Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
tigger2864
CF Newbie

Jetta won't start without lights on

I have a 1996 VW Jetta GLS, 111K miles, auto trans. In May, 2005 she wouldn't start. No clicking, no nothing when I turned the key. A new starter, spark plugs, battery and idle control unit were installed. The grounds under the battery tray were also replaced and the main computer harness was cleaned. Everything was fine for a few months and then one day I couldn't start my car. This time I would hear a clunking sound when I turned the key. I turned on my lights to see if they worked. The did so I turned them off. Tried again and she started right up. For a few months afterward she would periodically not want to start. I turn on lights, turn them off, she starts right up. Last week the turn on lights/turn off started to not work. I turned on lights, left them on, she started right up. Yesterday she wouldn't start again. I turned lights on but this time they didn't actually light up and got a clunk when I tried to start her. I waited a minute and tried again. Lights came on and she started no problem. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
tigger2864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Did you take it somewhere to get all of that replaced or did you do it yourself?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote