Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
SteelSpirit
CF Newbie

'03 Tiburon Clutch and Flywheel

Hi, everyone.
I own an '03 Hyundai Tiburon GT (V6) and seem to have a problem with burning clutches every 20k miles or so. I thought at first that perhaps I have been doing something wrong, even though I consider myself a good driver (yes, I double clutch all the time) and I do "baby" my car. I only have some minor mods installed (CAI, Nology wires, catback exhaust). I did some research and found that the '03 Tiburons do indeed have a problem with clutches burning out prematurely.
I am planning on installing a Clutchmasters FX-200 and a Clutchmaster Lightwheel Flywheel, as I'd rather spend a little extra money on a clutch that won't burn instead of spending 1 grand every 17k miles on the POS OEM unit. Since I am by no means an automtive expert, I was wondering if there are any considerations to look at before installing an aftermarket clutch. These are reported to have 28% more hold and shift nearly as smoothly as the OEM clutches.
Will I have to replace my master/slave cylinder? Could an aftermarket clutch cause even more problems?
Thanks everyone for the help.
SteelSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
carls47807
CF Freak

does it come with a new flywheel too?

I don't know why they are bragging about better hold, it either slips or it doesn't. I would guess if it is made of tougher materials it would mess up your flywheel a lot sooner, much like a harder brake pad would.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

The fact is, the materials have a higher co-efficient of friction, therefore allowing the clutch to grab harder. With OEM units, sometimes the amount of hp that the car actually has passes what the clutch can handle. The clutch actually starts to slip when you apply too much power even though you are not pushing the clutch in. This is due to the fact the static friction that it has is not able to hold under the amount of torque you are giving it.
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote