Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Wondering abotu a Transmission Flush

I am wondering whether I should have my transmission fully drained nad flush or not. My car has a little over 150k miels on it and I have no knowledge of other maintenance on my car. I would really like to have this odne and have the filter changed of course because I want to keep everything in good shape but some people recommend to just drain and replace the filter and not have the flush done where they hook up the machine to the tranny and flush everything out.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
PTT1
CF Newbie

tranny flush..............

An "old school" transmission man once told me that unless you have been unfortunate enough to have grenaded a transmission or have been doing flushes since the tranny unit was new that you open a can of worms by doing a flush on a high mileage tranny. It seems that it loosens sludge from the little nooks and crannies and the tranny will quite possibly fail down the road as a result of the flush. Makes since to me that if the transmission has no issues at 100k+ that a regular old "drop the pan and replace the filter/fluid" job would be the way to go. I always do a pan drop job with a used vehicle and pay attention to the Mfgs. recommended fluid type. Good Luck.
PTT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak

ive changed the trans fluid and filter on 200000 miles trannys and ran them in derbys, i have a turbo350 with over 180000 miles on it and 9 derbys and half of those derbys i didnt run a trans cooler and shes still going strong. if the trans is going to fail, its going to fail. i also run lucas w/ it.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Mhmmm I think I will have to consult some others about this. I want it to last longer, and keep it in good shape is all, not give it a chance at failing I definitely can't afford something like that happening right now.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote