Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
JJ Cullen
CF Newbie

Gear Change revving problem

Hi All,
Hope you can give some expert advice on a problem I'm having. I have a manual tranmission. When I change up the gears the car revs above 3000rpm. And accelerates (if I can call it that) very, very slowly. This issue I'm sure may have been addressed before but I would appreciate any comments.
MAny thanks, JJ Cullen.
JJ Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
carls47807
CF Freak

i don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking about. be more specific. (ie. what kind of car when it revs, etc.)

maybe try taking your foot off the gas before you put the clutch in?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

First of all, a manual transmission does not rev when you change gears unless you actually push the accelerator down. The slow acceleration is due to the fact that the clutch is just sitting there spinning instead of transfering the power. If you keep the car like this, your clutch will wear out extremely fast
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Cullen
Hi All,
Hope you can give some expert advice on a problem I'm having. I have a manual tranmission. When I change up the gears the car revs above 3000rpm. And accelerates (if I can call it that) very, very slowly. This issue I'm sure may have been addressed before but I would appreciate any comments.
MAny thanks, JJ Cullen.

Try taking your foot off the gas right before you put the clutch in, changing gears, disengaging the clutch-pedal and then put gas on.

Do you have the throttle still engaged when you depress the clutch-pedal, or before the gear is in? You shouldn't.

VertigoPills is offline   Reply With Quote