence why I deleted the link you gave us.

As for the brakes, it sounds like you have some air in the system. Have you tried bleeding them out?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonks_98

Umm he said he did ^---
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Umm he said he did ^---
Whoops...my mistake lol.

Did you use a pressure bleeder on the brakes? or do it manually by cracking off the bleed nipple?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Firstly, read the rules. You'll notice that there's alot there on "advertising"...hence why I deleted the link you gave us.

As for the brakes, it sounds like you have some air in the system. Have you tried bleeding them out?

i was gonna say bleed the brakes too but then I too, noticed he said that
i dont know what the problem is if its not that.
maybe google might show up with something since its a common problem

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
i was gonna say bleed the brakes too but then I too, noticed he said that
i dont know what the problem is if its not that.
maybe google might show up with something since its a common problem
If he manually bled them through, it's possible he didn't do it enough

Old 02-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
carls47807
CF Freak

i'm guessing you bled all four wheels?

i don't know much about volvo's, but it could be a rear shoe problem

of course it probably has rear disc brakes...
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
1volvotech
CF Newbie

brakes

I've replaced quite a few master cylinders on those cars and have also had to replace a few brake lines. Does your car have ABS? if so you need to check the lines at the ABS module, there have been problems with the battery rubbing the lines and causing small pin holes, that is if your battery is located on the LF side of the engine bay. There may also be a control valve at the bottom of the firewall, under the master cylinder and vacuum booster, check this for leakage. I've also noticed that when trying to manually bleed brake systems on volvo's that it can be difficult to remove all the air from the lines, I always use a pressurized flush machine to do this, but if you don't have access to one, then make sure that you bleed the brakes in this order. RR, LR, RF, LF. Hopefully some of this info will be of use to you.
1volvotech is offline   Reply With Quote