Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #31
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
The amount of SPL that a sub gets is related to the amount of power that it puts out, the surface area of the cone, and the excursion of the sub. You can have a 50" sub but if it has an excursion of like 1cm, a 10" that does 4" could easily pound it out. The power rating is mostly how fast and quick it is able to change direction. For high SPL, get the subs that have the highest surface area times the excursion. RMS rating plays a big role too...usually the higher the RMS the bigger the excursion, but not always. It also depends what material the cone is made of. If it flexes relatively easy or is too heavy it will hamper the bass...which is the main reason why they stopped making subs out of that paperish cardboard.
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #32
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
The amount of SPL that a sub gets is related to the amount of power that it puts out, the surface area of the cone, and the excursion of the sub. You can have a 50" sub but if it has an excursion of like 1cm, a 10" that does 4" could easily pound it out. The power rating is mostly how fast and quick it is able to change direction. For high SPL, get the subs that have the highest surface area times the excursion. RMS rating plays a big role too...usually the higher the RMS the bigger the excursion, but not always. It also depends what material the cone is made of. If it flexes relatively easy or is too heavy it will hamper the bass...which is the main reason why they stopped making subs out of that paperish cardboard.

You forgot one main component. Sensitivity. If you have a sub that is 84db and one that is 87db it would take twice the power (theoritically) with the 84db one to hit the same SPL as the 87db one.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #33
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You forgot one main component. Sensitivity. If you have a sub that is 84db and one that is 87db it would take twice the power (theoritically) with the 84db one to hit the same SPL as the 87db one.


That's why I generally look for subs that sit at a minimum of 89dB...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #34
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
dont the 160's do like 130 db's? so arent they SUPER loud then?
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #35
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
dont the 160's do like 130 db's? so arent they SUPER loud then?

Two 16OV.2's in a ported box powered by a Nine.1 will do well into the 140's.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #36
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
and what does that mean?
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #37
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
and what does that mean?


It means it's easily loud enough to a) make you deaf and b) give you stomach problems if you listen to it at that volume fo awhile and lastly c) give you a sense of imbalance thanks to shifting fluids in your inner ear.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #38
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
thats all im looking for in a sub
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #39
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
thats all im looking for in a sub


then you deserve a cookie with your name on it muffin.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #40
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
is that an insult?
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #41
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
is that an insult?


if you can't tell that it is.....
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #42
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
ok then.
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #43
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
ok then.


Hey, I'm not the dumbass who's going to go deaf, and probably end up getting tickets for my stereo.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #44
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
i can tell already, he's gonna blast it going by churchs and schools. just another stupid kid that wants his friends down the block to hear it instead of him... have u ever heard a sub POUNDING like 30 feet away? sounds like ****ing shit if u dont have the odnt have the rest of the song, keep the bass to yourself.

or thanks to you, it will soon become a 10ft law.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #45
illusion34
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 294
wtf are you guys talking about... did i ever say i was gonna do that? fkn jerks.
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.